Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish people supporting English football teams

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Gonad wrote: »
    Irish people are some of the most hypocritical in the world . We claim to be this special proud country that looks after our own. The truth is we hate to see our own do well and would rather pay out money to fly to the uk to watch football rather than spending a few quid a week supporting our nearest Irish team .

I’ve never heard anyone, other than a politician, claim this to be a special proud country. Other nationalities claim the Irish are hospitable and friendly, this is a myth, probably caused by emigration from our “proud country” to other worldly parts where the need to fit in makes us like lick arses.

I don’t mind anyone doing well, but watching Irish league football, or Irish national football is comparative to water boarding at Guantanamo bay - sounds great until you actually do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

begbysback wrote: »
    I’ve never heard anyone, other than a politician, claim this to be a special proud country. Other nationalities claim the Irish are hospitable and friendly, this is a myth, probably caused by emigration from our “proud country” to other worldly parts where the need to fit in makes us like lick arses.

I don’t mind anyone doing well, but watching Irish league football, or Irish national football is comparative to water boarding at Guantanamo bay - sounds great until you actually do it.

LOI has improved a lot and is more like top League 1 to middle Championship. Irish League I agree on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I've seen lads who support a London team, jeer lads who support a Manchester team. Calling them "northern scum". Or "we won the league last year, shur yooze haven't won it for years"
    A safe bet that none of them have never even been to England.
    Cringe of the highest order, I was almost blushing listening to them.
    Fat lads supping pints, who wouldn't run up a flight of stairs, giving their professional opinion on a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Your Face wrote: »
    I don't support any English teams but I always watch Barca play and I've been to a few of their matches.
    I've gone to a load of LOI games and tbh it's boring stuff and of low quality.
    If I'm paying, I want to be entertained so I can see why people would follow a premiership team.
    Premiership clubs Huddersfield and Cardiff have played some classic stuff this season all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Edgware wrote: »
    Premiership clubs Huddersfield and Cardiff have played some classic stuff this season all right.

The other 18 have been decent to be fair.

Don't see the issue with anyone supporting a foreign team. Football is entertainment so who cares. Once you don't get carried away and start smashing peoples heads in because they don't support your beloved 'fackin Millwall, bruv' I think you're alright.

I support teams from England, Germany, Spain and Italy because they entertain me. If I wasn't entertained I would just go do something else instead of watching football.

• Advertisement

The other 18 have been decent to be fair.

Don't see the issue with anyone supporting a foreign team. Football is entertainment so who cares. Once you don't get carried away and start smashing peoples heads in because they don't support your beloved 'fackin Millwall, bruv' I think you're alright.

I support teams from England, Germany, Spain and Italy because they entertain me. If I wasn't entertained I would just go do something else instead of watching football.
    You cant judge a premiership team on five minutes shown on MOTD. I dont think too many would sit down and watch 90 minutes of matches involving the bottom 8 in the Premiership on a continual basis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Edgware wrote: »
    You cant judge a premiership team on five minutes shown on MOTD. I dont think too many would sit down and watch 90 minutes of matches involving the bottom 8 in the Premiership on a continual basis

No, probably not. Why would you if its not entertaining? I have seen a few good games involving lower half teams this season though, they aren't all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    I've seen lads who support a London team, jeer lads who support a Manchester team. Calling them "northern scum". Or "we won the league last year, shur yooze haven't won it for years"
    A safe bet that none of them have never even been to England.
    Cringe of the highest order, I was almost blushing listening to them.
    Fat lads supping pints, who wouldn't run up a flight of stairs, giving their professional opinion on a game.

I am sure all sports has its fair share of barstoolers,

Maybe football is just amplified due to it being the most popular.

plenty of Horse Racing Experts come out the woodwork @ Cheltenham time or same whent the SIx Nations is on in the Egg Chasing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Why do Irish people follow Judean religions?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Gbear wrote: »

'cos Crom Dubh is a corrupt bastard and is on a huge salary while the local lad who looks after the wishing tree might be doing it on a voluntary basis and doesn't even get expensed for the white rags he ties to the branches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,166 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Gbear wrote: »

SPLITTERS!!!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,272 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I once had a friend of 20 years stop talking to me, COMPLETELY beause I didnt have a problem with the queen coming over here, becase he "hated the English" .

He was a huge Leeds fan, bought the jerseys, went to matches, etc. Then moved to Australia for a while.

Still hasnt talked to me since.

go Figure

What is funnier are the rabid republicans who support Liverpool. They will splutter about Protestants and the Orange Order one minutes and the next be on a Liverpool thread defending their team. If only they knew some history.....

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/question-of-religion-as-basis-for-support-still-contentious-1.1655070

"Liverpool FC’s founder, John Houlding, eight of its early board members and many others associated with it were deeply involved with the Conservative Party and also, in many cases, both the Freemasons and the city’s deeply-sectarian Working Men’s Conservative Association which, in turn, had strong links to the local Orange Order."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I’m sure Irish people support American football teams. Watch foreign films. Listen to musicians from outside Ireland . Don’t see the problem supporting foreign soccer teams .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Actually I find the whole love in Irish football supporters have for English football teams just downright embarrassing. I really do.

My wife is English and I really do cringe when I am back home in a pub/bar etc its just wall to wall English football. I mean if I was her I'd be thinking what's the effing difference between here and England? And if it is not football it's effing Coronation Street or Eastenders or at Christmas bloody darts from London.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Oh yeah, but would you get so upset and into fights with somebody over a tennis player? People who've never set foot in either Liverpool or Manchester get in huge arguments with each other, call each other scouse scum or manc scum etc. Obviously, that's not everyone but it's a bit pathetic isn't it?

I think a huge part of this is down to culture but I do find soccer can bring out the worst in me when I’m playing and watching.

I’m actually playing tennis tonight after only going back to it in the last week or two after 30 years of soccer and GAA. They are just chalk and cheese sports in terms of fans and playing. Tennis is way more relaxing to play and watch and there is a far more respectful competivess. Even chilling out and watching others play tennis surprised me at how relaxed I felt.

Soccer unashamedly excuses, encourages and rewards bully tactics, cheating (strategic cheating) and at its highest levels is corrupt through and through. There is no respect in the game between players, fans, officials and even team mates in many cases. That is the accepted norm of the sport so it’s no surprise you get warped support where quite crazy/toxic relationships/rivalries are born.

There are two different 5 aside groups I can play on. One of them is aggressive and brings out the worst in me. I get way more physical cause it’s full of players who kick the legs off you and get thick if you give it back. I sometimes even target people who need to be given a bit of the rough stuff they have been dishing out. I’m not big or strong or a hard man it just makes me angry and I get very aggressive which I hate.

And then there is another 5 aside that’s more relaxed and fun. I play this and enjoy it more because generally everybody playing it is on the same page. No sliding tackles etc. you only need one twat to ruin that and it actually happened where some lads ended up having a fight.

Soccer can just bring out the worst in people.

But the question of how somebody who doesn’t live in Liverpool or Manchester can be so emotional about their teams is just born out of ignorance. It doesn’t matter why I have a strong affinity or love for Manchester United , particularly if a person is pig ignorant and self absorbed (I don’t understand it therefore it’s stupid) enough to think that it shouldn’t matter to me because I don’t live there. I don’t live in Westeros and get excited about GOT!

Actually I find the whole love in Irish football supporters have for English football teams just downright embarrassing. I really do.

My wife is English and I really do cringe when I am back home in a pub/bar etc its just wall to wall English football. I mean if I was her I'd be thinking what's the effing difference between here and England? And if it is not football it's effing Coronation Street or Eastenders or at Christmas bloody darts from London.

You can always stay in England if you find it so embarassing or let us know when you are on the way and we will organise some ceili dancers to welcome you.
    Do you like buttermilk with your spuds?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Jesus!!
    OP here since 2011 and this is the best they can come up with.
    1/10.
    Hack of this thread.
    Use the search function FFS!

Guessing Woodsie is a Man Utd fan. classic instant rage is a give away

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

is_that_so wrote: »
    LOI has improved a lot and is more like top League 1 to middle Championship. Irish League I agree on.

Lets not get carried away now. It's League 2 to bottom of League 1 at a push. (Which is still a high standard in relative terms)

It's certainly going in the right direction though. I'm noticing bigger crowds every season, lets hope the trend continues. Nothing beats live football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Smashmouth

And then when they die they have a Liverpool jersey on top of the coffin at the church. Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Smashmouth wrote: »
    And then when they die they have a Liverpool jersey on top of the coffin at the church. Bizarre.
    Not really. They do ask people to bring things the deceased loved. Some things may not make sense to anyone outside of the family. Bit of a dumpster dive if you're going after dead people to prove a point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Smashmouth wrote: »

Funnily enough I was at a funeral only yesterday (my neighbors father) and YNWA played in the church along with some Liverpool stuff on coffin. To his family the music meant something as it did to him, there was nothing bizarre about it then if any other song had been played.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,166 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

blanch152 wrote: »
    I once had a friend of 20 years stop talking to me, COMPLETELY beause I didnt have a problem with the queen coming over here, becase he "hated the English" .

He was a huge Leeds fan, bought the jerseys, went to matches, etc. Then moved to Australia for a while.

Still hasnt talked to me since.

go Figure

What is funnier are the rabid republicans who support Liverpool. They will splutter about Protestants and the Orange Order one minutes and the next be on a Liverpool thread defending their team. If only they knew some history.....

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/english-soccer/question-of-religion-as-basis-for-support-still-contentious-1.1655070

"Liverpool FC’s founder, John Houlding, eight of its early board members and many others associated with it were deeply involved with the Conservative Party and also, in many cases, both the Freemasons and the city’s deeply-sectarian Working Men’s Conservative Association which, in turn, had strong links to the local Orange Order."

Ok, now that's just... Surreal...

Rabid republicans? Orange order??

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭ogsjw

physioman wrote: »
    I just don't get it. Why are Irish people so fanatical about English football teams. I particularly laugh at the way they talk about individual players being loyal to particular teams. Do they really care about the fans or the 100k they are getting a week. ��

Also how they say 'we' like they're on the team :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Ridiculous, what's this thread really about?

So what if somebody from this island supports a football team on the neighbouring island?

Specially seeing as the English premiership attracts so much footballing talent from all over the world (and with so much money). I would expect exactly the same if we were located alongside Spain, Italy, or Germany.

Is it wrong for an Irish person to support Real Madrid, or is it just the English Premiership that's wrong :(

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Television killed Irish football

Before TV we had attendances in Dublin up there with the smaller premier league clubs today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

1998 called. They want their thread back.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

thingsthatdidnthappen.com
    blanch152 wrote: »

Have we mentioned full kit **** yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭sitkaspruce

And of course... zelllltykkkh

• Advertisement

Television killed Irish football

Before TV we had attendances in Dublin up there with the smaller premier league clubs today

Those were the days. And Bang Bang entertaining everyone on the tram in from Milltown
    back to our tenements

Advertisement