Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Impromptu Ask Me Anything: Homelessness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Homeless2019

Is there no student accommodation available?
    Have you discussed your hard times with the college? You'd be surprised how much they can help.
    I have, and they are incredibly sympathetic, but if they gave accommodation to every hard-pressed student, well, they'd be out of business.
    I wonder are there any charitable groups who offer dry rooms you could try? I'm no longer familiar with the irish situation but they have them where in other countries, usually religious organisations to very varying degrees ( some religious in name only which are the ones I'm familiar with, Caritas)
    Thank you. I'll look that up online. All I need is some kind of hostel-type-situation where there's no drugs or alcohol, although even alcohol would be fine; at least they tend not to rob you!
    kippy wrote: »
    And have you been in touch with your friends since? What do they think? How many friends have you? Have you approached any of them with an offer of sleeping on their couches for a fee etc?

Have you any siblings?
    My two best friends know my situation. One lives with his girlfriend, the other doesn't live in this country.

I have slept on the former guy's couch for a few weeks here and there, but am reluctant to push his patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,402 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I have, and they are incredibly sympathetic, but if they gave accommodation to every hard-pressed student, well, they'd be out of business.

Thank you. I'll look that up online. All I need is some kind of hostel-type-situation where there's no drugs or alcohol, although even alcohol would be fine; at least they tend not to rob you!

My two best friends know my situation. One lives with his girlfriend, the other doesn't live in this country.

I have slept on the former guy's couch for a few weeks here and there, but am reluctant to push his patience.

Have you offered any of your friends a fee to sleep on their couches for the next few months instead of having to use what you are using for sleeping arrangements?
    Have you more than two friends?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I hope it works out for you! I don't know if they exist in Ireland but there might be something similar (of course be cautious with ones that seem too religious) Id also second asking at the university, Student Welfare and Students Union

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

I just think the homeless industry is a massive shambles when you've got focus, Simon, peter mcv, crosscare, ichh, Salvation Army and how many other organisations out there with hundreds of hostels over the city and not one has managed to stay dry for the 40% who aren't substance users.

Sorry, not a question. Just more of a rant on behalf of what I've read / seen.

Have you offered any of your friends a fee to sleep on their couches for the next few months instead of having to use what you are using for sleeping arrangements?
    The guy on whose couch I slept - of course, yes, I paid him some partial rent. But that wasn't the point. He didn't need the rent. He and his girlfriend don't want some lad on their sofa indefinitely. I can understand that.

And as for other people, no, I don't have a large circle of people on whose couches I'd ask to sleep on. It's a fairly embarrassing question to ask of someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I read a lot of rubbish online about homelessness - about how it's used and abused, but nobody I've ever met is abusing the system. I've met 19 year olds who have been abusing heroin since before they were teenagers. I've shared rooms with men who have never lived in normal families, having been in the 'Care' of the State since they were teens, often physically and sexually abused. I have never met a single chancer who was living in this accommodation for the fun of it, or for any chance at a social house, of which there is little.

Lets clear up a lot of the BS around homelessness. Ask me anything.

5,459 applicants turned down an offer of social housing since 2016. Explain those figures if nobody is abusing the system?

https://www.thejournal.ie/housing-application-refusals-4587311-Apr2019/

You're very naive if you think people aren't playing the system just because you and other people you've met are genuinely homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭gk5000

Hi, wishing you luck - you come across as honest & genuine to me.

I think the problem for many people is that there seems to be a cynical element who exploit homelessness on both sides:
    - those who profess to be homeless
    - those who profess to help the homeless

So tell us your story and what you know:
    - who is screwing the system pretending to be homeless
    - who is screwing the people pretending to help the homeless

- what is your opinion of the government agencies and charities in this area?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

fatknacker wrote: »
    I just think the homeless industry is a massive shambles when you've got focus, Simon, peter mcv, crosscare, ichh and how many other organisations out there with hundreds of hostels over the city and not one has managed to stay dry for the 40% who aren't substance users.

Sorry, not a question. Just more of a rant on behalf of what I've read / seen.
    What seems to work where I live now is they provide places specifically for people who want to do drugs in a relatively safe environment , and a majority of users go there, and the minority stay on the streets. Then it makes it much easier to keep other places completely dry

The guy on whose couch I slept - of course, yes, I paid him some partial rent. But that wasn't the point. He didn't need the rent. He and his girlfriend don't want some lad on their sofa indefinitely. I can understand that.

And as for other people, no, I don't have a large circle of people on whose couches I'd ask to sleep on. It's a fairly embarrassing question to ask of someone.

You see, I see a person who has made decisions and has decided to continue making certain decisions that has led to them being in the position they are in.
    I am not sure what you expect of society to do for your specific situation - if I am being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,589 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Could you expand more on your opening post? "Last Winter, I lost my flat due to a mixture of rent arrears and marriage breakdown. "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

You see, I see a person who has made decisions and has decided to continue making certain decisions that has led to them being in the position they are in.
    I am not sure what you expect of society to do for your specific situation - if I am being honest.

That’s very harsh and unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I have, and they are incredibly sympathetic, but if they gave accommodation to every hard-pressed student, well, they'd be out of business. Thank you. I'll look that up online. All I need is some kind of hostel-type-situation where there's no drugs or alcohol, although even alcohol would be fine; at least they tend not to rob you!My two best friends know my situation. One lives with his girlfriend, the other doesn't live in this country.I have slept on the former guy's couch for a few weeks here and there, but am reluctant to push his patience.

Most University's have funds for social inclusion and students who require assistance which most likley will cover your present circumstances. Go talk to the social welfare officer. They will be able to put you in touch with the people who can provide further assistance. Trust me - your present circumstances will meet the top 10 % quartile.

Best of luck with your studies. Keep at it and dont let the barstardos grind you down and remember always keep your head up..

5,459 applicants turned down an offer of social housing since 2016. Explain those figures if nobody is abusing the system?

https://www.thejournal.ie/housing-application-refusals-4587311-Apr2019/

You're very naive if you think people aren't playing the system just because you and other people you've met are genuinely homeless.
    gk5000 wrote: »
    Hi, wishing you luck - you come across as honest & genuine to me.

I think the problem for many people is that there seems to be a cynical element who exploit homelessness on both sides:
    - those who profess to be homeless
    - those who profess to help the homeless

So tell us your story and what you know:
    - who is screwing the system pretending to be homeless
    - who is screwing the people pretending to help the homeless

- what is your opinion of the government agencies and charities in this area?
    Guys, you probably know more about this topic than I do.

I'm not sure where people are 'playing the system', if that is happening, but it isn't happening where I've been staying. Where I've been, you wake up to the sounds of men smoking heroin out of tinfoil in your dorm-room, or guys beating one another in the corridor. If you guys know of any utopia where men live in bliss and are granted a title over some free house, I'd love to know about it, but I doubt that exists.

And just for the record, I'm apparently being housed in one of the quieter hostels.

poisonated wrote: »
    That’s very harsh and unnecessary.

Well, you can tiptoe around the issue all you want, but based on the pieces of information we are being given, that is my honest opinion - an opinion that would apply to this specific situation
    Harsh or not I think its necessary to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

OP doesn't come across as someone who is expecting society to do a whole pile for them. A dry hostel isn't a massive ask.

I would imagine it's more than just making certain decisions that has left them in this spot.

"Deciding" not to impose ypurself for too long on a friend is fairly considerate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Rental prices where working people can afford to rent very modest, simple apartments.

I work a minimum of 25 hours per week, there's no way I can afford tp pay my bills and rent. And that's just wrong, if you ask me.

It is wrong, ordinary people are being squeezed out, not your fault at all.

PARlance wrote: »
    OP doesn't come across as someone who is expecting society to do a whole pile for them. A dry hostel isn't a massive ask.

I would imagine it's more than just making certain decisions that has left them in this spot.

