Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭me89

Trent Brown and Flowers got paid big time, we were never going to match, good luck to them both.

Hopefully Wynn can stay injury free and step up this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,446 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Brown will probably go back to his pre NE mediocre career, losing flowers is a regret though it was all but inevitable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

If Wynn stays healthy, then the Brown loss wont be too bad.

Flowers is a bigger concern, Bennet will help but he's a different player. We need more speed on that D Line and we have to resign Shetlon and Brown to secure the middle.
    Justin Houston is still available....

LB Should be ok with Bentley and Sam returning from injury. I was particularly happy with Bentley before he got hurt.

At DB Devin is coming back, Jason wants to stay but I cant see him getting big money especially given our 2nd rnd tender on Jones.

Biggest concern for me right now is the receiving corps.
    Edelman is the only reliable option, Gronk isn't the same as he was a few years ago and may retire.
    Hogan and Dorsett haven't been signed by anyone yet, but tbh I don't think they offer enough.
    I'd love to see Golden Tate or Jared Cook sign but can't see us making that big of a splash. Maybe Chris Conley could be an option to add some outside speed...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

BizzyC wrote: »
    If Wynn stays healthy, then the Brown loss wont be too bad.

Flowers is a bigger concern, Bennet will help but he's a different player. We need more speed on that D Line and we have to resign Shetlon and Brown to secure the middle.
    Justin Houston is still available....

LB Should be ok with Bentley and Sam returning from injury. I was particularly happy with Bentley before he got hurt.

At DB Devin is coming back, Jason wants to stay but I cant see him getting big money especially given our 2nd rnd tender on Jones.

Biggest concern for me right now is the receiving corps.
    Edelman is the only reliable option, Gronk isn't the same as he was a few years ago and may retire.
    Hogan and Dorsett haven't been signed by anyone yet, but tbh I don't think they offer enough.
    I'd love to see Golden Tate or Jared Cook sign but can't see us making that big of a splash. Maybe Chris Conley could be an option to add some outside speed...

I'm hoping Berrios can step up this season, he seems very Amendola like. There's good options in the draft, hopefully our streak of bad luck drafting WRs will end.

• Advertisement

At DB Devin is coming back, Jason wants to stay but I cant see him getting big money especially given our 2nd rnd tender on Jones

Jason McCourty has signed a 2 year deal.

https://twitter.com/patriotslife/status/1105879455178715136?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1109936822333825025

From his Instagram:
    It all started at 20 years old on stage at the NFL draft when my dream came true, and now here I am about to turn 30 in a few months with a decision I feel is the biggest of my life so far. I will be retiring from the game of football today. I am so grateful for the opportunity that Mr. Kraft and Coach Belichick gave to me when drafting my silliness in 2010. My life experiences over the last 9 years have been amazing both on and off the field. The people I have meet, the relationships I have built, the championships I have been apart of, I just want to thank the whole New England Patriots organization for every opportunity I have been giving and learning the great values of life that I can apply to mine. Thank you to all of Pats Nation around the world for the incredible support since I have been apart of this 1st class organization. Thank you for everyone accepting who I am and the dedication I have put into my work to be the best player I could be. But now its time to move forward and move forward with a big smile knowing that the New England Patriots Organization, Pats Nation, and all my fans will be truly a big part of my heart for rest of my life. It was truly an incredible honor to play for such a great established organization and able to come in to continue and contribute to keep building success. To all my current and past teammates, thank you for making each team every year special to be apart of. I will truly miss you guys. Cheers to all who have been part of this journey, cheers to the past for the incredible memories, and a HUGE cheers to the uncertain of whats next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

That sucks. I really thought he'd come back after winning the SB.

Really gonna miss him. One of the most dominant players and best characters in my time watching NFL. Hard to think of any player who was so far ahead of everybody at his position.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,554 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

A true Patriots legend, will miss him greatly.

well ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

The most dominant TE of all time and future-first-ballot HOF for sure. An absolute legend of the Patriots with a highlight reel that is absolutely jaw-dropping. I'm sure someone somewhere has done or will do a proper write-up to commemorate his career.
    Ridiculous to think that injuries have seriously curtailed his career yet he'll almost definitely be a first-ballot HOF.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Earleybird

Sad day, but had been coming. What an unbelievable talent, unstoppable in his peak and always dependable. A massive loss to the locker room and will be sad not to see him don the 87 again. I hope he enjoys his retirement.

It's sad to see him go, but not all that surprising.
    His movement this season wasn't great, but he dominated in the run game and flashed enough catching skills to make a difference.

Had all the skills to go down as the best TE in league history, such a shame that injuries stopped him from achieving everything he could have.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Not surprising, but still will be a loss. Despite his physical issues this season and not being as dominant as he once was, he was still an outlet for Brady when the chips were down. Brady trusted him and threw to him knowing he still had that sparkle to come down with a big play. A real shame he wasnt able to be more consistent, but he has taken an unmerciful beating. The only way teams could stop him was to try break him up, and on occasions, they did just that.

A super player and a great guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,446 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Massive loss in NE, wish the guy well in his retirement.
    He won't be replaced by one man, but as always Bill et al will find a way to scheme around it.

So that also frees up $9m in cap space, unfortunately though all of the useful TE & WR FA options are already off the board.

We're well stocked at RB and have a good O-Line, but with the loss of Gronk's blocking skills we'll need better talent outside to pull men out of the box and give Michel a chance at getting some running lanes....
    Right now you could bracket Julian, go man on the other receivers and load the box against the run....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

So that also frees up $9m in cap space, unfortunately though all of the useful TE & WR FA options are already off the board.
    WR and TE were already a need, even with Gronk returning. But it now places more emphasis on the draft or a trade.

Interesting take from McGinest on Mar 13th; “I think Gronk is going to take a break for awhile," McGinest said. "I don’t think he’s initially going to start off and come back. I think he’s going to figure it out. I think later on -- and this is just my own assessment -- later on, deep in the season he could possibly come back and play.”
    We'll see how it pans out later in the season.

Not pushed at all about us not being on opening night. I'd rather watch the team live on Sunday rather than the game in 40 on Friday morning before work! I've a feeling now that we'll be given the Sunday night game slot though, probably against the Browns.

Hope that's true about Gronk, he's still very young. I'd gladly take him from week 12 on for a season or two and BB certainly wouldn't be any stranger to taking back players from retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Jerod Mayo hired to the coaching staff. Should be a good move.

Always thought he was a smart guy. Will follow his coaching career with interest.

• Advertisement

Mayo as a coach is a great move.

Schiano leaving is a shock though, that's either a real family emergency or some dirt on him is about to come out so he's lowering his profile....

Schiano said it's to spend more time on faith and family. He said he doesn't want to look back and regret things.

Brilliant. TB12 joins Twitter on April 1 and announces his retirement!

https://twitter.com/TomBrady/status/1112751341259182080

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

No N'Keal Harry with the 32nd? Seems a good pick, I saw him live last year playing for ASU, scored 2 TD's. Seems his one weakness is getting separation in man coverage, but he'll be no worse than Chris Hogan in that regard! Should be a decent Redzone threat with the jump ball.

I really thought they'd trade up. There's no way 12 draft picks make the 53 man roster......

infacteh wrote: »
    No N'Keal Harry with the 32nd? Seems a good pick, I saw him live last year playing for ASU, scored 2 TD's. Seems his one weakness is getting separation in man coverage, but he'll be no worse than Chris Hogan in that regard! Should be a decent Redzone threat with the jump ball.

I really thought they'd trade up. There's no way 12 draft picks make the 53 man roster......

I think he's going to be used as the Gronk replacement moreso than an outside receiver in the passing game.
    Moving him around and getting him playing from the slot will ease off that press coverage, while his size and speed should hopefully cause some of the same matchup issues teams had with Gronk.

Not too sure why we drafted another corner and (especially) another running back but happy enough overall with day 2.
    We got a 6'4" corner; a DE who looks the biz both on and off the field; a bull of a running back and an OT for Scar to work his magic on.

Bill seems to be building his defense from the top down, we have an absolutely stacked secondary with an average front 7.
    I do like the Winovich pick best though, by all means he seems to be a great leader off the field and relentless machine on it. Should be a good fit at NE.

Not too sure why we drafted another corner and (especially) another running back but happy enough overall with day 2. We got a 6'4" corner; a DE who looks the biz both on and off the field; a bull of a running back and an OT for Scar to work his magic on.
    We needed a corner so we can put McCourty full time at safety.
    We needed a RB to replace Jeremy Hill.
    Cajuste is a good pick. He could turnout to be a great tackle but if not he is able to play guard too.
    Bill seems to be building his defense from the top down, we have an absolutely stacked secondary with an average front 7. I do like the Winovich pick best though, by all means he seems to be a great leader off the field and relentless machine on it. Should be a good fit at NE.
    I really excited about Winovich, his measurables mightn't be great but he is a football player and a leader of men as you said. If he is up to being on the field he will improve everybody around him by being that great leader. I was sure he would have went in the first round.

Perhaps Bill's thought process is to stack the secondary, which gives our more average DL time to get to the QB.

I'm only surprised at the lack of a TE selection so far. From what I'd read, this was a strong draft for them, and we're somewhat lacking there.

• Advertisement

I'm only surprised at the lack of a TE selection so far. From what I'd read, this was a strong draft for them, and we're somewhat lacking there.
    Gotta say I was hoping we'd get Jace Sternberger.
    Bill probably has spotted one from a smaller college or a lineman that he thinks he can turn into a tight end.
    Tommy Sweeney from BC and Kaden Smith from Stanford are two we showed interest in. Sweeney is a great blocker and a decent receiver. Smith is a very good receiver but needs to improve his blocking.

Advertisement