Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Weight Loss Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Congratulations Penn, you look 10 years younger.
    Thargor wrote: »
    How much weight would you expect to gain from muscle gains if you took up a bit of running and free weights in the evenings that you hadn't been doing before? I had my weight down to 83kg and falling but it shot back up to 85 over the last two weeks and that's the only change I can think of...
    You wouldn't put on 2kg of muscle in 2 weeks anyway. If it is 2kg of muscle, tell me your secret :)

A chunk will likely be water if its definitely not diet. But sometimes people throw in running and weights and think they've burned a lot and eat more thinking they've come out neutral when they've eaten more than they've burned. Not saying this is you but it's definitely not uncommon.
    Thats disappeared again and normal service seems to have resumed so maybe it was water, creeping towards 82.x kg now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Ah that's phenomenal Penn, congrats on smashing into the 3-digit club! Congratulations! Incredible difference :)
    Penn wrote: »
    It's weird, I actually don't feel any fitter or healthier etc, and yet I know I am.

Ha! I hear ya. I read something the other day about weight loss and energy levels that stuck with me. That it's not like you gain an extra battery, or start running marathons, but having more energy increases *the likelihood of you doing something* - like doing the dishes more often, because before you started it was 100lbs easier to stay on the couch.

Anyway, are you doing anything to celebrate? New clothes or a meal or is it business as usual?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,330 ✭✭✭✭Penn

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Ah that's phenomenal Penn, congrats on smashing into the 3-digit club! Congratulations! Incredible difference :)

Ha! I hear ya. I read something the other day about weight loss and energy levels that stuck with me. That it's not like you gain an extra battery, or start running marathons, but having more energy increases *the likelihood of you doing something* - like doing the dishes more often, because before you started it was 100lbs easier to stay on the couch.

Anyway, are you doing anything to celebrate? New clothes or a meal or is it business as usual?

Cheers mate! Wasn't planning on doing anything special. Wasn't even going to acknowledge Pancake Tuesday, just belt on as normal as I'm too close to my end-goal so I'll save celebrations/treats for that.

That was the plan anyway. Unfortunately, since Monday morning I've been dosed with a cold, and nothing makes me hungrier than having a cold. So both Tuesday and last night, I had takeaway for dinner (relatively healthy options, but takeaways nonetheless) and have indulged in a few extra snacks than normal. So not really expecting any loss at all this week. Will be happy enough with a maintain. If I count this week as a write-off, I'll just consider that a reward/celebration for hitting the 100.

Just the 1lb this week. Train rolls on! Still battling a cold though but the hunger has subsided at least.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Cheers mate! Wasn't planning on doing anything special. Wasn't even going to acknowledge Pancake Tuesday, just belt on as normal as I'm too close to my end-goal so I'll save celebrations/treats for that.

Have you a plan for maintenance? I got myself to a really healthy weight a few years ago, took it for granted and put the weight back on over the next few years. This time I'm determined to learn from that and be constantly mindful. I've accidentally developed an absolute addiction to skating so as long as I stick to that I should be fine as it's amazing for fitness. Hopefully I should keep it up long term as skating is so much fun (and wearing wrist guards make me feel totally bad ass). It's great as it just feels like a lifestyle change rather than an exercise for weight loss/maintenance.

• Advertisement

iguana wrote: »
    Have you a plan for maintenance? I got myself to a really healthy weight a few years ago, took it for granted and put the weight back on over the next few years. This time I'm determined to learn from that and be constantly mindful. I've accidentally developed an absolute addiction to skating so as long as I stick to that I should be fine as it's amazing for fitness. Hopefully I should keep it up long term as skating is so much fun (and wearing wrist guards make me feel totally bad ass). It's great as it just feels like a lifestyle change rather than an exercise for weight loss/maintenance.

I'm planning on taking up running at the very least. Nothing too mad, just go for the c25k and then try do a few 5 or 10ks on an ongoing basis. Food wise, I'll relax on counting calories but will continue to weigh myself weekly. If I go over a certain threshold, back on the diet. I hope though that what I'm eating now basically won't change, maybe just the quantities of it, with bigger portions or non low-fat ingredients.

Definitely a danger of slipping off the wagon, but like your skating, I think if I can find something I like fitness-wise, it'll hopefully keep me in the right mindset. Something to continue to aim for to keep me from falling back into bad habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I'm thinking of trying calorie counting as a change/break from weight watchers for a bit. Thinking of starting at 1500 a day and adjusting as I go. Does it seem like a good idea?

_Godot_ wrote: »
    I'm thinking of trying calorie counting as a change/break from weight watchers for a bit. Thinking of starting at 1500 a day and adjusting as I go. Does it seem like a good idea?

