Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Venue capacity

• 29-04-2019 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

Does Ireland lose out on more international acts then it might due to the massive difference in size between vicar street and the Olympia both under 2,000 and the 3 arena which is nearly 15,000? Other venues which I can think of are all on the smaller size which raises the question of why a medium size venue isn’t considered.

Button factory: 7/800
    Voddoo lounge: 7/800
    Whelans: 450
    Academy 1: 850
    Academy green room: 550
    Academy 2: 230
    The grand social: 250

There seems a huge saturation of small venues surely one of around 5000 would help attract more acts to Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

The Voodoo Lounge is more like 400. Plus there's the Bord Gais Theater which is more of a mid-sized venue at 2000+.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Absolutely this. We need a 5 or 6k capacity venue. We're missing out on so many gigs as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Passenger wrote: »
    The Voodoo Lounge is more like 400. Plus there's the Bord Gais Theater which is more of a mid-sized venue at 2000+.

Bord Gais doesn’t allow standing which is a problem for some acts though. I know a lot of people certainly don’t be happy seeing acts their and not being able to stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Bord Gais doesn’t allow standing which is a problem for some acts though. I know a lot of people certainly don’t be happy seeing acts their and not being able to stand.

Everyone stood in the Bord Gais for Suede last year.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies.

Yeah but getting to to the toilets/bar is a pain. Its not a "rock n roll" venue.

• Advertisement

Oh I had heard the seats weren’t removable maybe I heard wrong? I’ve only been in the venue once and I was near the top and it was all seating.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Oh I had heard the seats weren’t removable maybe I heard wrong? I’ve only been in the venue once and I was near the top and it was all seating.
    Yeah the seats remained in place. People stood up at their seats.
    Yeah a 5k venue would have been grand for Tame Impala and lots of others

They're not removable but everyone stood up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭fafy

Good point.

I would have thought the Olympia with ground floor seats out, would be 2,000 ish

fafy wrote: »
    Good point.

I would have thought the Olympia with ground floor seats out, would be 2,000 ish

1621 for standing and 1302 for seating apparently, agree it does feel more then that though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭Zardoz

There seems a huge saturation of small venues surely one of around 5000 would help attract more acts to Ireland?

One is supposed to built in Cork but BAM is doing its best to scupper it ,much like its doing with the National Childrens Hospital.

Zardoz wrote: »
    One is supposed to built in Cork but BAM is doing its best to scupper it ,much like its doing with the National Childrens Hospital.

Regardless Dublin would still need it’s own venue of that size having a 5k venue in cork would do no harm in bringing more over too though, it allows relatively big acts to do 3 nights in Ireland
    Cork: event center
    Dublin: 3 arena
    Belfast: SSE arena

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Citywest Hotel were trying to get planning for a mid size event venue but were scuppered, it's the ideal destination imo given its proximity to the Luas and its relatively accessible location.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭corm500

Dublin could do with a 2k+ and a 6k+ venue. What does the RDS main hall hold? Don’t know if they still use it but saw a few gigs there over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭fafy

1621 for standing and 1302 for seating apparently, agree it does feel more then that though.

Theres no way this is being adhered to, have not been been to many gigs in there where floor was standing, but the ones i have, the floor was totally rammed, and definitely waymore, than 300 in excess of what there would be on the floor l, had it been seated.
    Gigs like: Arcade Fire, Kings Of Leon, & R.E.M.

Citywest Hotel were trying to get planning for a mid size event venue but were scuppered, it's the ideal destination imo given its proximity to the Luas and its relatively accessible location.

They do have decent venue there that they use for Disney on Ice type stuff. I think they have also used it for gigs, I remember Dionne Warwick playing there, and Glenn Campbell. Not sure why they don’t use it more often, considering it is on the Luas route and is attached to one of the biggest hotels in Europe

corm500 wrote: »
    They do have decent venue there that they use for Disney on Ice type stuff. I think they have also used it for gigs, I remember Dionne Warwick playing there, and Glenn Campbell. Not sure why they don’t use it more often, considering it is on the Luas route and is attached to one of the biggest hotels in Europe

I’ve been to the wolfe tone gigs at the end of the year and I can’t speak too kindly of it, it literally feels like a function room you’d be in at a wedding. Location wise it wouldn’t be great for people who live in the further reaches of north Dublin or even places like bray or greystones you’d be 2 hours plus getting there BÁC public transport.

I’ve been to the wolfe tone gigs at the end of the year and I can’t speak too kindly of it, it literally feels like a function room you’d be in at a wedding. Location wise it wouldn’t be great for people who live in the further reaches of north Dublin or even places like bray or greystones you’d be 2 hours plus getting there BÁC public transport.

Yep its an hour to the Point on the Luas from Citiwest. A fúcking hour. Its 9 miles away.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

But it would be handier for people outside of dublin as they can pull off on the motorway without having to drive into town , which means they can avoid the city centre traffic

But it would be handier for people outside of dublin as they can pull off on the motorway without having to drive into town , which means they can avoid the city centre traffic

Yeah but those people also can’t drink alcohol so that’s something a venue would have to consider, bad location means More people drive, less people drink and the venue makes less money.

• Advertisement

Yeah but those people also can’t drink alcohol so that’s something a venue would have to consider, bad location means More people drive, less people drink and the venue makes less money.

But the hotel has almost 800 rooms for those of us that like a tipple. it just seems a bit of a waste as a venue. It could be decent, it has tiered seating and a wraparound balcony when the Disney on ice is on. Like a larger Vicar Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Who are the 5-6k shows we’re missing? In the summer the likes of Trinity/Iveagh/Kilmainham have this sized crowd sewn up. In winter they can throw up the curtains at the Point.

Imo we’re missing out on shows as a result of the duopoly.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭JamieHP

Citywest honestly would be perfect. Can't get around my head why MCD or Aiken arent using it for gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭The Davestator

The INEC in Killarney has 3,000 but the location and lack of hotel rooms in Killarney (and the cost) means it's not a great option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Wooderson

The new Vicar St might fill this gap. Fail to see a single show that wasnt financially viable due to venue sizes here however. As I mentioned, we have outdoor spaces in the summer, we have oodles of festivals. The issue lies with the promoters appetite for risk, the irish music scene's "sell it out or be perceived as a fail / go broke" approach and Ireland's relative geographic periphery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

How much does the different rooms in the RDS hold?

If (a big if) it was to ever happen and ireland won the Eurovision....Where would it be held? Is the 3arena large enough now or whats the criteria?

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    How much does the different rooms in the RDS hold?

If (a big if) it was to ever happen and ireland won the Eurovision....Where would it be held? Is the 3arena large enough now or whats the criteria?

I think the biggest indoor room in the RDS holds about 8-9000? Could be wrong

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

corm500 wrote: »
    Dublin could do with a 2k+ and a 6k+ venue. What does the RDS main hall hold? Don’t know if they still use it but saw a few gigs there over the years.

Doesn't matter. It's a terrible venue. Sound is crap.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Doesn't matter. It's a terrible venue. Sound is crap.

With the recession being "over" i wonder would they build the one that was supposedly going to be apart of the Point Village

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Gaiety listed as 2000 online
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaiety_Theatre,_Dublin

It doesn't seem to get many gigs

Olympia Capacity 1,287 seated[1] 1,600 standing and seating
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympia_Theatre,_Dublin

Vicar street Capacity 1,050 (seated) 1,500 (standing)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicar_Street

I wish more were in bord gais, at least the seats (that I was in anyway) had fairly decent legroom, unlike the olympia where some are terrible. I heard it dated back to it being so old, and people being shorter back then.

Advertisement