Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden Shed sheeting

Options
  • 13-04-2019 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

I was wondering what material to use for sheeting walls in a wooden shed. I had been thinking of 18mm plywood but the weight of the sheets could be an issue for me. Would 12mm plywood be ok, or is there a better solution?
    (I will be constructing the wall frame from 2x4 boards, with joists at each 18")
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

12 mm plywood would be fine, but put the 4 ✖ 2 at 400 mm or 16" centers, to match the size, of the sheets of ply. Before you build, check if the plywood is in 2.4 m or 8 ft sheets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Shiplap boards or feather edge boards would be the normal way. Put a membrane over the frame before putting feather edge boards on and they will probably be lighter than 12mm plywood.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tmccar

my3cents wrote: »
    Shiplap boards or feather edge boards would be the normal way. Put a membrane over the frame before putting feather edge boards on and they will probably be lighter than 12mm plywood.

I think I'll go with shiplap because it will give it a more "finished" look.

tmccar wrote: »
    I think I'll go with shiplap because it will give it a more "finished" look.

Don't forget to put a membrane (permeable if you can afford it) under the shiplap, it makes a massive difference and can't be done latter.

If you have the time screw the shiplap on (keep the screws away from the over lap at the bottom and only screw through the thick part of the shiplap). With screws you can make changes later a lot more easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tmccar

Don't forget to put a membrane (permeable if you can afford it) under the shiplap, it makes a massive difference and can't be done latter.

If you have the time screw the shiplap on (keep the screws away from the over lap at the bottom and only screw through the thick part of the shiplap). With screws you can make changes later a lot more easily.

Hmmm.. I was going to go with nails so they wouldn't be visible.
    Is the membrane mainly for waterproofing, and what thickness should I get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Idioteque

Why put a membrane in?

Idioteque wrote: »
    Why put a membrane in?

Because shiplap isn't totally waterproof and once it warps a bit and shrinks a good wind will blow the rain up underneath the overlaps.

Any of the membranes that go under roof tiles are fine breathable would be better but not totally necessary for a shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Because shiplap isn't totally waterproof and once it warps a bit and shrinks a good wind will blow the rain up underneath the overlaps.

Any of the membranes that go under roof tiles are fine breathable would be better but not totally necessary for a shed.

I'd membrane the whole thing, unless you are pretty good at replacing the "felt" on-time its going to crack and expose the wooden roof to water, probably on a wet, windy winters day. :(

Advertisement