Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Athenry objectors seek permission to take case to Supreme Court

Options
  • 05-12-2017 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭

Apple Athenry objectors seek permission to take case to Supreme Court.
    There is no automatic right to have such an appeal heard before the highest court in the land and the threshold is even higher than the High Court but this latest development will undoubtedly delay the process even further.

A decision on whether to allow it is expected in the coming weeks.

Source:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Jim 77

I hope that if Apple pulls out because of the delay then the State looks for an alternative data centre operator. A lot of the preparatory work will have been done and the objector(s) can't possibly delay things by the same amount a second time around.

Supreme Court told planning law “radically misapplied” in Apple Athenry case

The law was “radically misapplied” by An Bord Pleanála when they gave the go ahead for Apple to build an €850 million date centre in Athenry the Supreme Court has been told.
    While Apple has decided to give up its plans for a data centre in Athenry after the project spent years in legal limbo, the Supreme Court is still hearing two objectors’ case.

The central part of the objection has always been whether An Bord Pleanála was obliged to consider the environmental impact of eight data halls, Apple’s masterplan for the site, instead of just the one hall which was contained in the application

Full story here - https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/supreme-court-told-planning-law-radically-misapplied-in-apple-athenry-case/

I would argue that, as the centre is not getting built, it is no longer a Galway County issue. What happens in courts out of Galway is none of our concern, until some new project comes in that the laws here apply to.

I would argue that, as the centre is not getting built, it is no longer a Galway County issue. What happens in courts out of Galway is none of our concern, until some new project comes in that the laws here apply to.

Tells that to the many in county Galway still very, VERY interested in the topic

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

I still wonder who bankrolled them

dok_golf wrote: »
    I still wonder who bankrolled them

Wonder all you want, meanwhile you'll find the tinfoil hats in aisle 3,just past the conspiracy forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I have mixed feelings about this. Living in Athenry, I think it would have helped the town, even if the ongoing number of jobs after completion would be in single or low double digits.

However, I also think that the environmental impact should have looked at the full plan of 8 buildings to provide a clear path for the full set to be built.
    I don't think it would have been feasible to do an impact survey for the first building, then the second, then the third and so on. What happens if, after the Nth (N<8) is built, the environmental impact becomes negative when permission is being sought for the subsequent building?
    Having the survey done for the full site and having a plan in place gives clarity to the company seeking to build and the locals. Yeah, there may be unseen circumstances, and maybe in the future they would want to build a 9th or a 10th, but at least the initial plan would be complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

The county council has approved plans by Apple to keep the possibility open for the construction of a data centre in Athenry.

The council has granted a five year extension of its planning permission for a data centre at the site in Derrydonnell where Apple once envisioned plans for an €850 million project.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement