Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Yurt! wrote: »
    You get digs because you deserve them. You call people wasters and offer up fanny all yourself.

Post 137. You said that the notion of "protesting was better than nothing" was stupidity. (Something that more than resembles an insult to another poster). You can't wriggle out of it.

I responded in kind. I think your attitude is less than useless and I stand by it.

Take a walk in the fresh air for yourself.
    gozunda wrote: »
    "You deserve them" ahahahahaha. Thanks Mammy!

Look you can give over now - you have spectacularly failed to understand what was said and are now attempting to dig your way out lol! Drop the shovel and walk away before you fall into that hole...

And btw there's a difference in an argument being akin to stupidity and 'someone''being stupid. And referering to a bunch of protestors as wasters remains valid. But then you know that already :D

As you like bringing up ****e elsewhere - thanks for derailing another thread btw. The Airbnb thread was quite spectacular lol. Did the poster there 'deserve' your digs as well before you got caught for the same ****e?

Mod

The two of you stop bickering. Only warning I'm giving ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Students love a cause. Especially in good weather. They are young and innocent of real life and easily swayed by idealism. They will live and learn to make their own minds up.
    Others are querying the validity of their case.

“One of the most talked-about programmes of the past week – a primetime documentary on BBC1 – featured two people many seem to regard as living saints.

One was the presenter, Sir David Attenborough, the other Greta Thunberg, the Swedish teenage activist inspiring climate change ‘school strikes’ in several countries, including Britain.

The film’s title was Climate Change: The Facts, and these, Sir David claimed, are now ‘incontrovertible’. The film’s message was so bleak it could have been made by Extinction Rebellion, the eco-anarchist protest group which has brought Central London to a standstill.

No one has done more to convey the marvels of the natural world than Attenborough, and his long career has rightly earned him public acclaim.

Sadly, on this occasion, I believe he has presented an alarmist argument derived from a questionable use of evidence, whose nuances he has ignored.”U

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6943475/What-Attenborough-told-BBC-viewers-orangutan-fighting-digger-truth.html

I would agree - oddly Attenborough appears to have dropped over the cliff into TV drama instead of actual wildlife reportage. Tbh I used to enjoy his programmes, however they are now so largely coloured by his own personal politic that they are largely unwatchable imo. I also believe that much of it also comes from the status quo resident within the BBC imo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Veganism might be grand for layabout trustifarian crusties who never did a solid days work in their lives most of them, the rest of us won't get by on lentil soup.

Great point. Makes a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Any solution to carbon emissions which does not mention China is not a solution.

Does that mean you are not in favour of the protest or that you don't like the solutions the protestors or agitating for?

I fail to see how annoying ordinary people trying to get from A to B is going to change anything.

Protests can work, but only if they get noticed. If nothing else, ER is increasing the global warming coverage in the media. That makes change more likely right?

gozunda wrote: »
    Do you seriously believe that individuals have no role to play in the reduction of fossil fuel use or consumption? Is it solely governments who should inflict 'political solutions' on the masses? or is it time for people get up off their collective asses and put their hand where their mouth is?

As for 'naysayers' as you refer to them - there has been plenty of detailed reasons given in the thread why these protests are little more than a load of rubbish.

This protest isn't discouraging individual action. Individual action is great, but it is insufficient for solving this or many other problems - that's the whole reason we have governments. Look at plastic bag use, how effective was individual action and how effective was the plastic bag levy?

I read the thread and didn't find any reasons why the protests were a load of rubbish, perhaps you could point these out to me?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

nullzero wrote: »
    I'll only support it if they start gluing themselves to things.

The irony of using a product derived from animal carcasses to make a point about the environment by people who most likely champion animal right as well.
    They use superglue. Vegan friendly cyanoacrylate.

Animal glue is quite expensive these days it's the sort of stuff you use for furniture restorations.

• Advertisement

Are they the same as the yellow vest movement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

For all of those mentioning what about China. In terms of rolling out green energy they are actually not doing too badly. They are ahead of the USA.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dominicdudley/2019/01/11/china-renewable-energy-superpower/#6270ae3e745a

RHJ wrote: »
    For all of those mentioning what about China. In terms of rolling out green energy they are actually not doing too badly. They are ahead of the USA.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/dominicdudley/2019/01/11/china-renewable-energy-superpower/#6270ae3e745a

Agreed they'd want to start doing something tbh

https://www.ft.com/content/98839504-6334-11e8-90c2-9563a0613e56
    China’s carbon emissions set for fastest growth in 7 years. Blow for global climate change effort as Greenpeace data show 4% rise in first quarter

Carbon emissions in the country, the world’s largest emitter of greenhouse gases, rose 4 per cent in the first quarter of this year, according to calculations by the environmental group based on Chinese government statistics covering coal, cement, oil and gas. If that pace continues it would be the fastest increase since 2011.

