Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airing Religious Views

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

'The bible said it' doesn't wash, the bible says a whole heap of contradictory stuff, that people pick and choose. If you're not a reclusive hermit living on the mountain in a sackcloth your nothing more than a hypocrite telling someone else they are going to Hell. Why don't these types ever focus on the love thy neighbour as the thyself, jesus died to save you stuff? No its always rules and hell.

And good for those who aren't religious and don't care he says you're going to Hell, but what about those who are? The young people struggling with their sexuality and religion? Why not tell them God created them in his image and Jesus loves them?

Pure scum

Funny that...it actually says."God made them in His image, male and female."

If you're going to try back up your position with a Bible verse, at least get it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

BattleCorp wrote:
    I don't think that's worth losing your job over.

If your employer has warned you about your behaviour and you ignore said warning what do you think should happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

lawred2 wrote: »
    you seem to have conflated incitement to hatred with incitement to violence

And you seem to missing the very basis of religion.

Sinners get punished, followers get rewarded.

That's basically every religion ever, summed up in one succinct sentence.

It's hardly the first time any of us have heard this!

If your employer has warned you about your behaviour and you ignore said warning what do you think should happen?

Does your employer interfere in your religious beliefs?

Do you think they should be allowed to?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,291 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

And what's that response got to do with anything? Certainly doesn't serve as a response to what I posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I don't agree with Israel Falou's private or public beliefs. Not even remotely.

But I do think that he shouldn't lose his job for having those beliefs.

Nobody is stopping him from having his beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I 100% believe that the majority don't give a shyte about his private beliefs. The minority disagree with it and here we are.

if he kept them as his private beliefs this thread would not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

If you're a public figure and your views are antagonistic to other employees or supporters/customers then yes, absolutely.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Your employer should not interfere with your religious beliefs.

Your religious beliefs should not interfere with your employer.

His employer doesn't care what beliefs he has and haven't stopped him having them. What they have done is stopped his beliefs from being promoted using their brand and platform.

He is now free to go and spout whatever he likes wherever he likes, the employer is now free to say he's nothing to do with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

if he kept them as his private beliefs this thread would not exist.

As far as I know he has never forced anyone to follow him on Twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

My employer doesn't give a f**k what I believe once I keep it to myself and doesn't reflect negatively on them.

As far as I know he has never forced anyone to follow him on Twitter.

He aired them publicly despite being previously warned by his employer not to do this so **** him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,291 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Again nothing but pure misrepresentation of reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Being a celebrity under contract is different to working the counter at TK MAXX

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Funny that...it actually says."God made them in His image, male and female."

If you're going to try back up your position with a Bible verse, at least get it right.

Well actually it doesn't say either because the oldest version you can find of that or any other bible verse will not be written in English.

robinph wrote: »
    Your employer should not interfere with your religious beliefs.

Your religious beliefs should not interfere with your employer.

His employer doesn't care what beliefs he has and haven't stopped him having them. What they have done is stopped his beliefs from being promoted using their brand and platform.

He is now free to go and spout whatever he likes wherever he likes, the employer is now free to say he's nothing to do with them.

I'm not so sure that's what they've done at all.

He didn't say Rugby Australia say gays are going to hell, or whatever club it is he plays for, he said it in a private capacity. "I" believe - not "we" endorse.

As I've said it all depends on his contract - if he has agreed to not say things like this and agreed to be subject to whatever sanction if he does - then so be it, that's the contract he signed. Boo hoo, bounce on.

But apart from that, your job doesn't get to tell you what to do, think, say etc outside of work - they just don't.

They are your employer, not your owner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I 100% believe that the majority don't give a shyte about his private beliefs. The minority disagree with it and here we are.

So the majority agree with his bullshįt?

They did not interfere in his religous belief unless his religous belief is to proselytize.

In which case he would be better suited to a career as a preacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭cgcsb

The world of celebrity is different, it's all about image.

He didn't say Rugby Australia say gays are going to hell, or whatever club it is he plays for, he said it in a private capacity. "I" believe - not "we" endorse.

As I've said it all depends on his contract - if he has agreed to not say things like this and agreed to be subject to whatever sanction if he does - then so be it, that's the contract he signed. Boo hoo, bounce on.

But apart from that, your job doesn't get to tell you what to do, think, say etc outside of work - they just don't.

Indeed and his employer has moved to distance themselves from his beliefs.
    however he was probaly under a code of conduct with his employer which probably included a bar on uttering anything that can be construed as hate speech.

• Advertisement

He aired them publicly despite being previously warned by his employer not to do this so **** him.

How many people thank god when they win something?? It's double standards.

cgcsb wrote: »
    Being a celebrity under contract is different to working the counter at TK MAXX

That's my point.

It depends on his contract. There is no god given right for any employer to sack employees because they don't like their religious views.

There are actually laws in place in most western countries which explicitly forbid that.

So the majority agree with his bullshįt?

I 100% believe that the majority don't give a shyte

I'll try again. :rolleyes:

How many people thank god when they win something?? It's double standards.

Thanking god is not the same as saying my God says this group of people (who might make up a portion of my clubs fanbase or family of said fanbase) are evil and going to hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I 100% believe that the majority don't give a shyte

I'll try again. :rolleyes:

And the minority give a shít?
    My bad, thought you meant the majority agree with him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You are trying to compare a regular member of the public to a public figure. As a public figure then everything he does and says is considered to be representative of his employer.

If you go and shout about your religious view on the street then that is entirely up to you and not really anything to do with your employer. If however you are shouting about those view on the street whilst still wearing your employers brand on your work uniform then they would be quite entitled to tell you to stop, and if you persist to then sack you.

As a public figure he is always representing the brand of rugby Australia. They told him to stop, he didn't, they said bye then.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The law takes precedence over any hate speech.

Thanking god is not the same as saying my God says this group of people (who might make up a portion of my clubs fanbase or family of said fanbase) are evil and going to hell.

What about Katie Taylor saying god helped her beat her opponent?? Does god prefer Katie? Is Katies opponent lesser in the eyes of god??

Some egg chaser said an imaginary person is sending some people to an imaginary place and the minority militant LGBTQRSQ+++DDWCDCA+++==++ lobby are out in force to try to get him sacked.

What about Katie Taylor saying god helped her beat her opponent?? Does god prefer Katie? Is Katies opponent lesser in the eyes of god??

Some egg chaser said an imaginary person is sending some people to an imaginary place and the minority militant LGBTQRSQ+++DDWCDCA+++==++ lobby are out in force to try to get him sacked.

Nobody is out in force to get him sacked. He has already been sacked.

• Advertisement

There is no god so its preference should be of no consideration.

Firstly Katie is not employed by a sporting body. As boxer she is an independant entity so probably not governed by a corporate or private bodies code of conduct (excluding whatever boxing federation codes of conduct exist.)

Secondly where in her saying a god helped her has she used hate speech against another group of people?

They are not the same thing.

Advertisement