Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

True potential of novices

Options
  • 30-04-2019 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭

Given the exploits of latecomers to the sport of running, are there any indications of 'true' potential of novice runners, should they (slowly) increase and improve training to a high-achiever or elite level?

Like everyone, I'd love to know what I'm capable of, should I increase training to a higher quantity and standard.

e.g. I tend to run/train continuously for periods of about 6-12 months before getting injured (mainly due to terrible form and muscle imbalances, but that's another story), take 6mths+ off, rinse and repeat. Each time, I get to about 18:00-18:30 5ks, 1:28HM after about 2-3 months of training with a local (very casual) club - covering maybe 20-40k per week over 3-4 runs.

I'd love to know roughly what sort of times might be possible for us should injuries stay away - guessing there may be some gains, but nothing massive? Any stories here of response to increasing/improving their training regime?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

onrail wrote: »
    Given the exploits of latecomers to the sport of running, are there any indications of 'true' potential of novice runners, should they (slowly) increase and improve training to a high-achiever or elite level?

Like everyone, I'd love to know what I'm capable of, should I increase training to a higher quantity and standard.

e.g. I tend to run/train continuously for periods of about 6-12 months before getting injured (mainly due to terrible form and muscle imbalances, but that's another story), take 6mths+ off, rinse and repeat. Each time, I get to about 18:00-18:30 5ks, 1:28HM after about 2-3 months of training with a local (very casual) club - covering maybe 20-40k per week over 3-4 runs.

I'd love to know roughly what sort of times might be possible for us should injuries stay away - guessing there may be some gains, but nothing massive? Any stories here of response to increasing/improving their training regime?

The first thing zid not is if you are running 18 5k you should be sub 1.25 at least for HM. This suggests your endurance is weak probably because of running too low a volume at too fast a pace and this may be the root of your injury problems Its very hard to achieve potential if your training is regularly being interrupted by injury or anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭onrail

ultrapercy wrote: »
    The first thing zid not is if you are running 18 5k you should be sub 1.25 at least for HM. This suggests your endurance is weak probably because of running too low a volume at too fast a pace and this may be the root of your injury problems Its very hard to achieve potential if your training is regularly being interrupted by injury or anything else.

Thanks, that's really interesting. I've definitely been guilty in the past of pushing too hard too often when training - trying to change things this time around!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Its a very broad question and probably hard to answer. Potential of Novices is never really known until its tapped and developed.

I went from novice to National Championship wins in one sport but when I tried hurling once I was laughed off the field.

With running at least benchmarks generally correlate upwards. So any race calculator (McMillan et al) will give you an average value for all other events vs your 18 minute 5k. Assuming all training is on track per plan no injuries it then comes down to your engine (petrol speed or diesel endurance), desire to achieve and better yourself, capacity to endure pain, recover and pick yourself back up after disappointment.

Unless you are a fulltime athlete, throw life into the mix and all sorts of obstacles you don't anticipate, appear.

The key thing with novices (and from experience) is not pushing too hard in the initial excitement of many pbs! It takes weeks, months, years of consistent training to progress to your potential.

If you approach it with realistic incremental goals, a smart plan, and recovery strategy that works you can be assured of a generally steady upward curve.

How far the curve goes is really up to you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

If youre running 18.xx off only 3-4 runs per week, 20-40km, id say you could knock a couple of minutes off. To start 40km a week is very little for a 5k and up runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭onrail

Cheers guys - plenty of food for thought!

Ultimately, it'd be good to know (for all novices) whether upping mileage is worth it. I know personally, if I could drop another 10% off my 5k/10k times over the next 12-18 months, I'd happily take on the extra mileage!

For reference, my general gradient of improvement is (from sctrach):

So far
    1-2 months, running casually alone, 20k/week: 20-21mins 5k
    3-4 months, club running, one speed session/week, 30-40k total: 18.5-19mins 5k
    4-5 months, club running, max 40k/week - 18.0 - 18.5 mins
    Projected
    5-12 months, club running with much higher mileage, 60k/week: 17.5 - 18mins??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

It's not just about upping mileage. It's the quality of the miles. That being said increasing volume sensibly will make a massive difference.

Advertisement