Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rewatching all seasons before Season 8 arrives...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RickBlaine

I'm rewatching too. Definitely helps to watch more during weekends than on weekdays.

I'm on season 6. Since the end of season 4, I get the sense that there is a lot of giving certain characters random stories so that other plots can continue. I think Dany (and by extension Tyrion) and Arya fall into this a lot. The main trust of season 6 is basically to get the characters in place for the Battle of the Basterds and Cercei's revenge. Dany is stuck with a stupid retrograde story about the dothraki, Tyrion's talents are wasted on Essos slavery politics, and Arya's blindness plot all just seems to be killing time. Ser Jorah kidnapping Tyrion and then both getting kidnapped by slavers in season 5 is another example of killing time. Unlike seasons 1-4 where everything seemed to be for a purpose and propelling the narrative.

I haven't read the books so I can't comment on those, but given a lot of the later seasons were original material, I think seasons 5 and 6 probably could have been condensed into a single season. No reason why Arya couldn't do her training in one season and Dany get ready from Mareen to move to Westeros in a single season too.

Still enjoying the rewatch a lot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Watched Season 1 Episode 1 last night....

why oh why Ed Sheeran... a talking/singing part... brings you right back to reality...

He should have been sitting in a square busking as some character of importance walks by.

Finished it the other day..

Good God, the dialog took a nose dive when they went off the book..
    Season 6 wasn't great..Season 7 went to the dogs altogether..

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CiaranW

Finished it the other day..

Good God, the dialog took a nose dive when they went off the book..
    Season 6 wasn't great..Season 7 went to the dogs altogether..

Season 5 was the worst to me. Just a depressing dark season.
    But I mostly agree with you.
    Season 7 has excellent set pieces and good action. Only finished season 7 episode 1 last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

CiaranW wrote: »
    Season 5 was the worst to me. Just a depressing dark season.
    But I mostly agree with you.
    Season 7 has excellent set pieces and good action. Only finished season 7 episode 1 last night.

Yeah I'm surprised to see so many pointing to season 6 as the start of the decline in quality, I'm midway through series 6 of the epic rewatch and for me its a marked step up in quality from season 5.

• Advertisement

It's specifically the dialogue I'm talking about in season 6&7 as well though, and maybe the acting a bit..Khaleesi's acting especially..
    It's like they asked a couple of teenage girls to write it..all 'ooohh, do you fancy him' etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Yeah I'm surprised to see so many pointing to season 6 as the start of the decline in quality, I'm midway through series 6 of the epic rewatch and for me its a marked step up in quality from season 5.

I agree that S6 was respectable, the culmination in Battle of the Bastards was fine TV.

In my previous point, every point I mention S6 I actually meant S7, just got mixed up as to where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Tormund and Jaime really shine on a rewatch, as does The Hound.
    Forgot how fantastic Ciaran Hinds was too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

On Episode 2 of Season 7 in the re-watch. Season 6 was far more enjoyable than Season 5 (despite Arya's parkour silliness). Enjoying rewatching 7 and actively trying to ration the episodes now over the next 3 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Just finishing season five now.

It's easily the worst in the show, in fact watching them all back to back for the first time really shows the stark contrast in quality between it and the first four seasons. I do recall enjoying season six more on first watch so hopefully it's better than this dull rewatch of five has been. Even this missus, who is watching GoT for the first time and has been loving it, has commented as to how poor season five is compared to the earlier ones.

Especially that damn High Sparrow plot, ugh.

Still, I will say one thing, Hardhome is amazing, and one of the best battle scenes ever, let alone on a TV show. Don't think it was eclipsed by the battles in the next two series either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CiaranW

Cina wrote:
    It's easily the worst in the show, in fact watching them all back to back for the first time really shows the stark contrast in quality between it and the first four seasons. I do recall enjoying season six more on first watch so hopefully it's better than this dull rewatch of five has been. Even this missus, who is watching GoT for the first time and has been loving it, has commented as to how poor season five is compared to the earlier ones.

Season 6 is really good. Much better than season 5.
    I think the Battle of the Bastards is probably my favourite episode in the entire series. As Daenerys is on the other side with the dragons.

Re-watched S07E03 last night "The Queen's Justice". The pace really accelerates to a break-neck speed in this season and, while it's still enjoyable, I still think reducing this season to 7 episodes was a mistake: there's so much happening that would have benefited from having a little more meat on it's bones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I do this every year. I watch too much GOT... O.o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

....... wrote: »
    Their chemistry is so good.