"Deciding" not to impose ypurself for too long on a friend is fairly considerate.

It's also a decision.
    As is placing a college education above a place to stay.
    As is a multitude of other things that leave you without wider family support and/or a larger network of friends who can help out in a time of need.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,358 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's also a decision.
    As is placing a college education above a place to stay.
    As is a multitude of other things that leave you without wider family support and/or a larger network of friends who can help out in a time of need.

Isn't it a sad indictment of our society if that's the decision that has to be made.

Arghus wrote: »
    Isn't it a sad indictment of our society if that's the decision that has to be made.

It's not really a sad indictment of anything.

I went to college, as did many others. It wasn't without personal sacrifice or sacrifices of my parents. Decisions were made and things were done without.

The OP is trying to put themselves through college - an admirable ambition that they have decided is more important than a stable roof over their heads for the minute.

I went to college, as did many others. It wasn't without personal sacrifice or sacrifices of my parents. Decisions were made and things were done without.

The OP is trying to put themselves through college - an admirable ambition that they have decided is more important than a stable roof over their heads for the minute.

To be fair we really don't know much about the OP's situation: you can't learn much from a few lines of text on an anonymous message board. I wouldn't presume to have all the answers.

• Advertisement

To be fair we really don't know much about the OP's situation: you can't learn much from a few lines of text on an anonymous message board. I wouldn't presume to have all the answers.

Indeed. I am basing my opinion on what is on these pages - that's all we have to go on.
    And my opinions apply to this person and what is on these pages.

I don't presume to have all the answers either, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Are you familiar with the "just world fallacy"?

Indeed. I am basing my opinion on what is on these pages - that's all we have to go on.
    And my opinions apply to this person and what is on these pages.

I don't presume to have all the answers either, thankfully.

Personally, I think someone who works a minimum of 25 hours a week - as The OP claims - should be able to at least afford a modest place to live/rent, but increasingly in Ireland that isn't the case.

RWCNT wrote: »
    Are you familiar with the "just world fallacy"?

Let's not muddy the waters.

Personally, I think someone who works a minimum of 25 hours a week - as The OP claims - should be able to at least afford a modest place to live/rent, but increasingly in Ireland that isn't the case.

Look,
    I don't know what they are getting paid, their other expenses or where they go to college in Dublin but assuming it's minimum wage there are options.
    https://www.daft.ie/student-accommodation/dit-rathmines-road/rooms-to-share/?s%5Barea_type%5D=near&s%5Bmxp%5D=800
    So I don't know why the OP, based on what they are saying, is in the position they are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Look,
    I don't know what they are getting paid, their other expenses or where they go to college in Dublin but assuming it's minimum wage there are options.
    https://www.daft.ie/student-accommodation/dit-rathmines-road/rooms-to-share/?s%5Barea_type%5D=near&s%5Bmxp%5D=800
    So I don't know why the OP, based on what they are saying, is in the position they are in.

That’s just it. You don’t know.

poisonated wrote: »
    That’s just it. You don’t know.

Ah come on.
    Neither do you or indeed anyone on this thread!
    - We are going on what we are being told.

I was specifically addressing the point made by Arghus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,405 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

OP I don't know if you use Facebook or other social media but there is a few house share groups that you could join which could help expand your search a bit, sorry to hear about your troubles.

House Hunting In Dublin.

Dublin Rent Flat House Share.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

OP - have you tried to source stable accommodation through the HAP (Housing Assistance Payment) scheme?

I’m well aware that the private rented sector is a nightmare these days, largely due to poorly thought-out govt housing policies (I am a housing policy analyst myself) and homelessness is a real problem, particularly in Dublin. All the guff about “wasters” and “forever homes” from posters who don’t have a clue of how the housing system actually works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭threescompany

Do you get to save much of your salary if you’re not paying rent ? Sorry to hear about your situation.... I’m baffled how you can’t get student accommodation though.....definitely try the welfare officer again.

Advertisement