Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rewatching all seasons before Season 8 arrives...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

duploelabs wrote: »
    Worth taking a look at his audition reel, his change in demeanour is brilliant
    https://youtu.be/TIWX2fPx-5k

Yeah saw that a good while ago, brilliant. That particular scene was cut from the series too, which is weird as it was a good part of the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Try Alt Shift X

Just started watching the videos.

Exceptionally good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Please can you explain to me how the decimated Lannister army managed to take High Garden? I'm not being sarcastic here. I always thought the Tyrell's had a far superior army and grain store, which is why Tywin wanted to forge an allegiance with them. High Garden should have been able to withstand a siege. Was it just poor writing to move the plot along or did I miss something? It's always bugged me.

It was extremely poor writing, just a few episodes previously - they couldn't take the castle in the Riverlands without Edmure betraying the Blackfish. The Blackfish told Jaime they could hold out for 2 years and while Highgarden didn't have a river around all of it, they still had a lot more resources available.

The writing in season 7 was an embarrassment. The Winterfell plot was the worst in the shows history, just barely followed by the quest beyond the wall and all the f*ckery which that involved.

Euron Greyjoy had nothing and all of a sudden had the best fleet in Westeros in the space of a few episodes? Theon and Yara stole all his ships! I could go on for days about the character and writing inconsistencies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Bit late to the party but started into Season 1 again yesterday... prob gonna cram in 2-3 episodes per night... might fast forward through some of 'em.

I keep getting distracted with episodes of Love Death + Robots though ;)

At least I can watch all the intervening episodes while waiting for episodes 2 and 3 of Season 8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

chris_ie wrote: »
    Just starting to watch it now (first time). People had my head wrecked so thought I'd give it a go! ha. Might take a while though, only 2 episodes in! Just 65 to go....

Stick it out it gets gruesome but the character development as things go on is so rewarding. The shocks are mind blowing too, it's one hell of a ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Finished season six.

Much, much, MUCH better than season five, but not as good as the earlier seasons.

That said, Battle of the Bastards and The Winds of Winter are stunning TV. Miguel Sapochnik is an unbelievable director, especially when you consider parts of both episodes are absolutely ridiculous yet he still manages to make them work superbly. In fact both are full of the sort of poor writing and silly plot contrivances as season seven yet he still worked around that to make them both amazing!

And I agree with the poster above that the cut to Jon from the Tower of Joy scene is arguably the best in the entire show. The music and cinematography are goosebump inducing.

Not even bothered to watch season seven but I guess I will. maybe I'll skip Beyond the Wall, that episode was just the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Mokuba wrote: »
    Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Please can you explain to me how the decimated Lannister army managed to take High Garden? I'm not being sarcastic here. I always thought the Tyrell's had a far superior army and grain store, which is why Tywin wanted to forge an allegiance with them. High Garden should have been able to withstand a siege. Was it just poor writing to move the plot along or did I miss something? It's always bugged me.

It was extremely poor writing, just a few episodes previously - they couldn't take the castle in the Riverlands without Edmure betraying the Blackfish. The Blackfish told Jaime they could hold out for 2 years and while Highgarden didn't have a river around all of it, they still had a lot more resources available.

The writing in season 7 was an embarrassment. The Winterfell plot was the worst in the shows history, just barely followed by the quest beyond the wall and all the f*ckery which that involved.

Euron Greyjoy had nothing and all of a sudden had the best fleet in Westeros in the space of a few episodes? Theon and Yara stole all his ships! I could go on for days about the character and writing inconsistencies.

Just finished my run through ahead of S8. The plot holes and jumping around Westeros is hard to defend on a 2nd viewing. I think the first time around I was more forgiving as we were getting more of the story. This time around it was more jarring.

I'd nearly forgive them the plot holes if the dialogue in season 7 wasn't so terrible..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Trying this myself, on season five right now, the first half of that season was a drop in quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭nothing

I've just finished season 1 (had been rewatching earlier in the year but we only got 6 episodes in and my friend had to study, poor her). It's going to be a tight few days, but I'm off work with a viral infection so need something to keep me going. So so many things in season 1 have a completely different interpretation now! Loving it.

• Advertisement

Yeah Season 1 is great, I'm 75% through. I saw it all those years ago but completely forgot how good it is.

A lot of the subtext makes more sense now, having seen all the other scenes.

For example I know who Stanis is (they mention him a lot in Season 1)... also "the seed is strong" makes more sense now.

I reckon I'll re-watch Season 1 and Season 7 just before starting Season 8 as I think those are probably the 2 most relevant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Just onto season 7; after watching them all from the start over the last few months!

Noticed a few things that I had missed in the last couple of seasons that could be a factor in the big picture. But really love the show!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Watched the ludicrous Beyond the Wall last night. Great to see the dragons in action against the army of the dead but the suspension of disbelief required for Gendry's successful run to the wall and the travel time of Ravens is really stretching things to breaking point. The interactions between Sansa and Arya are a bit painful too.

One episode left in the re-watch before Season 8 starts on Monday :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

It's like they discovered teleportation lol. There is a map in this link which shows how many journeys Jon made after leaving Hardhome, compared to the progress made by the Knight King.

Jon vs the Knight King

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭golfball37

Sawduck wrote: »
    Trying this myself, on season five right now, the first half of that season was a drop in quality

The show suffered terribly when Lord Tywin left imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

Cina wrote: »
    Finished season six.

Much, much, MUCH better than season five, but not as good as the earlier seasons.

That said, Battle of the Bastards and The Winds of Winter are stunning TV. Miguel Sapochnik is an unbelievable director, especially when you consider parts of both episodes are absolutely ridiculous yet he still manages to make them work superbly. In fact both are full of the sort of poor writing and silly plot contrivances as season seven yet he still worked around that to make them both amazing!

And I agree with the poster above that the cut to Jon from the Tower of Joy scene is arguably the best in the entire show. The music and cinematography are goosebump inducing.

Not even bothered to watch season seven but I guess I will. maybe I'll skip Beyond the Wall, that episode was just the worst.

Rewatching 6 now, it's a lot better than I thought, obviously being carried by Ramsey and the battle of the bastards.

Likewise will watch 7, agree, a big drop, particularly the one beyond the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

golfball37 wrote: »
    The show suffered terribly when Lord Tywin left imo.

He was a class character,Charles Dance is awesome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Just finished watching them all myself. Really went off a cliff in season 5 and never recovered. So much time in S5&6 dedicated to irrelevant and boring story lines, along with some of the most cringe-inducing lines.

That being said, it's still an amazing show full of brilliant characters and great main plot. I can't wait for season 8 to see how it all ends up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

...along with some of the most cringe-inducing lines.

Given your username I would have thought you would have liked the "the baad pooosy" line? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,703 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Sawduck wrote: »
    He was a class character,Charles Dance is awesome

His introduction scene, particularly because he's butchering the Stark sigil, was fantastic

I couldn't sit through season 5 when I tried it again. The worst season by a mile. 7 is good but its no longer what I came to love about game of thrones. Its devolved to common action film marvel tropes. Taking of high garden. Eurons magic Fleet. Gendry's speed walking. Jamie surviving with Bronn. Red shirts dying beyond the wall. Jon being saved by his uncle. The entire plotline of bringing a Wight to cersai. Little finger's plot to turn Sansa and Arya against each other. There's probably more but it's weak on paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Finally finished season five, thank the gods. It's the only season that is more bad than good. The NW's stuff is good and Jamie's journey, everything else i could care less about(Dany, everything going on in KL) or is just badly done(Arya, Stannis, Sansa).
    His introduction scene, particularly because he's butchering the Stark sigil, was fantastic

Baratheon!

tumblr_plt73o7DUa1u034pso6_500.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,703 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

bur wrote: »
    Finally finished season five, thank the gods. It's the only season that is more bad than good. The NW's stuff is good and Jamie's journey, everything else i could care less about(Dany, everything going on in KL) or is just badly done(Arya, Stannis, Sansa).

Baratheon!

tumblr_plt73o7DUa1u034pso6_500.gif

Well at least I've a career as a greenseer ahead of me considering my sketchy sigil knowledge

question bothering me about season 2... how did Stannis know about Joffrey's parentage? I dont recall seeing Ned sending out a raven?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

mrcheez wrote: »
    question bothering me about season 2... how did Stannis know about Joffrey's parentage? I dont recall seeing Ned sending out a raven?

a little bird told him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

They didn't show it but Stannis says something like 'when Ned Stark found out he told only me, i won't make that same mistake' before sending ravens to all the lords in Westeros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

As far as I remember Ned gave a command in season 1 to get word to Stannis when he found out. How he got word there I don't think was specified.