The latest finding comes as climate researchers express concern over rising emissions in China, which accounts for more than a quarter of global carbon dioxide output.

However all The Forbes article points out is:
    China Is Set To Become The World's Renewable Energy Superpower, According To New Report...

The report points out that China has taken a lead in renewable energy and is now the world’s largest producer, exporter and installer of solar panels, wind turbines, batteries and electric vehicles.

It doesn't make explicit claims about China actually using all this technology itself.

In 2017, renewable energy in China comprised approx 26 % of total power generation, with most of the remainder (approx 70 %) provided by hugely polluting coal power plants. This compares to approx 30 % of US power generation coming from coal.

It would therefore appear from that China is currently manufacturing this stuff (mainly using traditional fossil fuel heavy Chinese industries) and flogging them to the rest of the world)

A bit ironic really ...

Are they the same as the yellow vest movement?

No the yellow vest movement was very much anti carbon tax and they didn't want any increases to fuel taxes. They also seemed to be more willing to use violence to achieve their aims.

One thing I would like to see. And I don't understand why they aren't more popular Is people commuting on small scooters. I'd love to see new tax incentives and even a relaxation of licensing laws to push people Especially in Dublin. To commute using newly available electric scooters perhaps something like this.

https://www.niu.com/en/

• Advertisement

One thing I would like to see. And I don't understand why they aren't more popular Is people commuting on small scooters. I'd love to see new tax incentives and even a relaxation of licensing laws to push people Especially in Dublin. To commute using newly available electric scooters perhaps something like this.

I would wager two reasons - the weather and the fact some people see them only as an excuse to avoid paying insurance, road tax etc. The Gardai are currently seizing them from those currently breaking the law.
    "Regardless of the type of bike, the rule is as follows: if it can be powered by mechanical or electrical power alone (i.e. it can go without you pedalling or scooting it) then it is considered to be a mechanically propelled vehicle (MPV)...

Under Road Traffic Law, if an MPV is used in a public place it is subject to all of the regulatory controls that apply to other vehicles i.e. it must be registered, taxed and comply with both lighting and vehicle construction, equipment and use regulations (i.e. be roadworthy, have the proper brakes and lighting etc.)

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/footage-shows-gardai-seizing-scooters-14431934[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 16,299 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Austria! wrote: »
    Protests can work, but only if they get noticed. If nothing else, ER is increasing the global warming coverage in the media. That makes change more likely right?

They would also get noticed if they did what I suggested which was to protest at the Dail.

It makes more sense than plonking themselves in the middle of the road holding up everyone who wants to enjoy the long weekend.

But that's the way with these hippie types, they jump on a cause and never think it through.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,299 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

No the yellow vest movement was very much anti carbon tax and they didn't want any increases to fuel taxes. They also seemed to be more willing to use violence to achieve their aims.

It's all fine and dandy for crusties to be looking for increases to fuel taxes but they might be whistling a different tune in a few years when they could have to commute for an hour or more to get to work like the rest of us have to.

Fuel taxes will just just put more financial pressure on working people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

EU preparing to fine us millions of € for exceeding our allowed CO2 emissions.

Gardai seizing small eco-friendly EVs.

People installing solar PV panels on their roof, exporting power to the grid at peak demand time in the middle of the day, and the networks refusing to pay them for the electricity.

This country is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

It's all fine and dandy for crusties to be looking for increases to fuel taxes but they might be whistling a different tune in a few years when they could have to commute for an hour or more to get to work like the rest of us have to.

Fuel taxes will just just put more financial pressure on working people.
    I've a good job, nice house, family. I fully support green taxes. Not a crusty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I've a good job, nice house, family. I fully support green taxes. Not a crusty.

Most are though. Would lie on the floor if work was in the bed.

Not the type we need to be influencing decisions that affect normal people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I'm heartened to see someone took the time to do a comprehensive survey of all the participants employment status. Would you care to share the data with us?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

They would also get noticed if they did what I suggested which was to protest at the Dail.

