Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in a caravan in your front garden?

• 09-04-2019 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I just wanted to know if there would be any issues with living in a caravan thats parked in my parents front garden? I see a lot of people storing there caravans in their front gardens and using them for camping etc but would there be any issues living in one with the local authority and would they even know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Never mind the rear or front. Side of house is where its at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

I would just do it and see what happens, its not a big issue i would say.
    I would avoid asking the local CC as they would find some problem, what they dont know cant harm them.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Jp1506

I would just do it and see what happens, its not a big issue i would say.
    I would avoid asking the local CC as they would find some problem, what they dont know cant harm them.

Exactly and sure how could they prove it anyway. Even if somebody did report me, are they going to pay someone to surveil me over a period of time. Ive learnt by now that I don't matter that much haha. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭oceanman

unless one of your neighbours reports you I don't think you should have any problem.

oceanman wrote: »
    unless one of your neighbours reports you I don't think you should have any problem.

Even if they did report me, would they be able to pursue it any further. They're hardly going to pay someone to surveil me and take photos for proof. I'm not that important haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Jp1506 wrote: »
    Even if they did report me, would they be able to pursue it any further. They're hardly going to pay someone to surveil me and take photos for proof. I'm not that important haha

I think you're overestimating the level of proof they'd need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

A caravan is not a permanent dwelling and you would need planning permission

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Ugh, I know there is a housing crisis for some people, but honestly, if someone parked their caravan in the front drive next door with someone living in it, I would not be happy about that. Sorry now, and I know that sounds elitist, but it's the truth.

Would you have to enter the main house to use the toilets and showers?

Anyway I always thought that static caravans on a driveway had to be moved after nine months gestation or something. I am sure someone will be along soon who has the knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Neighbour of mine was doing up the house and himself, wife, daughter and 2 dogs lived in a really big caravan for about 2 years until the house was inhabitable again. They were not long out of the van when I got a letter from the County Council saying that I had an illegal caravan in my garden!!! It of course was not in MY garden and I wrote back a somewhat snotty letter to them saying that it was nothing to do with me. They then sent another letter wanting to know who owned the van/ground where it was situated. Back went my response that it was nothing to do with me. This went on for several weeks. I told the neighbour to warn him what the Council was at and he said that he had been given permission to live there until the house was done and the Council would know exactly who had the van and where it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Jp1506 wrote: »

I've seen the whole procedure a couple of times. No one needs proof for a complaint and the council will send out various notices that you need to respond to. You can store a caravan in you back garden (but can't use it as a caravan while its there) but only for 9 months so if it gets reported then the council know its there and can follow up after 9 months anyway.

tbh if you are in a rural area and know your neighbors and they don't mind then you'll most likely get away with it. In a town I really doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

You would be unlikely to get away with it and could end up prosecuted.

However, if you accumulate a large volume of rubbish and scrapped washing machines around it, buy a few ponies and sulky race them to death and engage in bareknuckle punch ups with your friends in broad daylight and steal copper piping out of your neighbours houses I think that qualifies it as an exemption and you will be allowed to keep it there as long as you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭dazberry

DCC has this one covered anyway... link

Can I keep a caravan / campervan or boat in my garden without permission?
    Yes, subject to:

Not more than 1 caravan / campervan or boat;
    No commercial / advertising use;
    Not used as a dwelling while stored;
    Storage not greater than 9 months in any year.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

dazberry wrote: »
    DCC has this one covered anyway... link

can only be stored

cannot be used

Ugh, I know there is a housing crisis for some people, but honestly, if someone parked their caravan in the front drive next door with someone living in it, I would not be happy about that. Sorry now, and I know that sounds elitist, but it's the truth.

Would you have to enter the main house to use the toilets and showers?

Anyway I always thought that static caravans on a driveway had to be moved after nine months gestation or something. I am sure someone will be along soon who has the knowledge.

Well obviously you are a busy body with nothing else to be worrying about then. In what way would it affect you anyway? It's not on your property. Maybe you do, but not everybody has the money for a big 4 bedroom house with a room for every family member. And yes I would be using the main house for showering, cooking etc. Would just be using the caravan for studying, relaxing, sleeping etc.

You would be unlikely to get away with it and could end up prosecuted.

However, if you accumulate a large volume of rubbish and scrapped washing machines around it, buy a few ponies and sulky race them to death and engage in bareknuckle punch ups with your friends in broad daylight and steal copper piping out of your neighbours houses I think that qualifies it as an exemption and you will be allowed to keep it there as long as you like.

Your dead right there haha such a ****ed up country we live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Jp1506 wrote:
    Well obviously you are a busy body with nothing else to be worrying about then. In what way would it affect you anyway? It's not on your property. Maybe you do, but not everybody has the money for a big 4 bedroom house with a room for every family member. And yes I would be using the main house for showering, cooking etc. Would just be using the caravan for studying, relaxing, sleeping etc.

Your attitude demonstrates the necessity for planning laws .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

Jp1506 wrote:

Why not move out altogether and rent a flat for yourself?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

to live in a caravan in the grounds of a property without planning, contravenes the relevant planning regs.

Mod note: we obey the law in this forum

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement