Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,908 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I lived for a time just up the road in the Irish College... took about 15 mins to walk down to the Seine and Notre Dame. Touristy during the day but quiet, beautiful at night but..always iconic. Anyone else who has been there will be aware of the aura of the space and it being such a masterclass of architecture. It will be impossible to imagine the city without this magnificent building. Tragic, beyond sad seeing these pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

All right who thought it was a good idea to reenact Team America in Paris again eh?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

sugarman wrote: »
    Why would it take 200 years?

It was decimated in WWII, it was repeatedly bombed, shelled and set ablaze multiple times. Literally only the shell survived and it was repaired / rebuilt throughout the 50s.

Nonsense. Reims was destroyed in 1914, but rebuilt and is a marvel today. More impressive then Notre Dame in some ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

It was decimated in WWII, it was repeatedly bombed, shelled and set ablaze multiple times. Literally only the shell survived and it was repaired / rebuilt throughout the 50s.

You are thinking of somewhere else. Only very minor damage in WW2.

So sad to see this.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,728 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Art, heritage and history being destroyed tonight. So sad.
    I feel for the people of France, must be horrifying for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Far, far, far from the reality.

Paris escaped relatively easily during WWII.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,797 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's very sad, it's like watching a loved one vanishing into a gathering of ashes. It leaves a lump in the throat, a sense of madness and loss.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

What comes to mind, is those barbarians that destroyed our human heritage in Syria and Afghanistan. At least this was accidental.

Thankfully, no lives were lost, but the history preserved in wood, stone and glass has value. In a different way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Yes, the Nazi's did not have to fight to take it and it was not bombed by the allies during the war (afaik...).
    The Nazi military governor (whose name escapes me without googling it) in charge of it also went against Hitlers' orders and surrendered the city without putting up a fight. Presume he didn't want to be the man in charge of waging a pointless battle in Paris that would have resulted in lots of French civilians being killed + all that priceless human heritage being laid to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It doesn't matter if you believe or not, but this clip of Parisians singing the Hail Mary whilst ND burns in the background is just something else. Well I think so anyway. An homage to an iconic piece of Paris. Quite moving IMV.

https://twitter.com/gullyburrows93/status/1117874180802797569

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,908 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

eagle eye wrote: »
    Art, heritage and history being destroyed tonight. So sad.
    I feel for the people of France, must be horrifying for them.

Truth, for however we feel about it, as tourists, lovers of history, lovers of architecture and the city of Paris, it’s the French people and Parisians who will be feeling this most keenly. Its not just a tourist magnet, or place of historical significance...the whole area along the river and Notre Dame on the Île de la Cité is almost the heart of old Paris..nothing has changed there in the middle of the Seine, until now, gutted.

It has been a terrible few years for France. I know they are disconnected events, but what trauma to a nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Paris escaped severe damages in world war 2 due to the occupation by Hitlers forces

• Registered Users Posts: 35,797 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Looks like they'll save the structure, she won't fall!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

One of the fire fighters has been seriously injured.

Hopefully the iconic towers will stand.
    But a lot of the ancient heritage lied inside the cathedral.

No further major damage to the general structure expected according to a fire chief. The towers and remaining stone work will all stand. 3-4 more hours to put out the most of the fire though.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Can't even find out about salvaging attempts and firefighting efforts from mainstream sources without seeing a picture of Trump and his idiotic tweet staring back at me.

Talk about making a crap situation even worse. Clowns have their place in society, but not at times like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

One of the fire fighters has been seriously injured.

Brave brave men to risk their lives against such a fire Sky News said 400 firefighters wonder is that total true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

After seeing this breaking news earlier on, I felt physically sick at the sight. It felt similar to when Mostar Bridge was blown up!

My husband and I went to Paris for our first wedding anniversary 10 years ago and attended mass in Notre Dame on the day. I only pulled out the service leaflet a few weeks back which I kept as a keepsake from the visit.

It’s terribly sad and no doubt it will rise from the ashes again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

It doesn't matter if you believe or not, but this clip of Parisians singing the Hail Mary whilst ND burns in the background is just something else. Well I think so anyway. An homage to an iconic piece of Paris. Quite moving IMV.

Beautiful and haunting. You never think you would see a sight like this in Paris in your lifetime

Paris escaped severe damages in world war 2 due to the occupation by Hitlers forces

Apparently he wanted the gem, and was loathe to destroy it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

IMG-20190415-215917.jpg

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Apparently he wanted the gem, and was loathe to destroy it.

More so from the French govt leaving it and declaring it an open city.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

hairyslug wrote: »

It's actually not the worst idea. If the firefighters can't get to the flames as it is due to the height, why not try aerial attack? What's the worst that'll happen, the roof collapses under the weight?

It doesn't have to be a wild-fire style DC-10 drop, firefighting helicopters are not exactly uncommon. They can drop the water right where it is needed. Or, in the case of urban firefighting helicopters (for skyscrapers and the like), they are equipped with water cannon.
    IMG_4184.jpg

Since they recharge by dropping a hose into a nearby water body, and since Notre Dame is on the riverfront, such an aircraft could maintain quite an effective attack limited mainly by its fuel endurance.

Of course, I strongly doubt that the head of the Paris fire service need's Trump's peanut gallery advice. Though it does beg the question if he's not soon going to be looking for and airborne fire-fighting equipment catalogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

If the EU, who have spent all their time trying my last nerve lately, would like to do one thing that might put them back in my good graces, they could make it a European project to fund the full reconstruction of the cathedral.

They blather on about a 'European Identity', well they're watching it burn to the ground and they should restore this iconic piece of European heritage, otherwise Notre Dame will forever be a symbol of the decline of western civilization.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Censored11

I've no faith, but thats beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

There are reports that Notre Dame's three medieval rose windows, dating from around 1250, have exploded in the heat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

It was only a matter of time :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭thomil

The problem with that is the turbulence caused by the hot air rising from the fire. You'll often see aircraft & helicopters buck wildly as they drop water on wildfires, and a number of firefighting aircraft crash because of that every year. While that's tragic enough over some stretch of woodland, it is the last thing you want to happen when you're already dealing with a massive fire in an urban environment.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Advertisement