Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conti GP4000 or GP5000?

• 19-04-2019 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Need a new set of clinchers and given they're out a while now I wondered if anyone had any feedback on the new GP5000s?

I'm happy to invest if people feel it's worth it and there are heaps of Easter deals but as the (ultra reliable) 4000s can now be got for a song are the 5000s worth the premium?

I don't race and I cover about 6k a year but if I thought I'd minimise further the potential for punctures..........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

When GP5000’s were released I bought another pair of 4000’s in case they’re discontinued. Reviews of the 5’s say they are good but none say they’re better than the 4’s.

The Rolling Resistance website also concludes that at 80psi 4000’s with latex tubes (which I use) have less RR than the 5000’s, they're also wider, have better puncture resistance (thread and sidewalk) and are lighter.

I can’t see any reason to go for 5000’s unless your buying the tubeless version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭harringtonp

The Rolling Resistance website

Best website I've seen for independent testing, the DC Rainmaker for all things tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Best website I've seen for independent testing, the DC Rainmaker for all things tyres

DC Rainmaker for all things electronic not tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

When GP5000’s were released I bought another pair of 4000’s in case they’re discontinued. Reviews of the 5’s say they are good but none say they’re better than the 4’s.

The Rolling Resistance website also concludes that at 80psi 4000’s with latex tubes (which I use) have less RR than the 5000’s, they're also wider, have better puncture resistance (thread and sidewalk) and are lighter.

I read that and thought I was missing something, hence the post.

Thanks for the info

• Advertisement

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Mantel.ie have the 5000s for about €40

Hadn't spotted that, thanks. Certainly look to be the cheapest out there

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Just looking for somewhere to give my feedback on these tyres compared to the 4000S II which were my go to tyres.

A side by side comparison as I still have GP4000SII on my commuter and the 5000 on my racer but both are racing bikes of comparable speed.

Grip: I always found the GP4000SII to be good compared to other race style tyres, there are a few I have used that were as good, and some slightly better but probably a good deal slower. The GP5000 are a noticeable step up for me in regards grip, they hold the road better, the bike takes corners far tighter and faster than I would have been able to do on the GP4000S which were more than adequate.

Longevity: The GP4000SII were a bit hit and miss but typically I got a good few 1000kms out of them, typically a year per set at 40km a day. The GP5000 so far do not look like they will even get a fraction of that, the rear already is developing flat spots from one or two random skid stops, and they look as worn as my GP4000 after a few 1000km and they can't have even 1000km under them yet, front is fine but the rear is wearing quickly. The GP4000 I have on at the minute are on a track bike and I have been locking up the rear wheel daily for a month and its barely done anything.

Puncture proof ability: The GP4000SII were always funny, they would not puncture for a few 1000km and then once one happened they would be near daily, it was pretty much the en of life sign. My GP5000SII have punctured, different tyres, a few times, one I may have missed the microscopic thorn but the other was a sliver rock that buried in to the rubber. The GP4000 wins hand down particularly if you are using for commuting.

A few lads I race with said the same thing when I punctured last night, the GP5000 are getting a reputation for the flats, but they also agree on the grip, some being confused hat the increase in grip does not seem to hamper rolling resistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Just on longevity when you say a few thousand kms on GP4000'sII??
    Ive near 5000km on a set (the back wheel looks to be squaring off now) and I've had 2 punctures (on the front)recently but that could be the surfaces ive been on.
    I have the GP5000's on the winter bike in a 32mm so not enough done on them to make a call...
    I was thinking on GP5000 for the summer bike to try it out but a bit more expensive so not sure now.

Just on longevity when you say a few thousand kms on GP4000'sII??
    Ive near 5000km on a set (the back wheel looks to be squaring off now) and I've had 2 punctures (on the front)recently but that could be the surfaces ive been on.
    I have the GP5000's on the winter bike in a 32mm so not enough done on them to make a call...
    I was thinking on GP5000 for the summer bike to try it out but a bit more expensive so not sure now.

Minimum 6500km on the GP4000S2, but often 10000km, would have a definitive flat patch in the middle but still rideable until the punctures start.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Minimum 6500km on the GP4000S2, but often 10000km, would have a definitive flat patch in the middle but still rideable until the punctures start.

Just checked over the GP4000SII on my track bike, loads of skid stops so expected a bit of damage. looked pretty good until I seen where the outer carcass had been torn off at one point. About half the size of a cent. No flats and rolling fine but I suspect it is only a matter of time, will be holding a spare tyre in my bag from tomorrow. about 7800km done on them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,985 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i bought a couple of GP4000s from Cram a while back, they still look pretty new. on puncture, my fault, i let the pressure get too low and got a snakebite.

Unable to fina any discernible improvement I opted for the 4000s in the end.

€66 for a pair in Wiggle and got herself to open a new account and she got the €10 off, so €56. No brainer for me at the time

I see they are doing good deals on 10 packs on wiggle / CRC, might be worth an investment before they are gone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,985 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

works out at €330 for ten tyres though, from the links it's showing me, as opposed to a single tyre for €35.50?

works out at €330 for ten tyres though, from the links it's showing me, as opposed to a single tyre for €35.50?

I was looking yesterday, it was that plus tubes for the 330, looks like it is gone now, they had a load of other sizes up yesterday as well so I presume they are moving fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Bit of a thread resurrect here. I bought one of those GP4000 ten packs and have been steadily working my way through them on various bikes. Finally ran out and 4000's aren't to be had anywhere so I had no choice but to go the 5000.

Wow. All I have here in terms of data is my own perception, but they feel to me like the biggest performance upgrade I've ever done to a bike. They roll absolutely beautifully and feel really smooth and fast. I've a set of 25's on one bike and I've fitted 23's to my S2. They don't look like skinny 23's and they don't ride like I remember 23's to ride. They're really really excellent. Early days yet in terms of wear etc but happy days so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭byrnem31

They are about as durable as toilet paper and pig tight. I bought a set then gave them away on here for free. I have 2 x €20 tyres on now that roll just as good and are far more durable. Thats my experience of gp 5000s.

Still the best grip I have experienced, I can lean into corners in Corkagh Park like I am a pro moto rider with knee pads. Durability seems to have improved from the first batches but still don't trust them like I did the GP4000s as a commuter / racer tyre but no punctures on my latest set and they have been on the bike for almost two years, albeit a lot less riding than usual as I have been using the CX bike for commuting a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

They don't suit some rims - of course the rim manufacturers won't disclose that perspective at all so it's a bit of trial and error. If you try to put them on rims that don't behave with the GP5000 (Mavic USTs for example) then you'll face the same frustration as byrnem31 and it will probably colour your view of the tyre as a whole.

On a rim they behave with they are a suberb tyre - the pinnacle of Continental tyre development for racing and fast riding.

I wouldn't waste them on a commute or really expose them to year round use on our dirty winter roads - use the 4 Seasons tyre for that instead. Where these come into their own is on clean roads - wet or dry - where absolute progress is the goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Good to know. I'm just coming to the end of my stock of Continental Force and Attack pairs of tyres. Was thinking about trying the GP5000's. I see they are 35.99 in Alltricks - good price?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

Its funny how much of a personal choice tyres are. I used to be a GP4000 man, but they kept on getting punctures and rips so I gave up on them. I don't think they are suited to Irish road. However on reflection it may be that they are just not suited to the heavier rider in conjunction with the average (poor) Irish road surfaces. I have since moved on to Specialized tires and have gone tubeless, and having a much happier experience..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

State of the roads around Wicklow the last couple of weeks, I wouldn't want less that 4 seasons at the moment. I don't recall them being quite so bad other years. fwiw I've been lazy other years and left them on well into spring without really noticing.

I did like the 4000's, and only changed the front (after a tear with a puncture) to a 5000 and it seemed nicer rolling and grippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭Russman

Apologies for the slight threadjack, and probably very silly question, but I didn't really think it was worth starting a new thread. For those who bought a 10 pack or a decent supply of tyres, where do you store them ? I've 5 GP 4 Seasons tyres, unopened, still in their little cardboard packages, for about a year now that I've just kept in a little plastic drawer unit in the garden shed. Obviously its dry but would be draughty/cold in winter - presumably there's no issues with tyres being stored like this ? Given tyres actually on a bike would be in the very same shed during the winter ?

I keep em in a press in the house. It's not something I'd be overly concerned about tbh. At the prices Cyclesuperstore charge for GP's I've no doubt but that they stay on their shelves unsold for years too! :).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭Russman

Thanks for that !

Very true 😀. Although I hope CSS is a little warmer than my shed 😁😁!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

fwiw I hadn't even thought about it, and they stay in the shed! I've a few I swap around that a hung open from the roof, and haven't noticed any issues. I've assumed light would be more an issue that (low) temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭ARX

That's gas. I must have about 15K km or more on my GP4000s (I can't even remember when I put them on) and the rear is only losing its wear indicators now. There's one small 5mm cut on the back, no other damage. Apart from a pinch flat and a few recent punctures caused by the rim hole being exposed by the tape I can't remember when I last punctured on them. And I'm no lightweight. Still a good bit left on the front so I'm going to move the front to the rear and put the GP that just arrived from Mantel (4 days from order to delivery) on the front.

EDIT: just checked my emails and found that I got them in May 2013 😯 I did Vätternrundan the following month so they must have been in use since then!

Yeah, it's amazing how different people can experience the same tyre. I'm like you, I got phenomenal long term use out of any GP4000's I ever fitted. A couple of times I refreshed tyres simply because I thought I should rather than because it was actually needed! I only recently went to do that on a bike and realised one of them was a 23 - it must have been on that front wheel for 7 years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I've been using GP4000 exclusively since 2015 or so, and have primarily have used them on really poor condition back roads and they have been brilliant.

That's probably circa 40k km or so with typically a puncture a year. Yet in the last two 200 I rode in the last 5 weeks I've had 2 puncture per ride, and I haven't changed a thing. Sometimes your luck is out.

I'll attach some of the surfaces they have dealt with with minimal issues.

I've ridden them in 28mm and when measure on a 17.5mm internal width they measure 31mm. I hear the GP5000 meaure accurate or even small; has anyone experience of 30mm or 32mm Gp5000 clinchers on similar rims?

Advertisement