Hey _Godot_,

Calorie counting can definitely be a good way to go alright, especially if you need a break from WW or if you're plateauing with it. In terms of how many calories you should be aiming for, that depends on your current weight and activity rate etc. Try this calculator. It'll tell you what your calorie intake should be if you want to lose 1lb or 2lb per week. Or if you download MyFitnessPal as a way of keeping track of your calories, when you set up your profile and say how much weight you want to lose, it'll calculate your required calories too. Both should be in or around the same figure, so either option is good.

Busy weekend including cinema and a birthday party, so didn't get weighing myself at all. Don't think I did any damage either way, maybe 1lb lost. Will leave it until next weekend though.

Forgot that it was a friend's birthday this weekend. Ended up going for pizza on Friday and beers Saturday night. From weighing myself this morning I seem to be up one pound from two weeks ago, but at the same time I don't entirely trust that because, to put it delicately, stuff has been going into my body but nothing has been coming out the other end for a few days.

Either way, I figure I have 5 weeks until what I originally set out as my end goal, and at worst I'm 6lb away from my goal, so time to give it one final big push (and I'm not just talking toilet-wise :D) and crush it for the last few weeks. Don't want to crawl over the finish line at the last second, want to be halfway round the victory lap.

Let's do this, folks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

Forgot that it was a friend's birthday this weekend. Ended up going for pizza on Friday and beers Saturday night. From weighing myself this morning I seem to be up one pound from two weeks ago, but at the same time I don't entirely trust that because, to put it delicately, stuff has been going into my body but nothing has been coming out the other end for a few days.

Either way, I figure I have 5 weeks until what I originally set out as my end goal, and at worst I'm 6lb away from my goal, so time to give it one final big push (and I'm not just talking toilet-wise :D) and crush it for the last few weeks. Don't want to crawl over the finish line at the last second, want to be halfway round the victory lap.

Let's do this, folks!

Do you even fibre bro?

mathie wrote: »
    Do you even fibre bro?

Hah, bowl of Bran Flakes every morning. Good start to the day. Guess I just wasn't getting much in my other meals for a few days.

Problem now solved though. I lost 3lb between yesterday morning's weigh-in and this morning :D

Last few weeks have been a bit all over the place in terms of weigh-ins, but by my calculations I lost 5lb over 3 weeks. Which brings me to 2lb away from my end goal. One good week will get me there, so I'm going to make this a good week.

1.5lb this week. Kinda realised I wouldn't truly hit my final goal this week as even losing 2lb would have left me about a little over my final goal as I tend to round to the nearest whole number, and 2lb would still have left me at 185.3lb. So I'm on 185.8lb this morning.

So no matter. Will hit the goal either during the week or next weekend. Still a few weeks left in the bank.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

1.5lb this week. Kinda realised I wouldn't truly hit my final goal this week as even losing 2lb would have left me about a little over my final goal as I tend to round to the nearest whole number, and 2lb would still have left me at 185.3lb. So I'm on 185.8lb this morning.

So no matter. Will hit the goal either during the week or next weekend. Still a few weeks left in the bank.

Absolutely savage work! That’s amazing! Well done mate you’ve worked your socks off you really deserve this!

I lost 3lb between yesterday morning's weigh-in and this morning :D

Loll, congrats mate! I'm sure you're happy to have things moving again!
    I lost 5lb over 3 weeks. Which brings me to 2lb away from my end goal.

And that was last week - That's fantastic mate, congrats! Must be Amazing to be that close! Also that your general size would be the same last week, right now and in 0.5lbs time. Wow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Started with a personal trainer this morning. Vomited twice :o

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Not a good sign that they pushed you that hard on your first day, if I'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Might be better to just get a trainer to write you a basic program, maybe fit in some classes and get a good level of general fitness under your belt before getting a drill instructor trainer following you around pushing you to your max.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I'd have the opposite opinion to others here -- great job, you were pushed to your limit! Sure it's a huge jump in physical exertion, and no day will be as bad as your first. You'll quickly adapt and boss it! Keep kicking ass :)

• Advertisement

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I'd have the opposite opinion to others here -- great job, you were pushed to your limit! Sure it's a huge jump in physical exertion, and no day will be as bad as your first. You'll quickly adapt and boss it! Keep kicking ass :)

It was within a class and he told me to take it handy a few times. i was the one who pushed too hard i think

• Registered Users Posts: 39,117 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

jaykhunter wrote:
    I'd have the opposite opinion to others here -- great job, you were pushed to your limit! Sure it's a huge jump in physical exertion, and no day will be as bad as your first. You'll quickly adapt and boss it! Keep kicking ass
    No lasting damage was done. But was pushing out an extra one or two hundred caps worth it if you can't train for the best 3 days?

Weight Loss Diary

2018 - June - 14.10
    2018 - July - 13.06
    2018 - August - 12.07
    2018 - September - 11.10
    2018 - October - 11.07
    2018 - November - 11.04
    2018 - December - 10.12
    2019 - January - 11.01
    2019 - February - 10.04
    2019 - March - 10.02
    2019 - April - 10.00

My goal is 9 and half stone I’m nearly there. I am 10 months on my diet so fair, can’t wait till next Saturday for treat day lol I’m gonna get Apache pizza that deal for the large pizza for €7.50 I’m only eating half of it and give the other half to my friend so will only cost me €3.25

Ignore December to January I gained weight aka Christmas you can’t escape it lol

Weight Loss Diary

2018 - June - 14.10
    2018 - July - 13.06
    2018 - August - 12.07
    2018 - September - 11.10
    2018 - October - 11.07
    2018 - November - 11.04
    2018 - December - 10.12
    2019 - January - 11.01
    2019 - February - 10.04
    2019 - March - 10.02
    2019 - April - 10.00

My goal is 9 and half stone I’m nearly there. I am 10 months on my diet so fair, can’t wait till next Saturday for treat day lol I’m gonna get Apache pizza that deal for the large pizza for €7.50 I’m only eating half of it and give the other half to my friend so will only cost me €3.25

Ignore December to January I gained weight aka Christmas you can’t escape it lol

Great stuff, tajd! Hell of a loss so far and finish line in sight! Enjoy the treat!

It's great that you're pushing it, but just make sure to take the trainer's advice and not push yourself too far. The risk of injury or even just resenting exercise if that's what the result is just won't be sustainable. Just over a week ago, I started the Couch25k. Week 1, Day 1, thought this would be easy. But I didn't stretch beforehand (thought the 5min warm-up walk would suffice) and when it told me to run I pushed myself too far. Got halfway through it and had to stop. Legs were absolutely killing me for the next few days. So on Sunday once I'd recovered, I started it again. Stretched properly, jogged at a reasonable pace (but recognising that it's getting used to running that's important, not distance or speed). Completed the whole thing and felt pretty good after (legs reasonably tired, but no pain or anything). Going out for the second session tonight.

If you go too hard too quickly, it's just less likely to be sustainable or enjoyable. Take your time and ease into it for the first while, don't let your trainer push you past the point you're comfortable with, and don't push yourself past where your trainer says you should go. Get used to it, and gradually build yourself up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It was within a class and he told me to take it handy a few times. i was the one who pushed too hard i think

That puts a different spin on it. Like Mellor said, killing yourself means you'll ultimately do less if you're dying for a couple of days after.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,215 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

2 months since I started using my fitness pal.
    1600 calorie goal
    Gone from 77kg to 71.7kg.
    I am 5 7 male, my aim is to get to 70kg
    I haven't been ridiculously strict, thankfully the dog keeps me busy and walking about 12k steps a day minimum.
    Dipping into this thread has been great much appreciated.

With two weeks to spare, I've hit the goal I set almost a year ago. 108lbs, which puts me just inside the normal BMI range (from being just under the morbidly obese range).

The journey doesn't end here, as there's definitely still fat there to lose and above all else have to concentrate on at least maintaining going forward, but at the very least the diet can soon be relaxed a fair bit and the pressure will be off. Not just yet though, as one final push towards the end of the month means I'll not only have exceeded my goal, but it could get me to 50kg (or possibly even 8st) lost in the year, either of which would be a nice round number to finish on.

But 108 was the number I've had ringing in my ears for almost a year, so that's the number I'm going to get tattooed on my arm. A reminder of not just what I've achieved, but also what I can never let myself need to try and achieve ever again.

Week 2 of the c25k also kicks in today. Got myself a new pair of runners (including an analysis done in elverys to make sure they're the right type), so looking forward to trying them out.

Thanks again for all your support folks over the last 12 months. It's genuinely meant a lot and has helped keep the fire lit to keep me going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Well done, causing short term body stress is proven to benefit the body in a number of ways. The first week or so will have that and you'll be stiffer than a board at times, but that eventually stops when your body adapts.

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Well done, causing short term body stress is proven to benefit the body in a number of ways. The first week or so will have that and you'll be stiffer than a board at times, but that eventually stops when your body adapts.

Have been 4 times now. Found today hard as i dont think i took on enough water yesterday.

Trainer also told me to up my calorie intake as i wasnt eating enough to give me strength

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 _Underscore_

I'm 5'8, male and currently weigh 80kg, which is unfortunately 3kg heavier than I was at Christmas, but I was 85kg last July.

I have a tendency to indulge when I have college exams, so hopefully posting here will make me somewhat accountable. [Even though it'll happen to some extent regardless of my efforts]

I'd like to get to 70kg and will start counting calories properly with MFP when exams end.

Advertisement