Right, I might have missed it. In the book I understand a raven was sent out, but in the series I thought only Little finger and the Queen were told before Ned was killed off.

Thought maybe implication is Little finger sent word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭nothing

Right, I might have missed it. In the book I understand a raven was sent out, but in the series I thought only Little finger and the Queen were told before Ned was killed off.

Thought maybe implication is Little finger sent word.

Didn't he give a letter to one of his men and tell him to give it to stannis, not his guards or his maester, to stannis only?

nothing wrote: »
    Didn't he give a letter to one of his men and tell him to give it to stannis, not his guards or his maester, to stannis only?

Ah yes you're right! Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Just finished season 7 last night, is there any specific episodes that would be good to watch tonight before season 8 premier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Tick tock lads and lassies.... We have arrived...
    Its been fun awaiting this...

I hope you all enjoy this season.. We know its gonna be a bloodbath...

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Just finished season 7 last night, is there any specific episodes that would be good to watch tonight before season 8 premier?

Rewatching Season one was best for me in terms of reclarifying how all the families are related and what's at stake for each so perhaps pick a few from that

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Recliner

Did a marathon rewatch yesterday, had half season 6 and all season 7 to get through. Exhausted today, but glad I did. I must have missed some of S7, some parts I didn't remember at all.
    Can't wait for 2.00am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I have 4 episodes of season 7 left to watch, going to get cracking on that later on

I've caught up a lot, but not everything. I'm going to watch the other seasons in the days between the releases of Season 8.

Have to have something to watch in the 6 days between each episode ;)

Been watching best of character videos on YouTube the past 2 hours good stuff especially Littlefinger

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

I have never watched Game of Thrones, thinking of starting it tomorow. Finished Sopranos . Whats its like ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

wadacrack wrote: »
    I have never watched Game of Thrones, thinking of starting it tomorow. Finished Sopranos . Whats its like ?

Violence,incest and dragons! What more could you want from a TV show

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Violence,incest and dragons! What more could you want from a TV show

Hopefully not too much of that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

If you're okay with not being fully clued in, and are someone who prefers moments rather than seeing character development, then watch a youtube recap of each season before starting season 8

If you are one for watching characters and the world itself develop, and have the time to watch ~60 hours of content over the next few weeks before it ends then do that

I don't think you'd enjoy it going in blind with season 8, far too much will be going on for you to enjoy or follow

I started watching it about 2 years ago and had seasons 1-6 available to binge. It was probably the best few weeks I've had in TV watching as I didn't have to wait a week between each episode.

I didn't go in expecting much, but got hooked pretty quickly and ended up watching about 3 episodes a night consecutively.

Season 7 was agonising as I had to wait a week between each episode.

Probably a good idea to do the same before watching season 8, but you'll have to avoid your workmates casually saying what happened in season 8, and then by the time you've cleared off seasons 1-7 you'll have several episodes of season 8 ready to binge on.

Incidentally, I haven't seen a single Sopranos episode so I've got that to look forward to :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Far more violent version of Lord of the Rings in many ways. Drags at times but Season 1-5 is mostly great and includes maybe half a dozen of the greatest scenes ever aired on tv. Season 6-7 not so much due to fact showrunners have no original content to go off and start completely destroying the logic of the world created in first 5 seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Beyond excited for this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Just finishing last episode on the catch up on sky Atlantic and I know i’m Going to stay up to watch tonight’s episode even though nothing will happen in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Only 6 episodes so something will happen surely.

I caved I'm on the last two episodes of 7. The hound is the greatest character of the whole series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

I'm doing the same, almost finished season 2 again! It's well worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Finished the rewatch and few things
    *Apart from Daeny and Sansa/Ayra presumably wanting Jamie's head, important to remember The Karstarks will also want justice for Jamie killing Torheen Karstark in Season 2
    *Howlan Reed (Meeras father) was at Tower of Joy - he may have to be the one to confirm Jon's birth- be good to see him and good excuse to see Meera again in the show
    *In the citadel a throwaway remark by one of the Masters was about "A Drowned God will rise up and destroy Aegon the Conqueror" - so don't be surprised if Euron ends up killing one of Jon or Daeny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

wp_rathead wrote: »
    *In the citadel a throwaway remark by one of the Masters was about "A Drowned God will rise up and destroy Aegon the Conqueror" - so don't be surprised if Euron ends up killing one of Jon or Daeny

Or Theon could kill Dani if she threatens Sansa.

Advertisement