Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Few Reasons To Love Visiting Waterford, Ireland

• 05-04-2019 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

https://landlopers.com/2019/04/02/waterford-ireland

The average visitor to Ireland has a lot on their travel to-do list, from Dublin to the Ring of Kerry and the Cliffs of Moher, even further afield to Galway and Donegal. An area of the country that’s starting to creep up on these to–do lists is what’s locally called the Sunny Southeast. Waterford City is Ireland’s oldest city and thanks to the natural beauty surrounding it, the entire region has a lot to interest any type of traveler. Although it has flown quietly under the radar for quite a while, that’s all starting to change as I learned while spending a few days exploring the city and larger County Waterford in partnership with Tourism Ireland. As soon as I arrived I chastened myself for not visiting earlier, so to help others correct this same oversight I want to share some of my favorite experiences exploring Waterford, Ireland.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

comeraghs wrote: »
    https://landlopers.com/2019/04/02/waterford-ireland

The average visitor to Ireland has a lot on their travel to-do list, from Dublin to the Ring of Kerry and the Cliffs of Moher, even further afield to Galway and Donegal. An area of the country that’s starting to creep up on these to–do lists is what’s locally called the Sunny Southeast. Waterford City is Ireland’s oldest city and thanks to the natural beauty surrounding it, the entire region has a lot to interest any type of traveler. Although it has flown quietly under the radar for quite a while, that’s all starting to change as I learned while spending a few days exploring the city and larger County Waterford in partnership with Tourism Ireland. As soon as I arrived I chastened myself for not visiting earlier, so to help others correct this same oversight I want to share some of my favorite experiences exploring Waterford, Ireland.

This is a great piece about Waterford and reflects how a lot of people feel about our lovely, often overlooked, county.

But things are beginning to change at last :)

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Getting a job here is all about who you know rather than what you know. no such thing as meritocracy here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Getting a job here is all about who you know rather than what you know. no such thing as meritocracy here.

You're talking bollox child. Getting a job here is no different than anywhere else in the country.

You're talking bollox child. Getting a job here is no different than anywhere else in the country.

Irish Rail in Waterford, go there and tell me how many drivers there had fathers who were drivers there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

You're basing all employment in Waterford on that? Like I said earlier, you're talking bollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I don't know what promoted you to make that statement, maybe you didn't get a job because it went to the cousin or mate of the owner but that falls under the category of "That's life". It happens all the time. I have worked all over Ireland and I can say that jobs tend to go to the most suitable candidate in terms of experience and culture fit. Yes of course you are going to get sons and daughters of business owners working in the family business but that's certainly not unique to Waterford.
    Don't be so bitter!

Great article on the 'literally wonderful Waterford Museum of Treasures' . The three interlinked museums are 'filled with Treasures' to take the breath away'.

Eoghan Harris also commends Waterford CoCo and Micheal Walsh on their vision regarding the Viking Triangle and the determination taken to deliver it while the city was in a deep recession:

'But to their eternal credit, Walsh and Waterford Council coughed up the money that enabled Eamonn McEneaney to turn the Viking Triangle into a golden goose.

Today, cultural tourists come in their tens of thousands; last year in numbers equal to half the population of the city'.

Good to see the best collection of museums on the island outside of the capital getting the recognition they deserve.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/eoghan-harris-fermanagh-man-drives-down-to-waterford-to-speak-his-mind-38079988.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Great article on the 'literally wonderful Waterford Museum of Treasures' . The three interlinked museums are 'filled with Treasures' to take the breath away'.

Eoghan Harris also commends Waterford CoCo and Micheal Walsh on their vision regarding the Viking Triangle and the determination taken to deliver it while the city was in a deep recession:

'But to their eternal credit, Walsh and Waterford Council coughed up the money that enabled Eamonn McEneaney to turn the Viking Triangle into a golden goose.

Today, cultural tourists come in their tens of thousands; last year in numbers equal to half the population of the city'.

Good to see the best collection of museums on the island outside of the capital getting the recognition they deserve.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/eoghan-harris-fermanagh-man-drives-down-to-waterford-to-speak-his-mind-38079988.html

Absolutely, I bet you have the citizens haven't been into it, make it on your list of summer things to do

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mojor

comeraghs wrote: »

You'll be waiting for that pint in T&H Doolan's :p

Not really the right thread for this, but since we're posting links about Waterford:

Lovely piece by Waterford writer Megan Nolan: Home Coming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

mojor wrote: »
    You'll be waiting for that pint in T&H Doolan's :p

What ever happened with that? I thought someone expressed an interest in buying it a few years back but I heard nothing more.

What ever happened with that? I thought someone expressed an interest in buying it a few years back but I heard nothing more.

shame, a very old pub. Remember last time I was in there was in 2012 to watch Katie Taylor win gold!

John G O'DOwyer's description of the Coumshingaun lake in the Irish TImes today:

"Ambling easily for about 20 minutes in a roughly southeasterly direction I reached the great cliffs above Coumshingaun. Few cliches remain unhackneyed in describing the greatest glaciated coum on these islands, so I will just say it took my breath...as it always does"

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/travel/walk-for-the-weekend-comeragh-plateau-co-waterford-1.3829355

Advertisement