Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭elperello

WHo was it?

The answer to your question was the reason he was on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

elperello wrote: »
    The answer to your question was the reason he was on the radio.

Oh right, I won't even try to go there so.....

And I'v an Irish name myself that's occasionally mangled.

He has a problem with the health service. Thank you I will place it with the rest and we'll get to it in order of priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

He started out quietly and reasoned and ended up nearly in full rant mode.

His points were valid throughout though (imagine if they said that they couldn't manage a ç in France for example), until right at the end when he started comparing it to the HPV issues or something.

Good point - wrong spokesperson.

dulpit wrote: »
    His points were valid throughout though (imagine if they said that they couldn't manage a ç in France for example), until right at the end when he started comparing it to the HPV issues or something.

Good point - wrong spokesperson.

They spend years in school teaching Irish and then refuse to use the proper version of Irish names in a public service.

You are right the French wouldn't stand for it but then they are at this Republic thing a lot longer than us.

I'd cut him a bit of slack.
    He is not a spokesman just an individual fighting the system and also cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

There is one common denominator in all the "scandals" of recent years and that is power being entirely abdicated to one individual and board members who see their position as purely rubber stamping. If board members took their position seriously we would not be continually allowing these "personal fiefdoms" to be established & consolidated ... but then I guess board members are all from the same social circle or "gene pool"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

RTE absent without leave again this morning. Umar Al-Qadri obviously decided that the best approach for the Muslims was to be seen to be taking a hard line on Lisa Smith, so as to distance Muslims from the fact that the group of butchers that Lisa Smith joined are associated with his own faith.

"It's important that we do look after our own people, it's important that we do bring Lisa Smith back, but Lisa is not an ordinary citizen, Lisa is a citizen that has chosen to leave Ireland to join a group that undermines everything that our society stands for, that undermines democracy, religious freedom, pluralism, inclusivity, tolerance"

Now, if somebody from the Catholic Church had made this sanctimonious self righteous statement, a smug RTE presenter would have retorted with "well what about how your religion has treated women and homosexuals in the past". But as usual, a free pass for the Muslims. One of the Muslim teachers told Ray D'Arcy ON THE SAME F**KING RADIO STATION that being gay is a sin - why was this not put to the inclusive Mr Al-Qadri. One rule for one, one rule for the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Umar Al-Qadri obviously decided that the best approach for the Muslims was to be seen to be taking a hard line on Lisa Smith
    So you know for a fact that this is not what Umar Al-Qadri thinks, but that he says what he says "to be seen to be taking a hard line"? Tell us - how do you know that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭Ahwell

RTE absent without leave again this morning. Umar Al-Qadri obviously decided that the best approach for the Muslims was to be seen to be taking a hard line on Lisa Smith,

You are moaning because he took a "hard line" and would also have moaned if he hadn't. You just like to moan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

i thought overall Umar Al-Qadrai gave a good take on things - certainly better and a harder line than some talking on this and other RTE programs.
    Glad to hear him more as the voice of Islam in Ireland rather than the somewhat shady characters from another large mosque in Dublin.
    Also, Seans take on the fact that we can't apply a law that would retrospectively prosecute Lisa Smith for joining ISIS - is that right? I've never heard a statement like that in relation to anyone who is/was a member of the IRA.

Diceicle wrote: »
    Also, Seans take on the fact that we can't apply a law that would retrospectively prosecute Lisa Smith for joining ISIS - is that right? I've never heard a statement like that in relation to anyone who is/was a member of the IRA.
    Retrospective legislation would be unconstitutional.

I'm surprised membership of ISIS/ ISIL isn't already illegal, if it isn't.

• Advertisement

Ahwell wrote: »
    You are moaning because he took a "hard line" and would also have moaned if he hadn't. You just like to moan.

The lack of honesty in the media gets to me. But yep I do like to moan. And I do blame myself for turning on the damned radio in the first place. I should know what to expect at this stage. :(

The lack of honesty in the media gets to me. But yep I do like to moan. And I do blame myself for turning on the damned radio in the first place. I should know what to expect at this stage. :(

Refreshing honesty from yourself even if you accuse the media of lacking same.
    You have put your finger on it really.
    Though you probably need to turn the dial and try other stations before you give up on the medium altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Retrospective legislation would be unconstitutional.
    Well, it all depends on who benefits from such retrospectivity!
    https://thestory.ie/2010/02/07/the-closure-of-one-mans-tax-relief/
    Section 4 of the Finance Bill, published last week, ends the benefit-in-kind tax exemption on employer- provided art objects introduced by [Bertie] Ahern, as a late amendment to the 1994 Finance Act, despite opposition from the Department of Finance and the Revenue Commissioners.

