Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passed speed camera and pulled by Gardai

Options
  • 18-04-2019 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Long story warning!

Today I was driving along a dual carriageway in a 100km/h zone doing about 120km/h. As I was overtaking in the right lane I noticed a gosafe van and slowed down significantly, but im still not sure if it caught me or not.
    Just as I had done this, I noticed a Garda car with blue lights in coming up behind me at speed to pull me over. The Garda gave me 3 points and an €80 fine for speeding understandably.

My question is, what do I do if I now also get a fine for being caught by the gosafe van? I know it’s my own fault for speeding in the first place, but I can hardly be done twice for the one speeding offense? I was literally pulled over by the Garda not even 200 meters from the van.

Thanks in advance guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭XsApollo

200 meters after the van or before the van.
    Go safe van doesn’t detect 200 meters down the road as far as I know.
    2 and a half times the width of the road is the distance it detects.
    So you basically have to be on top of them to get caught by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BuzzMcdonnell

XsApollo wrote: »

Sorry, what I mean is I braked about 50 meters before the van, and immediately after that I saw the gardai behind me with blues on. It was 200 meters down the road that I was pulled into the hard shoulder speaking with the Garda.

Anybody able to help me here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Anybody able to help me here?

Wait until you get the fine and worry about it then.

Presumably you would have to go to court and argue your case and the judge may agree that you only pay the fine once.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

That sounds like BS.

If you're going to outfit a custom built speed detection van, I'd fully expect it to nail you with the best long range laser detection system.

If you get double charged, then I'm sure you've definitely a right to challenge ONE of those offenses. But don't expect to get off both of them.

• Advertisement

rgodard80a wrote: »
    That sounds like BS.

If you're going to outfit a custom built speed detection van, I'd fully expect it to nail you with the best long range laser detection system.

If you get double charged, then I'm sure you've definitely a right to challenge ONE of those offenses. But don't expect to get off both of them.

Of course i have absolutely no problem paying the fine and taking the points for one of them, but I just don’t think it’s fair to be charged twice for the one offense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Of course i have absolutely no problem paying the fine and taking the points for one of them, but I just don’t think it’s fair to be charged twice for the one offense.

Suppose it depends how you define the one offence.

Let's say the gosafe van was 3km before the garda, and both caught you speeding.

Is that one offence or two offences?

Suppose it depends how you define the one offence.

Let's say the gosafe van was 3km before the garda, and both caught you speeding.

Is that one offence or two offences?

I know where you’re coming from. It was nowhere near 3km in my case though.
    To give a bit of perspective, when I passed the gosafe van I had just began to slow down as I noticed the Garda car in my mirror, but did not immediately realise he was coming after me.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

That sounds like BS.

Anywhere but Ireland and I'd agree 🀣🀣🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i think it would be perfectly fair to charge you twice.
    you're driving in a 100k zone and you choose to drive at 120.
    tough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I think the real answer will lie in what speeds you are charged with, if the Garda clocked you in excess of the 120 and then the Speed van clocked you at 110/115 in the 100 zone you might not have as much wriggle room as you'd like. Also would likely depend on if you were clocked in two different speed zones say 80 and 100

i think it would be perfectly fair to charge you twice.
    you're driving in a 100k zone and you choose to drive at 120.
    tough.

Explain how it’s perfectly fair?
    Yes I broke the law, hardly crime of the century though.
    It’s hardly fair to get 6 penalty points for that.

Spook_ie wrote: »
    I think the real answer will lie in what speeds you are charged with, if the Garda clocked you in excess of the 120 and then the Speed van clocked you at 110/115 in the 100 zone you might not have as much wriggle room as you'd like. Also would likely depend on if you were clocked in two different speed zones say 80 and 100

I get you, was definitely the same speed limit though, only down the road from each other on a dual carriageway.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭SVI40

According to a pal in the Roads Policing, they have a range of 1Km. Naturally, it will depend on traffic and how close cars are to each other, but on an empty road, 1Km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Explain how it’s perfectly fair?
    Yes I broke the law, hardly crime of the century though.
    It’s hardly fair to get 6 penalty points for that.

Crime of the century it may not be but technically it is correct.

Both the Garda and go safe van potentially caught you speeding at different points along the road, the Garda possibly clocked you maybe a kilometer or more before the go safe van possibly caught you (it just took time for Garda to catch up to you).

Did the Garda show you the speedgun with the speed on it ? Or did he/she just tell you they saw you speeding ?

Unfortunately if you were caught twice you have to accept the 6points or risk it increasing to 8points if you try to challenge one of them and fail, if successful however, it would be only 3points.

