Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inline skating classes or groups?

• 25-08-2016 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi All,
    Does anyone know of a place to learn/ improve on the skating skills? I know there's a skatepark or two in Galway but I'm nowhere near good enough to even go there (unless there's a whole gang of clumsy skaters with me). I'm looking for a place for beginners who are too ashamed to skate in public yet. Anyone knows of a teacher/ class or even other people who might want to try skating?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭boardtc

Did you ever find any teacher/class?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭1perriwinkle

I’d be interested in this - have had skates for a few years, too embarrassed to go out in public with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭cena

What is it you want to learn? I have been skating since I was ten. I also play ice hockey

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭boardtc

For myself and my daughters to be able to skate properly, have hacked away a bit the last couple of years, but want to get smooth at it, not be lifting feet, stopping properly.....

How to stop/without falling over
    How to slow down
    How to not look like an idiot

I’m pretty fit, can ski without falling over and could skate a bit 20 years ago but the couple of times i’ve gone out in the last year I lost my nerve so would love some tips/lessons from someone patient ðŸ˜႒
    cena wrote: »
    What is it you want to learn? I have been skating since I was ten. I also play ice hockey

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I just found this tread while searching for information about the Galway ice rink. Have you ever found lessons? I know it's a bit of a trip but if you're ever in the Limerick direction we have a small skate group and do lots of outdoor skating along the riverside trails here which are great for skating. And we'd be happy to help out any new skaters who want tips or to do a learner session. It's not lessons but we're decent skaters and happy to share any advice we can. We could do a skills session in a quiet car park and then if you feel up to it, have a skate along one of the trail paths by the river. Or do skatepark stuff if that's more what you are interested in (but we're pretty basic at that, just some dropping in, carving and pumping). No money exchanged, it's just skaters helping skaters.

I haven’t found lessons, and have done nothing about it since. Thanks for your kind offer but Limerick is a bit too much of a trek for me :-)
    iguana wrote: »
    I just found this tread while searching for information about the Galway ice rink. Have you ever found lessons? I know it's a bit of a trip but if you're ever in the Limerick direction we have a small skate group and do lots of outdoor skating along the riverside trails here which are great for skating. And we'd be happy to help out any new skaters who want tips or to do a learner session. It's not lessons but we're decent skaters and happy to share any advice we can. We could do a skills session in a quiet car park and then if you feel up to it, have a skate along one of the trail paths by the river. Or do skatepark stuff if that's more what you are interested in (but we're pretty basic at that, just some dropping in, carving and pumping). No money exchanged, it's just skaters helping skaters.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I can't skate, but bought a pair of skates years ago, and would be willing to head to the prom in the dead of night some time with a co-"phone an ambulance if I fall over and break myself"-er.

Ficheall wrote: »
    I can't skate, but bought a pair of skates years ago, and would be willing to head to the prom in the dead of night some time with a co-"phone an ambulance if I fall over and break myself"-er.

That made me LOL! Like the middle of the night suggestion but I live in Athenry so not sure I’d be up for that. But now that you’ve suggested it, it’ll be dark in the evening soon enough so maybe I’ll give it a go after 8pm when it’s dark and raining so no one will be around to witness my flailing :-)

Advertisement