Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not enough panels?

Options
  • 16-04-2019 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭

Looking at a new build house and it would have a Solar + Photovoltaic similar to the image below. The estate agent hasn't been very knowlesgable, however I know the system is by Joule (by checking in the showhouse). Any idea if a system like this will be of any use or is it just there for show & boosting BER figures? I would like to be reasonably self sufficient, but an not convinced by the number of panels.

477905.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Looking at a new build house and it would have a Solar + Photovoltaic similar to the image below. The estate agent hasn't been very knowlesgable, however I know the system is by Joule (by checking in the showhouse). Any idea if a system like this will be of any use or is it just there for show & boosting BER figures? I would like to be reasonably self sufficient, but an not convinced by the number of panels.

477905.jpg

If it's a new build, the stats for the panels are available if the estate agent gets off his arse,
    But remember, the roofs aspect makes a big difference, (you'll almost never get the max figures quoted anyway), also you'll probably use most of your electricity first thing in the morning, when there's very little electricity coming from the panels,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The front of the house is south west. I'm strategically waiting to make myself a nuisance... not just yet. I have a list of questions that will push them to the limit, I just need to dot the t's and cross the i's first.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

More PV panels would be helpful. They are very cheap and it will barely cost extra labour to install 8 or 10 instead of 4. Even if you don't really need them now, it would be a good investment. Even if you're never at home during the day, in future you can add battery storage to the system or we might get a feed in tariff

However the problem is that you will need planning permission to install more than is already shown in that picture

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That photo is above the. OEM for normal
    New build Compliance install.

You have 4 panels and also 2 larger panels.
    If all Panels are even 300w each, that’s a 1.8kw system but there should be more from the larger panels?

Very hard to tell from the photos.
    Estate agent may not know exactly, try talk to someone on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I presumed the 2 larger panels are solar thermal and the 4 smaller panels are solar PV. The latter look like standard 1.65m*0.99m solar PV panels to me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement