Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken ps4 controller - anyone know where I can buy a new one on the cheap in the UK?

Options
  • 14-04-2019 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

My L3 button on my PS4 controller has given out so I'm looking to buy a new controller. Problem is they're traditionally quite pricey and I'm nearing my gaming budget for the month. Is it optimistic of me to hope I can get a brand new and unused genuine one for no more than £30? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

My PS4 pad's face buttons got mushy and became too sensitive because of it making it impossible to play the only games I use it for (DMC, Tekken). So I went to a local CEX and traded it in for an even more modern version of the pad. Just payed the difference in price which was €25 or so if I remember correctly. Couldn't be happier.

My L3 button on my PS4 controller has given out so I'm looking to buy a new controller. Problem is they're traditionally quite pricey and I'm nearing my gaming budget for the month. Is it optimistic of me to hope I can get a brand new and unused genuine one for no more than £30? :D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OFFICIAL-SONY-PS4-DUALSHOCK-4-WIRELESS-CONTROLLER-NEW-SEALED-UK-POST/401747145864?hash=item5d89fef488:g:NaoAAOSwCCpckiht

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OFFICIAL-SONY-PS4-DUALSHOCK-4-WIRELESS-CONTROLLER-NEW-SEALED-UK-POST/401747145864?hash=item5d89fef488:g:NaoAAOSwCCpckiht

Cool, never done a cex trade-in before. Will they accept my controller even though it has some wear and tear on the joysticks (skin is literally peeling off) and the L3 button is faulty?

only if they couldn't be arsed testing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Cool, never done a cex trade-in before. Will they accept my controller even though it has some wear and tear on the joysticks (skin is literally peeling off) and the L3 button is faulty?
    I guess it depends on the store/staff.

I got a really sound guy whom after I explained in detail what issue I was having with the pad (it made tekken and DMC completely unplayable for me), knew exactly what I was talking about and gave it a quick test and said it was fine for them to accept. I even returned the pad they initially traded to me because it had the same issue but I couldn't tell until I tried it at home. I traded that one in again and I didn't even need a receipt or anything.

That said, there was nothing visual different about my pad. If your sticks are peeling that's immediately visually identifiable, is something even the most casual players will notice/feel and might make them turn it down or heavily devalue it just because of it looking bad on shelves. There's really no harm in just trying though if there's any CEX near enough to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Yeah those Dualshocks for £27.90-ish are most likely cheap clones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

If you don't mind the cable, a new wired controller costs around €30 in Argos. I have my PS4 at my desk, so just just the wired one and can give the wireless to any visitor's on the couch. The only issue, if you could call it that, is that the wired one I have doesn't seem to turn the console on when you press the PlayStation button in the middle.

Advertisement