Unfortunately for you we don’t have fairness in our courts system, we have courts of law, not courts of justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

I wouldn’t recommend it as it would sound quite cheeky, but wonder what the garda would say if you suggested that if you were actually speeding, then the van would have clocked you

Crime of the century it may not be but technically it is correct.

Both the Garda and go safe van potentially caught you speeding at different points along the road, the Garda possibly clocked you maybe a kilometer or more before the go safe van possibly caught you (it just took time for Garda to catch up to you).

Did the Garda show you the speedgun with the speed on it ? Or did he/she just tell you they saw you speeding ?

Unfortunately if you were caught twice you have to accept the 6points or risk it increasing to 8points if you try to challenge one of them and fail, if successful however, it would be only 3points.

Unfortunately for you we don’t have fairness in our courts system, we have courts of law, not courts of justice.

He never showed me the gun I’m afraid.

My thinking would be if I went to court, and say I was clocked by the Garda at 10:31 and also clocked by the van at 10:31, it might show that it was the same speeding offense.

I wouldn’t recommend it as it would sound quite cheeky, but wonder what the garda would say if you suggested that if you were actually speeding, then the van would have clocked you

Wouldn’t fancy trying that anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

Wait till the tickets arrive. Send a photocopy of the tickets to the fines office in Thurles, you can ask that one be appealed. Better then waiting to go to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

He never showed me the gun I’m afraid.

My thinking would be if I went to court, and say I was clocked by the Garda at 10:31 and also clocked by the van at 10:31, it might show that it was the same speeding offense.

If he didn’t show you the handheld radar, he has no physical proof you were speeding ...risky to challenge this as it’s essentially your word against a Garda if you go to court and chances are you probably admitted speeding after he pulled you in (in a you versus Garda situation in court you more than likely would loose, but could be successful on appeal...road traffic appeals are more lenient than district court judges dealing with road traffic offenses.)

If the go safe van did clock you, it’s possible you will have to suck up the 6points (each caught you speeding at different places)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Sorry, what I mean is I braked about 50 meters before the van, and immediately after that I saw the gardai behind me with blues on. It was 200 meters down the road that I was pulled into the hard shoulder speaking with the Garda.

The Gardai clocked you a half mile/mile or more before the speed van. The fact that you were stopped 200 meters from the van doesn't mean that you were clocked 200 metres from the van

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭XsApollo

That sounds like BS.

It’s written somewhere on their site , I’ll dig it out.
    I didn’t make it up and I’m nearly sure I read it somewhere official.

EDIT: I dunno know if they have a site , i remember reading it tho. :-D

EDIT 2 : can’t find anything on that.
    And I’m going to sleep. Maybe I dreamt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

It's worth pursuing imo, if you're caught for multiple offences, you can be fined for each but you only get the points for the offence which carries the most points.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

That sounds like BS.

They catch an average of one car an hour. I'd imagine they have a certain smallish area that they can catch you within and that's it. I know a lot of people who were speeding, thought they were going to get a fine after spotting the van, then received nothing in the post.

Simona1986 wrote: »
    It's worth pursuing imo, if you're caught for multiple offences, you can be fined for each but you only get the points for the offence which carries the most points.

I think the best bet is to wait until I get the fines and arrange a meeting with a solicitor who specializes in road traffic law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Slightly off topic... Wasn’t there a case brought to court a while back where someone out by the airport M1 junction was clocked speeding by a go safe 5 days in a row (or something like that) and effectively lost his license? IIRC he challenged it in court and said he didn’t see the go safe nor the speed limit and since he hadn’t received a fine in the post (yet) said he didn’t know he was being fined (and would have slowed down if he did) . I think the judge was lenient on him and was allowed to keep his license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Look up continuous offences. I won't be engaging in AH moralising.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Cordell

Not trying to moralize the OP, just asking genuinely: I usually drive with the cruise control set at 125, which will put me at around legal limit in real speed. Let's say there are 2 speed vans 50kms away (in different counties), and it's a quiet very early morning with no traffic so it's safe to assume that my speed will stay constant. Let's say I forget where I am and set the cruise control at 140. Will I be committing 2 offences, or just one?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Presumably the gosafe also caught the cop speeding to catch up with you?:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Slightly off topic... Wasn’t there a case brought to court a while back where someone out by the airport M1 junction was clocked speeding by a go safe 5 days in a row (or something like that) and effectively lost his license? IIRC he challenged it in court and said he didn’t see the go safe nor the speed limit and since he hadn’t received a fine in the post (yet) said he didn’t know he was being fined (and would have slowed down if he did) . I think the judge was lenient on him and was allowed to keep his license.

That was 5 separate offences. The OP was speeding and caught twice for the same offence.

Advertisement