Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your commute to work like?

Options

Comments

About 35 mins drive in the morning and 25 - 30 mins in the evening. I come in for between 9:30 and 10 am though and dont go home until after 6 so I avoid rush hour traffic I'd spend a fair while longer commuting if I had rigid work hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

10-15 minute drive, very handy. Used to drive into the city centre in last job from Tallaght but got a pain in the hole with it after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Today was about 20 steps from bed to the laptop, tomorrow will be a 100km drive that usually takes about 75 minutes on the way in and 60 to get home.

Wouldn't really like to do either every day so it's a nice balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Dublin traffic, nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

25-30 mins with no school traffic
    15-20 mins no school traffic

28kms ............ 30 mins. From a beautiful town in Kildare to a Dublin Industrial Estate currently. Half of it is wonderfully scenic country roads crossing canal bridges. All good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

10 minute cycle along the canal from D8 to D2. All weathers with rain gear too - the alternative is 40-60 mins using indirect public transport routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭patmahe

15 mins drive, 20 if I stop at the SuperValu for a coffee on the way in.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

12km cycle each way through Dublin City Centre. On the very, very rare occasion i have to drive and immediately regret having to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

1hr 45mins from Blackrock, Dublin to Citywest each way by public transport :(

~30/35mins each way if I have the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

nlrkjos wrote: »
    6am flight from Cork to Amsterdam...11am Amsterdam to Bergen... 7pm helicopter to rig 15 hour commute ! then reverse that 14 day later. Well, you did ask!

I’m fascinated by rig workers. I hope the pay makes it worth it! Do you work two weeks on, two weeks off?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

12 minute cycle, 15 minutes if I'm feeling lazy...drove to other jobs for years, no particularly long commutes, maybe 30-40 minute drive but wouldn't change the cycle for the world now. Even if the weather is appalling (and it's usually not) you're done so quickly it doesn't matter anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

5 seconds up the stairs to my office at home

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Each way, I cycle 6-8 minutes usually, or on the rare occasion I have to walk these days, it's 15-20 minutes, depending if I'm going in or going home. ;) Two set of traffic lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

pretty good, i used to live around the corner from work but wasnt good for my fitness, company moved, now i have a 12km cycle each way which has done me the world of good, if raining i can get a train there , normally half empty so very civlised.
    alot of people are too lazy and its bad for their health to boot, might as well make use of the dead time

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,482 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

For 13 years I worked rotating day night 12.5giur shifts with 1.5 hour commute, it was torturous.

Thankfully now In my job I go directly to appointments from home so I’m on the clock from the minute I’m in the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

8 min walk, 1 hour train, 12 min walk

1hr 20 min not to bad for 102km

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Impossible to say... its the N11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Probably 2 minutes drive every morning and evening. No tolls, no traffic.
    Pretty lucky, but living so close brings its own challenges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

1hr 45mins from Blackrock, Dublin to Citywest each way by public transport :(

~30/35mins each way if I have the car.

Deansgrange to Citywest by bike. 20k approx. 45mins to an Hour depending on traffic volume, wind direction and how motivated I'm feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

daragh_ wrote: »
    Deansgrange to Citywest by bike. 20k approx. 45mins to an Hour depending on traffic volume, wind direction and how motivated I'm feeling.

I did that for a few years. it was always a headwind, every freaking day.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

About a ten minutes Drive. If I am on the later start, it could be 20 minutes.

About the same home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Walk from bedroom to home office... 10 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,062 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Ten minute walk. The stuff dreams are made of.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

For all those talking about 3-15 minute walk from home, do you find that if work is stressful, that it annoys you being so close to it?

I think 15-20 minutes is practically required in terms of getting your head cleared after the day but if I was going out for a walk on a saturday morning and saw the door of the office around the corner, I think it would tick me off if I wasn't feeling too positive about my job.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,299 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

45 mins each way.

Lucky I don't work in the city or you could be adding on 2 hours to the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭thomil

From apartment door to desk, it's about a 90 second walk at the moment, and yes, that includes the elevator ride.
    That'll change come May 6th, when It'll be a 20-30 minute bus ride, depending on the traffic and suicidal tendencies of the bus driver, but nothing as bad as the 90 minutes each way I had to deal with in Germany.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

About 12 minutes' drive each way. Any time I get pissed off about my job, I remember that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

About 30-35 mins in the morning, can be an hour, or just over, in the evenings.

Personally I don't think I'd like to live TOO close to work (work-from-home excepted). I'd feel like I was an easy target to be called to come in and cover a shift, or be expected to struggle in through snow or bad weather because I only live 3 minutes away sure, etc. A little distance can be a grand thing :D

Advertisement