This tax exemption became a major issue over a decade ago when the Sunday Tribune revealed the measure had benefited businessman Ken Rohan and that it was applied retrospectively for the previous 12 years, effectively neutralising any efforts to pursue Rohan for back taxes.
    I'm surprised membership of ISIS/ ISIL isn't already illegal, if it isn't.
    Apparently there is some EU law/directive etc on it but we have sat on it here and not implemented it into our laws :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

RTE absent without leave again this morning. Umar Al-Qadri obviously decided that the best approach for the Muslims was to be seen to be taking a hard line on Lisa Smith, so as to distance Muslims from the fact that the group of butchers that Lisa Smith joined are associated with his own faith.

"It's important that we do look after our own people, it's important that we do bring Lisa Smith back, but Lisa is not an ordinary citizen, Lisa is a citizen that has chosen to leave Ireland to join a group that undermines everything that our society stands for, that undermines democracy, religious freedom, pluralism, inclusivity, tolerance"

Now, if somebody from the Catholic Church had made this sanctimonious self righteous statement, a smug RTE presenter would have retorted with "well what about how your religion has treated women and homosexuals in the past". But as usual, a free pass for the Muslims. One of the Muslim teachers told Ray D'Arcy ON THE SAME F**KING RADIO STATION that being gay is a sin - why was this not put to the inclusive Mr Al-Qadri. One rule for one, one rule for the other.
    I think Al Qadri comes from the much more moderate, side of Islam. The other prominent Imam, is the lad from Clonskeagh, cant remember his name, he's the one who was big on blasphemy and wanted a form of sharia law in Ireland. Didnt he tell Niall Boylan one day, that there were no gay muslims, in Ireland, FACT

jay0109 wrote: »
    Well, it all depends on who benefits from such retrospectivity!
    https://thestory.ie/2010/02/07/the-closure-of-one-mans-tax-relief/
    That's true Jay, I should have been clearer - an attempt to create a new crime (joining ISIL) with retrospective effect, would be unconstitutional.

I think Al Qadri comes from the much more moderate, side of Islam. The other prominent Imam, is the lad from Clonskeagh, cant remember his name, he's the one who was big on blasphemy and wanted a form of sharia law in Ireland. Didnt he tell Niall Boylan one day, that there were no gay muslims, in Ireland, FACT
    There definitely appears to be some conflict between the two communities, some of which may be geographic.

One of my sisters is married to a (lapsed, perhaps even anti-) Muslim from the Gulf, and all his friends go to Clonskeagh for prayers, whilst North Africans and South Asians seem to favour South Circular Road.

We sometimes forget how non-united the so-called Ummah are. There is enormous division not just between Shias and Sunnis, but between different regions of the Islamic world - much more than a lot of MUslims like to admit.

Just tuned in.

What the Hell is the point of this segment with Manachán Magan, talking about places to visit where you might die?

Shut up shut up shut up. Cannot bear him.

Shut up shut up shut up. Cannot bear him.

Of all of the guests that would illicit such a response, I did not think that Manachán Magan would be that person.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Of all of the guests that would illicit such a response, I did not think that Manachán Magan would be that person.

I do, what does the tool do for an actual living?

In my opinion contributors like MM make the SO'R Show worth tuning in to.

• Advertisement

Good lad. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Uhmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Listening back on podcast, drink & drug drive testing section-6 month pregnant driver tested positive for cocaine ... desperate

Really?

I find him insufferable. I wouldn't ask the man for directions, let alone holiday tips. He has the air of a total incompetent. But different strokes, I'm glad someone likes his contributions.

Really?

I find him insufferable. I wouldn't ask the man for directions, let alone holiday tips. He has the air of a total incompetent. But different strokes, I'm glad someone likes his contributions.

Yes, really.

One of the things I like about radio is the way it brings diversity of opinions into my life. I get to hear different takes on subjects from people I might never meet in person. All while I am driving or working or just around the house.

When I am listening and an item comes on that I don't particularly enjoy I just get on with it and hope for something better in the next item.

As for MM, I think he is a bit of a national treasure.

Yes, really.

One of the things I like about radio is the way it brings diversity of opinions into my life. I get to hear different takes on subjects from people I might never meet in person. All while I am driving or working or just around the house.

When I am listening and an item comes on that I don't particularly enjoy I just get on with it and hope for something better in the next item.

As for MM, I think he is a bit of a national treasure.

Easy on the butter there, poster.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

"Europeans that matter" ... interesting turn of phrase from that guy. There was I thinking we were all equal. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Paddy seems to be going out of his way to drag down our reputation internationally.

What exactly do you want paddy?

I seriously doubt it's out of humanitarianism.

"exegretious tax" cool word paddy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Paddy seems to be going out of his way to drag down our reputation internationally.

Paddy the hypocrite seems to have a grudge to bare

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement