Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joey falling in love with Rachel was absolute nonsense!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,429 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Also Joey's silly walk routine and his bonafide classic the dancing choreography class.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Kenjataimu wrote: »
    Why does Ross, the largest friend, not simply eat the other friends?

Prefer Single Female Lawyer anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Nobody can ever name a single moment they actually laughed out loud at Friends.

Not a fan of the show, the wife always had it on. The last line of this did make me laugh though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Necro wrote: »
    Nonsense.

'My Sandwich!'

'Pivot!'

Chandler in the box.

Joey getting locked in the TV unit.

Joey and Chandler sailing through the door of Monica's apartment on the dog statue.

Joey's 'French' audition.

As someone else said, the leather pants, and Hugh Laurie calling Rachel out on the 'break' stuff.

It was funny in the beginning. It did get sh1t at the end.
    But it seems to be 'cool' to call 90s stuff awful nowadays for some bizarre reason.

It being from the 90s has nothing to do with it. Friends was immensely popular at the time but only becuase of the soap opera romance element it had over any of the actual humour.

Nowadays it’s used as a comfort blanket for people aged 25-40, thrown on in the background to drown out their thoughts. And mirthlessly at that. Nobody laughs at Friends.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Woke Hogan wrote:
    Nowadays it’s used as a comfort blanket for people aged 25-40, thrown on in the background to drown out their thoughts. And mirthlessly at that. Nobody laughs at Friends.

Well that's just categorically false as I find some elements of it funny. Particularly the early seasons.
    Your blanket statements hold no power over me buckaroo! ;)

• Advertisement

Necro wrote: »
    Well that's just categorically false as I find some elements of it funny. Particularly the early seasons.
    Your blanket statements hold no power over me buckaroo! ;)

I’m not trying to “hold power” over anyone, you can pretend to find Friends as funny as you like.

I don’t even think it’s such a bad programme, my wife used to watch it when it was first on. But it’s not a funny programme and never laugh out loud funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's a sign of my increasing age that now how they could afford to live in apartments in Manhattan when they weren't working half the time is the only thing I can think about when I see an episode of this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I’m not trying to “hold power” over anyone, you can pretend to find Friends as funny as you like.

I don’t even think it’s such a bad programme, my wife used to watch it when it was first on. But it’s not a funny programme and never laugh out loud funny.

Just for context, what do you find laugh out loud funny? Comedy is subjective after all.

I thought the first couple of seasons of Friends had plenty of really funny moments. It deteriorated really badly after that, and was almost unwatchable by the end. But in my opinion a lot of the one liners from those earlier episodes still hold up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

It would have made a great plot if Rachels baby had turned out to belong to Ross' monkey.

mjio9545-1383063845-7_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqYO0p0mIshyPeegbe8-9U_Xl6rCiFLrn669kcdzcPpE0.jpg?imwidth=450

Just for context, what do you find laugh out loud funny? Comedy is subjective after all.

I thought the first couple of seasons of Friends had plenty of really funny moments. It deteriorated really badly after that, and was almost unwatchable by the end. But in my opinion a lot of the one liners from those earlier episodes still hold up

It doesn’t really matter what I find laugh out loud funny, I’m talking about Friends here like everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

It doesn’t really matter what I find laugh out loud funny, I’m talking about Friends here like everyone else.

Well its relevant if you're making a blanket statement that Friends is not laugh out loud funny when a number of people have given examples of when it has made them laugh out loud. Just asking

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

It all went to ****e the moment Chandler told Monica he loved her. Went more of a rom com than a sitcom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

It being from the 90s has nothing to do with it. Friends was immensely popular at the time but only becuase of the soap opera romance element it had over any of the actual humour.

You've got a thread full of people quoting the Friends moments that made them laugh out loud, so joke's on you there mate.

The "PIVAAAAAAAAT" episode still makes me ROFL, the blooper is even funnier, I'll often whack that on when I'm having a crap day:

Well its relevant if you're making a blanket statement that Friends is not laugh out loud funny when a number of people have given examples of when it has made them laugh out loud. Just asking

No it isn’t.

Like I said I thought it was an alright programme to watch but it was far from funny. Amusing maybe, humourous like one of those Jeeves and Wooster books. But never funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Ahh stop, it was popular because it was choc-a-block with memorable phrases that everyone knew, like -

CUPPING! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Bodhrandude mentions what is almost certainly the funniest moment of this whole show, the Joey choreographer piece*, specifically where he runs out of the room is comedic genius, hall of fame stuff. Say what you want about the undoubted schmaltzy nature of the show, especially towards the end, but there were some absolutely laugh out loud points in this show, no doubt about it.

Off the top of my head the Bruce Willis "Love Machine huuuuuuuuuh" bit, Ross Leather Pants, Russ, Ross bad chat up of the pizza delivery chick, Chandlers OTT boss, chichen pox scratching scene, Rachels sister chastising Ross after turning her down. All crackers. I'm sure there were others.

They weren't all funny though, Ross was almost certainly the funniest character, Phoebe the weakest (just awful). The Rachel Joey story was pure nonsense. There was zero chemistry between them for years, and all of a sudden they couple up out of nowhere, only to knock it on the head and not risk their deep friendship, bollocks.

I felt the worst example of this show was how Rachel got a job in Paris and she decided to take the job and take her child with her without consultation with the father of her child, who also happened to be a friend. Nobody seemed to have any moral quandary with this. Big happy ending when she changed her mind purely because she wanted to get back with Ross, a very selfish determinant factor.

*I'm pretty sure that my Dad happened to catch that scene for some reason, and I dare say he didn't even know what the show was, he was in bits laughing at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

No it isn’t.

Like I said I thought it was an alright programme to watch but it was far from funny. Amusing maybe, humourous like one of those Jeeves and Wooster books. But never funny.

Wash your mouth out!

Jeeves and Wooster is some of the funniest stuff ever written!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Friends is gold.

Anyone saying otherwise is a clueless imbecile.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Nobody can ever name a single moment they actually laughed out loud at Friends.

15 Yemen Road, Yemen.

Chandler's lunatic roommate, crazy Eddie

Ross playing the bagpipes

I laugh like a maniac each and every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,128 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Rachel was pregnant but they still pursued each other. It was so unfair on Ross who had to deal with this. They went to baby scans and through what they'll name it and everything.

It was Wrong Wrong Wrong.

Ffs, man - SPOILERS!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Rachel was pregnant but they still pursued each other. It was so unfair on Ross who had to deal with this. They went to baby scans and through what they'll name it and everything.

It was Wrong Wrong Wrong.
    Thats not how it was. Joey told Rachel how he felt while she was pregnant but she didnt feel the same. It was much later when they both fancied each other, long after the baby was born. And it was Ross who went to the scans and talked about baby names.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

I'll never know how Friends was such a gigantic hit and Seinfeld went so under the radar here.

They were both shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Rachel was a whore !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

I happen to like 8 year old boys

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Friends had its moments but inspired the Chuck Lorre brand of dreadful comedy like 2 1/2 Men and that ****e with Paul Blart and his annoying wife.

Seinfeld is gold, Jerry. And its “sequel” Curb is even better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It declined badly in later seasons but even then had it's moments, but the first few seasons are great.

Ross was the best character, most of the memorable funny stuff involved him. The long running 'we were on a break' gag kept on giving as well and popped up in the most unexpected places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

I couldn't wait for it to be over and the x-files to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I'll never know how Friends was such a gigantic hit and Seinfeld went so under the radar here.

Probably because, Costanza and Kramer aside, Seinfeld was pretty sh*t??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    I'm sorry I seem to have opened the door to the past.

Take a leaf from your name and don't post in a thread you've no interest in.

Was a weird one. Made no sense from a character pov. Imagine that in real life, Jeremy Kyle worthy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Friends is currently the most watched show on Netflix. They recently paid 100m dollars for the rights for another year. Nostalgia is where its at.

Advertisement