Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TomTom Go 5200

• 27-04-2019 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭

Going to buy my Da one of these. If I get a UK one (from Amazon, huge price difference) will the SIM features like traffic and all still work here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Going to buy my Da one of these. If I get a UK one (from Amazon, huge price difference) will the SIM features like traffic and all still work here?

Yep, no issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Yep, no issue

Lovely stuff, cheers.

As an addition to this, does anyone have one and are they any use at all here? I downloaded the TomTom phone app and it had no Eircode library and couldn't even find my address by house number (had only one number in the whole estate). Is their software lacking for Ireland or does the phone app use some sort of 'Lite' version of the maps?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭daphil

As an addition to this, does anyone have one and are they any use at all here? I downloaded the TomTom phone app and it had no Eircode library and couldn't even find my address by house number (had only one number in the whole estate). Is their software lacking for Ireland or does the phone app use some sort of 'Lite' version of the maps?[/QUOTE]

"Eirecode" not used by An Post either, so Eircode is far from universal in Ireland.
    I find the Tom Tom great, with Traffic Updates etc.
    I much prefer it to Google maps and as a plus if you travel abroad, you have World Wide maps.
    If you install it on a Laptop/PC, you can basically pick any spot on a map and send it to your device.

daphil wrote: »
    "Eirecode" not used by An Post either, so Eircode is far from universal in Ireland.
    I find the Tom Tom great, with Traffic Updates etc.
    I much prefer it to Google maps and as a plus if you travel abroad, you have World Wide maps.
    If you install it on a Laptop/PC, you can basically pick any spot on a map and send it to your device.

I'm not that bothered whether they're used by An Post or not as I'm not delivering post, Eircodes are still the handiest 'straight-to-the-door' system by a million miles. Especiallt for businesses. I wouldn't entertain a system for anyone for that kind of money that didn't have the library, so do none of the TomTom maps have them?

Personally I'd never use anything other than Google Maps (worldwide and offline modes if you don't have roaming data, plus they use Eircodes) but I can't get my Da's head around using his phone for navigation and he had an old TomTom before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

Cerco wrote: »

Nice, cheers. I've been looking at some videos on YouTube and they look very good but I'm still having trouble finding Ireland specific stuff. Like whatever about the Eircodes (I know some people don't like them for whatever reasons) the phone app was worrying when it only had one house number in my estate in it's database. And it's not like I'm in the far reaches of Connemara or anything either.

I have used Tom Tom devices now for over 10 years. I currently have a 520 (European maps) and very happy with it.
    Download the My Drive app to your phone and check it out.
    You can send routes /destinations from the app to Tom Tom device.
    Once maps are kept up to date then you should not have any problems. Just have to download and install when prompted.
    I prefer a dedicated sat nav. Tried google maps but phone gets hot on long journeys and screen display too small for me. I know others who are vhappy with google. Horses for courses.

Cerco wrote: »
    I have used Tom Tom devices now for over 10 years. I currently have a 520 (European maps) and very happy with it.
    Download the My Drive app to your phone and check it out.
    You can send routes /destinations from the app to Tom Tom device.
    Once maps are kept up to date then you should not have any problems. Just have to download and install when prompted.
    I prefer a dedicated sat nav. Tried google maps but phone gets hot on long journeys and screen display too small for me. I know others who are vhappy with google. Horses for courses.

On the My Drive app can you search an eircode and send it to the device? I see there's a workaround if you use the Autoaddress app but if he's going to have to use the phone to look up exactly addresses then I might be better going through Google Maps with him again and keeping it to one navigation device.

You can do this but it has limited accuracy.
    If you enter an address on an estate , it will get you there but not to a particular house. I just tried it on two eircodes to test it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement