Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VR Headset for CAD

Options
  • 01-05-2019 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭

I have an oculus rift which I use for 3-D CAD. Use it with SolidWorks and analyse the models with the rift. I am looking for an alternative to the rift as the resolution is not the best in my opinion. Can anybody recommend a better VR headset? The laptop I use it with has an Nvidia GTX 1060 graphics card.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

If it's just rendering a static 360 image then the Oculus Rift S or maybe even the Oculus Quest would do the job. The Valve Index is better overall but is very expensive. A 1060 would struggle with higher resolutions if you wanted to walk around in VR in realtime but it should be okay for static images.

The benefit of the Oculus Quest is that it is a standalone headset so you get increased resolution compared to the original Rift without needing to upgrade your PC but I can't say how you'd transfer the 360 images to it.
    https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/30/18523000/oculus-quest-review-vr-headset-price-specs-features

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Thanks, currently I export the 3D CAD into 3rd party software and connect the Rift. Don't think it will will work on it but thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Oculus Quest with Virtual Desktop is what I will be using for dev... so will be likely good for CAD too

Currently Oculus Go with Virtual Desktop would be a decent enough alternative, but the dev of VD has said that his Quest version is supposed to be incredible and higher res

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

For your use case and complaint about resolution I was going to suggest the 2160x2160 pixels per eye HP Reverb launching Monday.....

.....and then you said you'll be running it off a GTX1060 Laptop.....

....So forget I said anything!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Cool, thanks. Am looking at the Vive Cosmos also.
    Edit: What’s Windows mixed reality? Is it like the platform for viewing VR?

• Advertisement
Advertisement