Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Graded track meets 2019

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

The schedule of Dublin Graded track meets for summer 2019 is out now:
    https://www.dublinathletics.com/20-uncategorised/532-dublin-athletic-board-graded-track-and-field-programme-2019

Meet 7 in Morton Stadium features a mile... but it's devil-take-the-hindmost! :)

I did that last year. It was fine - they divided us into two groups, so I didn't have to race against the likes of DubGal :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I did that last year. It was fine - they divided us into two groups, so I didn't have to race against the likes of DubGal :-)

I was out injured for the second half of last summer's graded so I didn't do that one - and probably just as well. In the 1500s I did earlier that summer, they were timing everyone else with the clock and me with a calendar :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

The schedule of Dublin Graded track meets for summer 2019 is out now:
    https://www.dublinathletics.com/20-uncategorised/532-dublin-athletic-board-graded-track-and-field-programme-2019

Meet 7 in Morton Stadium features a mile... but it's devil-take-the-hindmost! :)

What is Devil Take The Hindmost? Last runner eliminated every lap?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

How do you get graded for these. Do you do your first race in the lowest graded and get promoted up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

How do you get graded for these. Do you do your first race in the lowest graded and get promoted up.

Self grading for the most part. They do ask your PBs, and they might be stricter on entry to the A race, I wouldn't know :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Delighted to see these - I start my training for the summer the week after next so, with these fixtures announced, I've got all my racing for the summer picked out now!
    RayCun wrote: »
    Self grading for the most part. They do ask your PBs, and they might be stricter on entry to the A race, I wouldn't know :)

They don't actually check your pbs though and there's not really any need. The self-grading works well because, when you're chasing times, no one wants to be in a race where they're completely left behind or they're winning comfortably. Although it's really not the end of the world if that happens.

Best thing to do is to check previous results and you'll get an idea of where you should line up.

I've noticed more and more masters doing the Gradeds in recent years so they're definitely accessible to all and I would recommend everyone having a go at least once.

Also, it's probably best to get that first try in as early as possible in the summer just in case you realise that track is your spiritual home and there are no more meets left. Or you have a go and you're left with that nagging feeling that if you'd just pushed a bit more on lap three or hung on to the runner ahead for just a little bit longer, you'd had squeezed a few more seconds out.

Definitely takes a couple of attempts to start getting right.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

Murph_D wrote: »
    What is Devil Take The Hindmost? Last runner eliminated every lap?

Yes, that's it. A traditional type of race in cycling, don't know if they still do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Yes, that's it. A traditional type of race in cycling, don't know if they still do it.

They still do it in track cycling but as a sop to some it's now called the Elimination Race... We can't be having religion coming into sport! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Elimination races just don’t work unless everybody in the race is of the same standard. Where there’s a gulf in class (which is the case at gradeds) you just end up with athletes being strung out and there is zero excitement about who gets eliminated, and it just ends up being a traditional race up front. I’ve seen it at Nitro and Continental Cup and both times it tended to be disappointing. Can’t see too many people being bothered by it when people go to gradeds to get a time. Think they had it at NIA last year and I don’t think they’ve brought it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Do you have to be a member of a Dublin club for these meets? I've a friend in a club elsewhere in Leinster who's interested in trying some of these track distances..

• Advertisement

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Do you have to be a member of a Dublin club for these meets? I've a friend in a club elsewhere in Leinster who's interested in trying some of these track distances..

Not a Dublin club, but a club. You have to be a member of AAI.

Also, they say every participating club has to provide two officials. I'm sure they'll let it slide for one guy, but not a group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

RayCun wrote:
    Also, they say every participating club has to provide two officials. I'm sure they'll let it slide for one guy, but not a group.

Oh really? Hadn't ever realised this, good to know.

RayCun wrote: »
    Not a Dublin club, but a club. You have to be a member of AAI.

Interesting. It’s fair enough, but how can this be enforced when you can sign up and pay online? You’re hardly going to be told you can’t run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I've never heard of it being enforced tbh

Nor have I, but I don't think it is/would be enforced by stopping people from running after they'd entered, it would be by telling the club afterwards "You had x runners at the meet but didn't help put it on, next time we expect you to do better"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Drogheda & District graded is only 2 dates this year .

May 23rd 7pm 100m, 400m, 1500m, 5000m, long jump

June 6th 7pm 200m, 800m, 3000m, shot putt

5e entry

first meet of the year on tomorrow, register here
    https://www.dublinathletics.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

In Tallaght on the 15th there's A,B & C races for the 5000m. I know Ray mentioned that its self grading to a certain extent, but would these races have guideline times or are they dependant on who would show up on the evening? Planning on having a go at 17mins that evening....

healy1835 wrote: »
    In Tallaght on the 15th there's A,B & C races for the 5000m. I know Ray mentioned that its self grading to a certain extent, but would these races have guideline times or are they dependant on who would show up on the evening? Planning on having a go at 17mins that evening....

Depends on who shows up.
    I'd be surprised if there were 3 races to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I think there was only 1 5000m race last year at the same meet and 2 the year before. At worst, there'll be one or two combined AB races.

Most people closer to 15:30 than 16minutes for 5k would be doing the IMC meets so, while there may be a couple of guys out on their own at the front there should also be a good few in the 'A' race around 17mins and plenty slower. The gradeds really are very accessible.

• Advertisement

Dedicated website for the Graded Meets here: https://graded.dublinathletics.com/index.php

Advertisement