Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Fruit and Veg

Options
  • 14-04-2019 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Is anybody else sick of the poor quality fruit and veg which is for sale in Lidl. I have found that on many occasions fruit and veg is not fit to eat when purchased and even if it is fit for immediate consumption it is gone off within a day. There's not much point in selling it cheaply if it can't be eaten.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

If it's gone off just bring it back and complain..ask for a refund. I find the fruit and veg a bit hit and miss, so I get it elsewhere..pay a bit more but it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

MJH17 wrote: »
    Is anybody else sick of the poor quality fruit and veg which is for sale in Lidl. I have found that on many occasions fruit and veg is not fit to eat when purchased and even if it is fit for immediate consumption it is gone off within a day. There's not much point in selling it cheaply if it can't be eaten.

I tend to check it before placing in my basket, also check the BB/use by dates

This complaint pops up every now and then, maybe I’m just lucky but have never had an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Odelay

vicwatson wrote: »
    I tend to check it before placing in my basket, also check the BB/use by dates

This complaint pops up every now and then, maybe I’m just lucky but have never had an issue.

I also never had an issue. Quality is as good, if not better than other retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I agree with other posters, I think Lidl has some of the best quality when it comes to fruit and veg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I find it very much depends on what Lidl you go to - some are 100% on top of stock rotation and storage and the quality is excellent, others will have a pretty messy-looking fruit and veg section with boxfuls of really old-looking stock mixed in randomly with much fresher produce. You can still usually find good stuff, but you have to be a lot more careful about picking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭conor2469

I disagree, I think lidl have great quality fruit and veg compared to other places

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I actually choose Lidl over other supermarkets when buying fruit and veg (being vegetarian, it makes up quite a bit of my weekly shopping list).
    Usually, their fruit and veg is perfectly ripe and great for eating straight away, whereas I find that in other supermarkets it's just not as ripe and ready. I wonder if people complaining about it are taking it home and leaving it for a week or so, as you would have to with fruit and veg bought elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Hate their carrots and have had some not very nice cabbage. Most everything else is fine.

Their so called cherry tomatoes are consistently good (but way bigger than cherry tomatoes).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I think, as another poster said, it depends on the store. Our local one can be hit and miss, often there is really fresh stuff there and it's grand but things that tend to go off easily can sometimes be already 'furry' on the shelf, e.g. picked up a punnet of strawberries yesterday to have a closer look and one of them was already mouldy. This is not a one-off thing, I've seen it with strawberries, raspberries and smaller citrus fruits like tangerines and mandarins. If one is gone off I just won't bother buying that item at all no matter how 'fresh' the rest of them might look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Its hit and miss...grapes just taste like water but I quite like the rest of their fruit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Quality of their fruit and veg is very hit & miss. I've found after opening a bag or packet at home that there's rotten stuff in it to many times. Ne ever had an issue with Tesco fruit and veg

• Registered Users Posts: 27,885 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

neris wrote: »
    Quality of their fruit and veg is very hit & miss. I've found after opening a bag or packet at home that there's rotten stuff in it to many times. Ne ever had an issue with Tesco fruit and veg

I'd note an exception for salads in Tesco (multiple shops on DNS) ... dunno how they are storing them but no wonder most of it ends up in their and customers bins.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

They're all coming from the same place lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think with all fruit and veg you have to be vigilant about checking it. I've had problems in all supermarkets before but its because I just threw it in the basket without inspecting it first.

Advertisement