Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speed vans - Impressive camouflage

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

rapul wrote: »
    A question as it was stated above, since the vans are independent of the gardai and can catch the gardai speeding aswell from what I've gathered, but my question surely no one but gardai can park in the spots on the dual carriageways or motorways? Sign says gardai only, gardai amhain

The spot I see the van on the M3 says "Authorised Vehicles only"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

McCrack wrote: »
    They are not magical apparitions

They are vans with very distinctive and reflective markings parked at the side of the road

If you keep your eye focused along and far down the left side of the road you will spot them well in advance

Not all reflective

They have white vans & red vans, the red vans that I've seen are unreflective but the white vans seem fine.

For the gaks on here (they may have other colours of van too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,137 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

They usually park on the sections marked For Garda/service vehicles only. Not uncommon to see the van on the M3 been Dunboyne and Clonee.

This wasn't the spot but it's an example.

https://goo.gl/maps/pYJEGDeBvGr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

You're one of those people that just is awkward. If I told you a colour is black you'd say it's grey. If I said it was dark grey you'd say it was black.

We know what the vans look like but as the poster said, they are well hidden and just appear within seconds. They are strategically very well placed to pull in as much cash as possible.

I can concur with what You say above. Just drive up northbound from the M7 past the ball onto the N7 and past the Johnstown Garden Centre. The speed limit is still 60kph, but I guess when people see the open road, it's foot to the floor, only as You pass the Garden Centre, there he is, no need for a camoflage, as He's hidden behind 2 poles. If You are over the limit, You have no chance, as he's waiting....and You only see him at the last possible moment.

FYI: Number of fines issued has just been updated to 6,572 ( according to the flashing signs )...That's one hell of a money maker.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I can concur with what You say above. Just drive up northbound from the M7 past the ball onto the N7 and past the Johnstown Garden Centre. The speed limit is still 60kph, but I guess when people see the open road, it's foot to the floor, only as You pass the Garden Centre, there he is, no need for a camoflage, as He's hidden behind 2 poles. If You are over the limit, You have no chance, as he's waiting....and You only see him at the last possible moment.

FYI: Number of fines issued has just been updated to 6,572 ( according to the flashing signs )...That's one hell of a money maker.

With all the signs and radio time that stretch of road has gotten, it's charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Perifect

I've camouflaged my car. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Drove on the N7 today, signs now saying 13,700, all I can say is fools and their money are easily parted. (That's over €1,000,000)

I'm hoping that the driver of a 12D white Peugeot van has picked up a few points, not content with the limit of 60km he performed some very dangerous tailgating and overtaking maneuvers while chatting on his handheld phone (just how hard is it to use bluetooth handsfree??)

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

Drove on the N7 today, signs now saying 13,700, all I can say is fools and their money are easily parted. (That's over €1,000,000)

I'm hoping that the driver of a 12D white Peugeot van has picked up a few points, not content with the limit of 60km he performed some very dangerous tailgating and overtaking maneuvers while chatting on his handheld phone (just how hard is it to use bluetooth handsfree??)

There's a lot of spas on the road that's for sure.

Have also seen them on the Garda only sections of the M1. Apparently (according to the thread that was on here at the time) they're allowed because although it's 'Garda Only', it also applies to vehicles directed or allowed by the Gardai to park there.

I do a lot of driving and I still maintain that Cavan is the speed-van capital of Ireland. I always see them in Cavan for some reason (I presume there's a depot there or something?). But i have seen some comical locations for them. My favourite one was on a 50km/h, steep downhill stretch, behind some trees and bushes. Thankfully i was approaching from the opposite direction, but it looked like it belonged in a parody video or something. Comical placement.

• Advertisement
Advertisement