Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your commute to work like?

Options
  • 22-04-2019 11:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭

What's your commute to work like every day? I'm currently looking for a new job in Dublin and everything I find that's interesting will involved a DART to the city, as well as a Luas.

When I started my first job last year, I could get the Dart from Clongriffin to Tara Street and walk to Dame Street. It was a fantastic commuter. Then we moved offices and I had to get a bus in addition to the above. I'm trying to avoid this in my next job, but it seems hard to avoid having to get a second mode of transport which means nearly 1.5 hours of commuting each way.

What's yours like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

One and thirty minutes each way. 3 hours in the car. Listen to plenty podcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Tallaght to Finglas every day, 20 mins in the morning 30-40 in the evening. €90 on tolls every month and €120 ish on Petrol.

Under 10 minute spin. Lovely stuff.

Had to commute to Dublin for college which meant getting a bus 2 hours before the first lecture. Have no interest in commuting long-term again, dunno how people can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

6am flight from Cork to Amsterdam...11am Amsterdam to Bergen... 7pm helicopter to rig 15 hour commute ! then reverse that 14 day later. Well, you did ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭brevity

45 minutes to an hour each way. Podcasts are a life saver.

Would like to try and learn a second language too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

25 mins each way by car. I’m lucky compared to most it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

1 hour drive and 30 minute walk each way. It weighs on the soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

Since last year, two and a half hours each way. Driving. Did it about 3 times a week initially. Since then I stay up a few nights a week and can do a day working from home. A few months left... Then I should have a 25 minute journey each way, and 600e per month back in my pocket and not in my car/b&bs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

This has been done to death at this stage.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

between 5 and 10 minutes depending on traffic at local roundabout and if i have to get petrol or not. wiukdnt swop it for the world.

• Advertisement

15 minutes each way on a scooter. Sounds ok till you see how dusty the roads are, how everyone is trying to kill you, and rain is no bueno. My actual work schedule is the good part of my job, and the fact it's easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

20 minute walk each way. Not the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Down four flights of steps, a ten minute walk and another three flights of steps. Five minute stroll to my desk from the door(phone is usually ringing)

My best commute ever, tho I hate the location.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

It's about 2 minutes to Gotham in the Batwing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

6 minutes in the morning and 8 in the evening.
    I live at one junction on the motorway and work is at the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

6 minutes by car from door to door. I get to go home for lunch. Very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Qrt

1hr10 each way approx (for college). It’s a killer even though it’s with the Luas. I’ve told myself that I’m looking for work elsewhere if I can’t eventually buy a plane 30 min cycle of the CC. Long commutes aren’t worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Vowel Movement

20km ~ 15 minutes. Most of it is on a quite backroad with the last 3 minutes on dual carriageway.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jamemid

Doing 1hr30 each way usually 6 days a week. Getting sick of it now .need to change jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

At home it was a 10 minute drive on mostly dual carriageway.

Living abroad at the minute, usually around 30 minutes on a bus (suburban to CBD).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Wow, love these new thread concepts

• Registered Users Posts: 24,829 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Can’t imagine commuting for 3 hours daily. My job was 20 minutes each way. Handy. No motorways involved, motorways bug the shît outta me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,044 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

This has been done to death at this stage.

The thread or your commute?!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Job 1: About 15-20 minutes door to door, Mostly on M50.
    Job 2: About 5 if I drive, 10 if I cycle, 30 if I walk. Depends on the weather/humour.

No complaints. I'm never in rush hour traffic. My commute time is dictated by traffic lights. Interestingly, I pass 6 sets on the way to each location. Never thought of that till now!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

20ish on motorbike
    45ish if I cycle which I try to do the most and listen to an audiobook along the way.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

30 minute cycle in SE Asian traffic (I.e. Mad Max: Fury Road) each way every day. Get to cycle by the shwedagon though, which is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

4 minutes drive. If I get the first lights, I'll get the second.

If I get the reds it's 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

13km cycle commute from west Dublin to Tara street - can be about half an hour if I’m feeling energetic. I love the consistency - schools on / off make no difference, weather issues not as bad as people think. Doing it 10 years now, so kind of forgot what it’s like to drive to work or get a bus / train.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

< 10 mins drive to the tram
    25 mins on the tram.

47 to 52 mins cycle.

Love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

An eight minute walk from the house.I win.

Advertisement