Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jet Noise at Back Garden

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

They live in the house 7 years! That airport is there much longer! They knew buying the house there was a runway/ airport out the back.
    I bet they use it all the time to fly to Spain.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    What do you guys think I'm there are a lot of people on here who would love this beside the house.

Link: https://news.sky.com/story/fury-as-southend-airport-revamp-moves-jets-just-150ft-away-from-pensioners-back-garden-11702181

She needs to buy a few drones

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Its a lot different if they airport was just built beside a house. They surely knew the airport would/could be developed further. Anything for a few quid news story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

And how long has the railway that is between them and the airport been in existence. Up to 5 trains/hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,523 ✭✭✭blackwhite

tricky D wrote: »
    And how long has the railway that is between them and the airport been in existence. Up to 5 trains/hour.

From the story, the residents complaining are Well's Ave - beside the Southend Flying Club on google maps.

Independent gives a bit more detail (inc. map)

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/passenger-jets-garden-southend-airport-essex-janet-marchant-a8883071.html

It's not even jets taking off or landing - just an existing taxiway that runs near their house was resurfaced and is now being used again, having been out of use for quite some time.

Like others have said - they hardly failed to notice the airport when they were buying the house :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Ah, thought it was at the NE end. My mistake. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I expect the taxiway was not in use when they first moved in, and also the traffic volume (number of flights) has increased.

The article doesn't say when they stopped using the taxiway or any other details. Poor reporting.

I expect the new extreme close proximity has drastically changed the situation. So it's not as simple as living on the doorstep of the airport.

That said it makes no financial sense to buy a house that close to an airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

plane-house-4.jpg?width=1368&height=912&fit=bounds&format=pjpg&auto=webp&quality=70

Security of the perimeter not exactly top notch here is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

No, it's perfect actually. Any potential intruder faces so many trip hazards / paint poisoning / asbestosis risks in that few square metres that that portion of fence is the safest part of the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Absolutely zero sympathy for anyone that buys a house beside an airport and then complains about the noise.
    A friend of mine bought a nice house in the country right on the approach to one of Europe's busiest airports and spent the next decade complaining about the noise and campaigning to have the airport closed!
    By his own admission the house he bought was only affordable to him because it was priced to reflect the fact that it was located at the end of a runway...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The issue is not buying beside an airport, but buying beside something of a known quantity and then something changing dramatically.
    Seen this with schools. Bought beside a school then yeas later they changed the catchment, but only for a few years then went back to the original catchment. Completely screwed families for years.

There are also people who buy in an unsuitable area then try to change it to suit them. Buy beside a farm then try to curtail the farming activities.

I guess thats the nature of house buying. Things change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Absolutely zero sympathy for anyone that buys a house beside an airport and then complains about the noise.
    A friend of mine bought a nice house in the country right on the approach to one of Europe's busiest airports and spent the next decade complaining about the noise and campaigning to have the airport closed!
    By his own admission the house he bought was only affordable to him because it was priced to reflect the fact that it was located at the end of a runway...

I’d disown that friend for embarrassment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

This story reminds me of how in a previous life, I installed a telephone conferencing system in a business premises located right beside RAF Northolt in Ruislip, London. The business owner then complained that his telephone operators struggled to be heard above the noise of the jets that flew very low overhead.

His wife came back with a quick retort that the address of the building he had rented should have given him a clue... it was Number x, 'The Runway', Ruislip... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Go out to Weston and you will be astonished by the number of recent local residents who had no clue that they were beside the busiest GA airport in the country...

Advertisement