Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace / upgrade crystal

Options
  • 29-03-2019 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

Hi. Have a watch with a low quality crystal but very fond of it and want to upgrade the glass. It's not in need of polish or repair, it is just low quality.

Is there anyone local in Dublin that would replace the crystal. It's not an 'official' brand so getting part with precise dimensions online myself is unlikely.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

elbyrneo wrote: »
    Hi. Have a watch with a low quality crystal but very fond of it and want to upgrade the glass. It's not in need of polish or repair, it is just low quality.

Is there anyone local in Dublin that would replace the crystal. It's not an 'official' brand so getting part with precise dimensions online myself is unlikely.

Thanks

Bump, and advice appreciated

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

TBH E, I have no idea. I've only ever replaced them myself. And never with any real view to keeping them water resistant(mostly very old watches). Maybe contact somewhere like Watchfix.ie and see if they'll do something like this?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,004 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Check local jewellers. It is probably a standard size. You might be surprised! :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭saccades

Watch glass cutting in abergavenny, he's only on Facebook now i think.

Can do sapphires plus jewels/casework at very reasonable prices, does work for london horologists.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Would anyone have a rough idea of the cost to replace a crystal?

My 47mm Parnis has a crack in the crystal and I'd like to get it fixed eventually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I had a crystal replaced in a Citizen solar EcoDrive last year. Cost me €40 in a local jewellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

@OP and Blachy - depending on cost it might make more financial sense to just buy a new Parnis etc. watch - this way you get a spare 2nd movement and spares in case anything else goes wrong in the future.

Advertisement