Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best kebab in dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Had my first Zaytoon after the upgrade and the chips were utter trash. Rock hard frozen dirt that were barely edible. Seems they have gone even cheaper on them (I always found them fine). They also put next to no sauce on the kebab so I had to go back up and ask for more as it tasted mostly of lettuce and diced cucumber. Heard the same report back from somebody else too. Maybe they've been told to cut down on the sauce for the good of our health :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

batman_oh wrote: »
    Had my first Zaytoon after the upgrade and the chips were utter trash. Rock hard frozen dirt that were barely edible. Seems they have gone even cheaper on them (I always found them fine). They also put next to no sauce on the kebab so I had to go back up and ask for more as it tasted mostly of lettuce and diced cucumber. Heard the same report back from somebody else too. Maybe they've been told to cut down on the sauce for the good of our health :pac:

I never get the chili sauce when there. Not a fan. The garlic is fine.

The chips have always been poor there I find. Frozen and mushy sort of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

I never get the chili sauce when there. Not a fan. The garlic is fine.

The chips have always been poor there I find. Frozen and mushy sort of.

I always stand with them as they're preparing the kebab as I like to customise it with more/less ingredients, usually more garlic sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

batman_oh wrote: »

Their chips before the refurbishment were tasty and freshm they're honestly hard to eat now and both times tasted like they were heated up in a microwave after laying there for hours.

We barely got any sauce too, which is why we had to buy extra garlic and chili sauce and both times we didn't get that long green chili like we used to.

Gone to the dogs in every aspect tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

MarkY91 wrote: »
    had to buy extra garlic and chili sauce

You shouldn't have to actually buy extra sauce. Just ask them as they're preparing it to squirt on more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Passenger wrote: »
    You shouldn't have to actually buy extra sauce. Just ask them as they're preparing it to squirt on more.

I've been told twice over the years in Zaytoon that I'd have to pay extra for more sauce as it was measured per kebab. I'm not joking. Once I laughed it off and didn't pay and another time I told him to stick it up his hole and walked out.

It's a nice kebab but I've always found the service to be unpleasant and unnecessarily curt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Had a mixed doner in Zaytoon Parliament street last week. The kebab was nice, chips were awful. I have a feeling they are oven cooked and/or now have a strange coating to them. Similar to Burger King fries. All in all too dry and crunchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

1. Passion4food - by far the best in the city. I've only eaten in the clanbrassil Street one but imagine the Camden Street one is same quality.

2 Pasha - on Dorset Street. Nearly as good as p4f but staff less friendly.

3. Kebab House - in phibsboro. Top quality kebab. The place itself is a bit shabby looking compared to others though so eating there is not as good.

4. Zaytoon - very hit and miss. Can be great. Camden Street generally better than temple bar. Chips are oven cooked now though so are dirt.

5. Iskanders - only okay. They use real doner meat but the chips and drink that come with the meal are very poor. Staff are not friendly at all though.

Haven't eaten in falafel in temple bar but have heard good things.

Altoon in Dundrum used to be good but I think they've stopped using proper doner and are using that grey mass produced mystery meat that most places use now.

Zaytoon was never that good. Maybe ok for Dublin but that's not a standard to aspire to.

And the tasteless accompanying chips always let them down even further as others have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Had a mixed doner in Zaytoon Parliament street last week. The kebab was nice, chips were awful. I have a feeling they are oven cooked and/or now have a strange coating to them. Similar to Burger King fries. All in all too dry and crunchy.

Is it that they can’t be bothered having proper deep fried chips or what?

The chips they use are not a patch on ordinary fried chips.

The seasoning they dust over them should be optional as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Have always been a big fan of zaytoon but had a pretty mingling chicken sheesh last night.

Should have stuck with the lamb

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

humberklog wrote: »
    I've been told twice over the years in Zaytoon that I'd have to pay extra for more sauce as it was measured per kebab. I'm not joking. Once I laughed it off and didn't pay and another time I told him to stick it up his hole and walked out.

It's a nice kebab but I've always found the service to be unpleasant and unnecessarily curt.

I couldn't agree with this more, I had the same thing with the sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Had a mixed grill from the Falafel place in Temple Bar the other week

Thought id died and gone to heaven

Delish

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Zatoon my arse it's gone too sh#t new decor and new staff, guy at the till f$cked up our order wanted a lamb doner and a drink but ended up drinking a coke lookin at my friends eating their food .couldn't be arsed ordering again and have them looking a me eating and having to wait. you had one fu$king job you fu#king moron.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

glasso wrote: »
    Zaytoon was never that good. Maybe ok for Dublin but that's not a standard to aspire to.

And the tasteless accompanying chips always let them down even further as others have said.

What country/city would be known for doing better?

Just from the top of my head i've tried Belgium, Holland, Germany, Britain, France, Morocco, Jordan, Czech and probably a few I've left out and they're pretty much to the same (or less) in standard as Dublin. It's only cheap meat in bread after all. The freshness of the salad, the standard of bread and quality of the sauces are important to make it a good kebab imo
    2 exceptions would be Israel and The Leb but that's only going by a handful of exceptional outlets in those countries.

But that's just my experience.

Just from the top of my head i've tried Belgium, Holland, Germany, Britain, France, Morocco, Jordan, Czech and probably a few I've left out and they're pretty much to the same (or less) in standard as Dublin. It's only cheap meat in bread after all. The freshness of the salad, the standard of bread and quality of the sauces are important to make it a good kebab imo
    2 exceptions would be Israel and The Leb but that's only going by a handful of exceptional outlets in those countries.

Absolutely but the pride someone takes in the quality of what they do can enhance the experience of the person eating as is in this situation the food being served . Iv had a kebab in the bogazichi in streatham hill that was unbelievable , it may not have been the best but the guy making it had such pride in his food/recipe/secret ingredients that it elevated the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,030 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Is there anywhere in dublin that a german style doner kebap can be got? Something like this -

image.jpg

retalivity wrote: »
    Is there anywhere in dublin that a german style doner kebap can be got? Something like this -

image.jpg

Or a Berlin style falafel like you get in the kiosks

Someone recommended Falafel in temple bar so I gave it a go today.

It was delicious. Most enjoyable kebab I had in a long time. The chips were great too. I cannot wait to go back.

However..at €15 for a kebab meal, it's quite expensive. Hard to justify spending €15oj a kebab meal no matter how tasty it is considering there is loads of options that will satisfy me close by.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Someone recommended Falafel in temple bar so I gave it a go today.

It was delicious. Most enjoyable kebab I had in a long time. The chips were great too. I cannot wait to go back.

However..at €15 for a kebab meal, it's quite expensive. Hard to justify spending €15oj a kebab meal no matter how tasty it is considering there is loads of options that will satisfy me close by.

Was that for a doner or shish kebab? Cause I'd argue it isn't outrageously expensive for a shish, especially if the meat is good, the bread is out of the oven, and the salad fresh. Good chips are an added bonus. Like a Big Mac meal is nearly €9, and you're hungry again 2 hours later.

• Advertisement

Was that for a doner or shish kebab? Cause I'd argue it isn't outrageously expensive for a shish, especially if the meat is good, the bread is out of the oven, and the salad fresh. Good chips are an added bonus. Like a Big Mac meal is nearly €9, and you're hungry again 2 hours later.

Doner. But I can be satisfied a minute down the road in zaytoon for almost a fiver less(with discount card)

Im not sure what the difference is with doner or sheesh. For this reason, I always choose donor instead of trying new things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Doner. But I can be satisfied a minute down the road in zaytoon for almost a fiver less(with discount card)

Im not sure what the difference is with doner or sheesh. For this reason, I always choose donor instead of trying new things.

Shish is done on a skewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

For my vote it's got to be Passion 4 Food on both Clanbrassil st (the original) and Wexford street.

They do amazing lamb or chicken shish, they do amazing lamb / chicken / mixed donner, they make the bread fresh.

Even better are the specials: the charcoal chicken (half grilled chicken) with bread, veg + sauce is amazing, as are the lamb ribs (they're really just chops).

Amazing charcoal grilled wings as well.

I used to love Zaytoon, but compared to Passion 4 food they are awful. I wouldn't even consider it now, passion every time, even if I have to walk a long distance for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I think Germany is far better than Dublin for kebabs. Berlin especially. Never bothered trying them anywhere else. I don't know what they do in Berlin, but they're really good

Got a mixed platter for 2 in passion 4 food for €21.

Jaysus, i almost laughed when they served us the crap portion of food. I easily could have eaten both meals. Even the gf finished hers and wasn't satisfied.

I'll be sticking with the kebab meals in future.

I know this is the Dublin thread but I'm off to London for the weekend. Staying in covent garden area. I'm looking to have the best kebab of my life there..a falafel in theme bar/passion4food type kebab.

Any suggestions guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Edgeware Road near Marble Arch, its the best spot in London for Middle Eastern food, theres stacks of restaurants along it. Though I wouldn't be going for a kebab, find a proper authentic Turkish or Lebanese restaurant along there and ask for the full mezze. Its a huge feast with stacks of small dishes, flatbreads, salad, meats, etc so make sure to arrive hungry.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Edgeware Road near Marble Arch, its the best spot in London for Middle Eastern food, theres stacks of restaurants along it. Though I wouldn't be going for a kebab, find a proper authentic Turkish or Lebanese restaurant along there and ask for the full mezze. Its a huge feast with stacks of small dishes, flatbreads, salad, meats, etc so make sure to arrive hungry.

Never had a mezze but as long as it has meat and breads then I'm in!

I'll look it up and definitely stop by along one of our daily itinerary routes. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Got a mixed platter for 2 in passion 4 food for €21.

Jaysus, i almost laughed when they served us the crap portion of food. I easily could have eaten both meals. Even the gf finished hers and wasn't satisfied.

I'll be sticking with the kebab meals in future.

Have you had the charcoal chicken in passion? It's a small enough half chicken, but I'm always completely full after that option, and I've quite an appetite.

Never got the mixed platter for 2 so far and likely won't after reading your post!

• Advertisement

jim o doom wrote: »
    Have you had the charcoal chicken in passion? It's a small enough half chicken, but I'm always completely full after that option, and I've quite an appetite.

Never got the mixed platter for 2 so far and likely won't after reading your post!

Nope, I usually end up getting the kebab as I know I'll like it and dislike change lol. The mix platter was lovely, I got to try the barg and some mother meats..I think the charcoal chicken might have been included too.

It was tasty, didn't make me feel like **** but it's definitely a tiny serving for €10.50 each considering I could get a huge kebab meal for little extra.

Maybe i just have a huge appetite.

Advertisement