Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cot bumpers

Options
  • 18-04-2019 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

I have heard that cot bumpers/decorations etc. can be a cause of SIDS. What are peoples thoughts? Have people bought bumpers that can be attached properly that would not be able to fall down on the baby? Are bumpers needed? Or is a cot, mattress, mattress cover and duvet all that is needed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Sarah1916 wrote: »
    I have heard that cot bumpers/decorations etc. can be a cause of SIDS. What are peoples thoughts? Have people bought bumpers that can be attached properly that would not be able to fall down on the baby? Are bumpers needed? Or is a cot, mattress, mattress cover and duvet all that is needed?

They’re totally unnecessary IMO. I got a present of one when I had my first child, used it for a while because I felt obliged. It’s never been used since, and certainly not missed

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

No bumpers needed.I would be afraid to use them to be honest, as my kids got a bit bigger (around 5 months or so) and moved around a bit, they often ended up sleeping with their face up against the side of the cot.I would worry the bumper would impede airflow.Also you do not need a duvet until the child is a good bit bigger in the cot.Cellular blankets or a sleeping bag are much safer - for me, anyway.People have differing opinions on sleeping bags early on-they are available for 0-6 months, but myself I have only put the baby in them at 6 months.We just used cellular blankets up to that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Sarah1916

Thanks - I appreciate the replies.

I probably agree on the grow bags/sleeping bags. 0-6 months is too much of a gap, they look way too big to be putting a newborn in them. I would be afraid of it going over their face.

And I think you have confirmed my thoughts that I will forget about the bumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Once a baby is full term and healthy sleeping bags can be used once they're the right size. I used from birth, they'd kick off blankets and wake up cold. Never any issue. Bumpers are a no, as are duvets.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It's true, I just never bothered with the newborn sleeping bags myself, but they are brilliant anyway for 6 months and up-wouldn't be without them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I got 0 to 3 month ones in Tk maxx.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Definitely no cot bumpers or duvets for babies... my preference has been to stick with the Gro Company brand of gro bags as they’re approved by the Lullaby Trust and they have minimum weights on them not just ages. I have big babies so was able to use them from a week or two old and much handier and reassuring than blankets

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Sarah1916

OK great - I will try and pick up some 0-3 months as they would probably fit a newborn better. I am not due until August but just trying to get prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Sarah1916 wrote: »
    OK great - I will try and pick up some 0-3 months as they would probably fit a newborn better. I am not due until August but just trying to get prepared.

Be wary of being too prepared. You might find that things you think you can’t do without now just gather dust!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Tis all up to you on if you want to use them or not in todays day and age I would not be too worried, as most if not all are made from breathable materials and have ties...

Have used them all, One we got from Aldi was really annoying me as it did not fit correctly to the cot (it went at the top not around the sides) so I took it off one day, and sure herself got her leg stuck in between the bars of the cot... We got the wrap around mess ones, which were great and then bumper bars ones for now...

but tis all up to what ye want to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Of course it’s up to you the guards aren’t going to come in and remove your cot bumpers but to say they’re breathable etc so safe is absolutely incorrect. They’re dangerous and a recognised factor in babies and toddlers dying so they are completely recommended to avoid

https://www.tommys.org/pregnancy-information/im-pregnant/pregnancy-news-and-blogs/safer-sleep-babies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

We only added a bumper low down on the bars of the cot nearest the wall when my son was about one as his soother kept falling down that side in the night. I wouldn't have added it sooner. To me it is similar to having a duvet or teddies. It just seems unnecessarily risky.

Advertisement