And for Arya, the character she is playing is within her reach, its believable.

Later when she is supposed to be a cold blooded sinister assassin it just doesnt work as well (imo) and comes off a bit hammy.
    Arya was fantastic with Tywin and the Hound. When she came back to Winterfell I wanted to slap her. She was so cocky and arrogant. Plus the way her and Sansa outwitted Littlefinger played out really badly. LF was the smartest man in Westoros and I don't think he would have been fooled that easily.

flazio wrote: »
    I wonder just how much did Sean Bean know about the truth of Jon Snow's origins when acting out the scene where he and Robert discuss the mother or when he says goodbye to Jon as the latter heads to the wall. I get a sense of a man holding back big secrets whenever I watch those scenes again.
    The line "you many not have my name but you have my blood" stands out.

I've watched the earlier seasons a few times but I don't find the later ones as engaging. Usually I do a recap by watching Ozzyman reviews on Youtube. They are amazing but he doesn't have them for the first three.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I've watched the earlier seasons a few times but I don't find the later ones as engaging. Usually I do a recap by watching Ozzyman reviews on Youtube. They are amazing but he doesn't have them for the first three.

Try Alt Shift X

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Just starting to watch it now (first time). People had my head wrecked so thought I'd give it a go! ha. Might take a while though, only 2 episodes in! Just 65 to go....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

chris_ie wrote: »
    Just starting to watch it now (first time). People had my head wrecked so thought I'd give it a go! ha. Might take a while though, only 2 episodes in! Just 65 to go....

Anyone watching for the first time should definitely watch every episode but for those of you who are rewatching, the Irish Times is doing a good recap guide for each season, calling out the key episodes to watch. They're up to S3 so far.

Warning: spoilery as hell for first-timers, so don't be tempted to have a read.

www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/rewatching-game-of-thrones-back-to-the-start-1.3838820

I was like that with Breaking Bad. I just never got round to watching it. The plus side was that when I did, all the seasons were out so I didn't have to wait to see how it ended :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Yeah its good not having to wait week to week for new episodes :) I've seen many spoilers through the years, they meant nothing to me at the time so I'll have forgotten some of them but I know of a few deaths, and returns etc.. Also, seeing people on posters/ads you know they're still around! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Yeah its good not having to wait week to week for new episodes :) I've seen many spoilers through the years, they meant nothing to me at the time so I'll have forgotten some of them but I know of a few deaths, and returns etc.. Also, seeing people on posters/ads you know they're still around! :D

Yeah when youre not watching something you tend to miss some of the hype/spoilers around it but GoT is so big now that maybe its impossible to miss spoilers?

Personally Im coming off all forms of social media (and maybe the internet in its entirely) while its on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Onto Season 5 Episode 3 now.

Getting there slowly but surely. It'll be a push to get finished up before the new season starts so may have to skip a few episodes.

I've the opposite problem: watched Eastwatch over the weekend which leaves us all of 2 episodes left to last until Season 8 starts!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Things got messy.... 5 seasons in 3 weeks.... I may be getting divorced... but Winter is Coming.

Charles Dance was outstanding, and so was Pedro Pascal. Played those characters to perfection.

Kit Harrington really is a terrible actor at times :D

My all-time favorite actor and character, Sandor Clegane played by the brilliant Rory McCann. I forgot how good it was to find out he was alive.

Kunkka wrote: »
    Things got messy.... 5 seasons in 3 weeks.... I may be getting divorced... but Winter is Coming.

Charles Dance was outstanding, and so was Pedro Pascal. Played those characters to perfection.

My all-time favorite actor and character, Sandor Clegane played by the brilliant Rory McCann. I forgot how good it was to find out he was alive.
    I found season 7 pretty meh compared to the rest because a lot of the best actors are gone. I'm not that invested in either Jon or Dani and their two of the central characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

You think you're fooling anyone with that top knot?

Bald ****

The man spews out gold any time he talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I've watched season 7 for the third time recently

Contemplating given season 6 a rewatch but I've just started Das Boot so I'm not sure...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Worth taking a look at his audition reel, his change in demeanour is brilliant
    https://youtu.be/TIWX2fPx-5k

Advertisement