Oh god I doubt that very much. There were climate protests not too long ago that didn't disrupt and got very little coverage

Very interesting video here. I think you may be correct btw. Lovely types calling the police 'facist pigs". :rolleyes: Can't find the original which I was viewing earlier ...so my apologies in advance - it appears to now be available on the sun website :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

jasper100 wrote: »
    It took over 200,000 years of human history for the world's population to reach 1 billion;[2] and only 200 years more to reach 7 billion

Says it all really. We are great for culling seals, deer, foxes, rats badgers etc. etc., but the dirtiest shower of rodents of all are humans and we are completely out of control destroying everything in our path and there is no stopping us.

Bang your dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Why do these climate change wafflers always believe there is time to fix things? If there was no time to fix things they would have zero soapbox to perform on.

They were spouting the same nonsense 30 years ago nothing happened yet fools keep on believing them.

https://www.nytimes.com/1989/11/14/science/governments-start-preparing-for-global-warming-disasters.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

What’s Behind Climate Change Activist Greta Thunberg’s Remarkable Rise To Fame?
    Doubts were first raised when the Swiss magazine Weltwoche published an article last month entitled ‘We’re making a climate icon’.

It revealed that Thunberg’s school strike had coincided neatly with the launch of a book about climate change written by her mother, Malena Ernman.

Is this a coincidence? It looks less like one when you learn from the same article that the first publicity of Thunberg’s protest came via the social media of the book’s PR man, Ingmar Rentzhog, on the day of its launch.

It seems that Rentzhog took a freelance photographer along to the school strike, later posting the pictures on his Facebook and video on his company’s YouTube channel.

Meanwhile, Swedish journalist Henrik Alexandersson has claimed that Thunberg’s much-touted speech to the Katowice summit was actually delivered to an almost empty hall – perhaps unsurprising given that she was speaking near the end of the day.

Yet it was hard to tell this from the film of her speech – which went viral – which only showed close-ups of her face, a shot of the stage and a brief sequence of an apparently appreciative crowd. Nevertheless, it was this apparently inauspicious event that propelled Thunberg to worldwide fame.

Further worrying details have also emerged. As well as working for Greta’s mother, Rentzhog had also recently launched a business called ‘We Don’t Have Time’, a sort of climate-focused PR agency.

In October 2018, he invited Greta to join the company’s Youth Advisory Board and in the weeks that followed he used her image intensively ahead of the company’s share issue.

source

Netflix getting in ever deeper water over David Attenborough Walrus death documentary
    The new Netflix show Our Planet has quickly become very controversial. The focus of concern has been a sequence in which Pacific walruses fall from cliffs in the Siberian Arctic to their deaths. This, Sir David Attenborough claimed in his narration, was down to climate change, which had melted the sea ice and forced the walruses ashore.

But it wasn’t long before some fairly large holes began to appear in the story. One commentator pointed out a newspaper report of polar bears driving hundreds of walruses over the cliffs at a Siberian site called Cape Kozhenikova, a tiny peninsula around half a square kilometre in area, near the village of Ryrkaypiy. When it was subsequently shown beyond doubt that this was the location where the Netflix team had obtained their footage, alarm bells started to sound.

Other people pointed out that walruses have always hauled out on beaches, even when there is sea ice in the vicinity. Each autumn, they move along the northern coast of Siberia ahead of the sea ice reforming. If some ice lingers through the summer it can be useful as a safe place to haul out to rest, but if there is too much of it, access to food can be restricted. Either way, there certainly seems to have been a regular haulout at Ryrkaypiy before the era of global warming, and potentially through to the 1960s, when the growth of the village and a decline in the walrus population led to the site being abandoned. However, the walruses returned in 2007, and seem to have visited every year since, in close proximity to a population of between 10 and 25 polar bears.

source

What David Attenborough’s climate change show didn’t tell you
    But what I won’t let go is this growing practice – which is lazy at best and quite often born of scurrilous motives – of trying to link every adverse weather event to climate change. In this, Attenborough’s documentary was a masterclass. It wasn’t so much what he was saying as that he resorted to the same trick used by Al Gore and many others who have made films on the subject – running a discourse on climate change against footage of devastating hurricanes, wildfires and other disasters. While Attenborough did say on a couple of occasions during the film that it was not possible to link any particular weather event to climate change he must know how viewers – especially sensitive, younger ones are going to ingest it. He will have succeeded in planting the idea in many thousands if not millions of minds that every time we have a storm, a flood, a wildfire or anything else, we are watching climate change in action.

source

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

You meant empathy, agree with most of your post but this is bollocks.
    This is simply a rose tinted view of the past, you know, the same past that had two major wars...or global unpleasantness if you will. We are in a far less violent society now statistically, in the West at any rate, any violence that does happen is likely to be reported widely which was not always the case in the past.

I did mean empathy, cheers.

Hardly rose tinted, I am not sure where you live / lived, but Dublin is a completely different place, I was a ķid in the 80s, people used to say hello to each other, help others, give seats up to elderly and pregnant women, hold the doors for each other and say please and thank you. Every day I see people walking over each other to get on an empty train, women trying to shove me to get on quicker if I am letting people go ahead of me.

Wars of the past were men off to fight men from another country. I was talking about going about your day to day, there were damn all murders in Ireland in the 80s, now there are around 2 a week.

Serial killers have no empathy which is the angle I was talking about, I would worry about a sharp increase.

People striving for a perfect image of themselves online, in pictures by themselves preened within an inch of their lives, filtered pictures not looking so human, accessibility to porn and kids in primary exposed to it and the increase in these human sex dolls.

Even in the last year the cases of Jastine Valdez was troubling and the Ana Kriegel case more so with the father of one of the boys trying to cover it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

At least they are trying to do something, what have you done?
    That's it exactly.

As per usual this thread is full of the usual brainless comments from the "ordineddy daycent worrikers" sneering at anyone genuinely trying to make a difference. Sitting there in their cocoon of nescience, content everything will be alright so long as they have their ****e three bedroomed house, a Ford Focus and tablets for their fat overindulged kids.

Climate change is happening and our species is racing towards extinction. Ignorance will not be bliss when it catches up and your grandchildren will be fleeing refugees from landwars or ****ting their ****ing guts out from all of the plastic in the oceans.

We need protests. We need to disrupt traffic and the Luas. We need to act now or the human species will be a memory in a few centuries. We need blood on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    We need protests. We need to disrupt traffic and the Luas. We need to act now or the human species will be a memory in a few centuries. We need blood on the streets.
    Stuff and nonsense although, of course, you are entitled to express your opinion.

When I was a lad, every now and then there'd be a couple of blokes standing on street corners with posters proclaiming "The End is Nigh" even, on occasions, naming specific dates. Everyone else just laughed and went on their way.

The drug-fuelled Eco-Anarchists who have never done a day's work in their lives don't get it that there has always been climate change and there always will be climate change and there is sweet FA they can do about it.

Woke Hogan wrote: »

Not sure if being being serious or ...

Funny thing about the clarion call of "at least they're trying to do something, what are you doing!"

It's not like the same pop psychology hasn't been used to appeal to the masses previously...

http://conversiondetectives.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Conversion-Alerts.jpg

No doubt there's well intentioned people who get involved but the trouble with movements like they seem to attract various crackpots and the genuinely bewildered ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Despite popular opinion Ireland doesn’t have a high tax rate most of the working population don’t pay that much when compared to other countries in Europe in fact one source I have read puts our tax rate as quite low.

“According to figures from the OECD, Ireland, with a tax burden of just 23.6 per cent in 2015, was behind only Mexico (17.4 per cent) and Chile (20.7 per cent), and was far lower than the OECD average (34.3 per cent)”

Source: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/ireland-v-the-rest-of-the-world-do-we-pay-too-much-tax-1.3230432

That is just income tax, duty on petrol, diesel, alcohol and cigarettes is huge in Ireland, tax on insurance premiums including health insurance. Not to mention worse services than the countries we are behind on that income tax list which includes education, childcare and care of elderly and disabled. Our mortgage rates are higher than theirs too.

Anyway, I feel I have gone way off topic here a few times so will leave it there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

We need, we need, we need...more rubbish...on the streets. Apparently.

D4tK9DqXoAA6DXS.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D4tK9DqXoAA6DXS.jpg

• Advertisement

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Thungberg was in London yesterday reciting her script and grown women protestors nearly wet themselves.

Travelling all over the world again - all those emissions. Amazing that those kids calling on the rest of us to stop using fossil fuels are happy to jump on a plane / train / automobile to tell us that ...

Advertisement