Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beetlejuice II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Does this mean we finally get to go to Hawaii? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Tim Burton says:
    The film is a go and has been approved by the Warner Bros. team, we have talked with the cast members we wanted for the film and they are all on board, this includes both Winona and Michael. We have the script in hand everything is in place all we need to do now is get ready to start filming.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,298 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So when is this due to be released? Anyone know or seen any dates scheduled? Would have been nice if it was out this year.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

Will be a few years off yet, still hoping it doesnt see the light of day. It will be a pile of poo and just a cash in on the name, tis the trend with these decades late comedy sequels :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

I've no doubt that it will be re-booted or re-made at some point in the not too distant future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,507 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It’s slated to hit cinemas on 6 September 2024, Warner Bros. has confirmed with Jenna Ortega cast as Lydia Deetz’s daughter

Michael Keaton and Winona Ryder are on board to return

From Variety

William Dafoe and Monica Bellucci rumoured to have joined also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Is he still going to Hawaii - we need to know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

seen somewhere on the internet they missed a trick not calling it 'Beetlejuice Beetlejuice'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

They have rebuilt the main house in the same usa town for on location filming. Rebuilt all the local village and the covered bridge also…

Few vids on youtube about it…

https://youtu.be/aUdVsTgeP7Y

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,290 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So they did call it Beetlejuice Beetlejuice. 😃

So that's September 6th I assume.

Post edited by CastorTroy on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The last Burton movie I really enjoyed was Big Fish 20 years ago.

I don't have high hopes for this being honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Some new photos from the set, via Deadline.

Michael Keaton:

Catherine O'Hara, Jenna Ortega, Winona Ryder, Justin Theroux:

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,307 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Trailer out in next 5ish minutes!

• Advertisement

— Kingsley Amis

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Catherine O'Hara looks great for 70; that's my only comment really cos that was a teaser by all definition of the word. Tim Burton was a busted flush many movies ago so retain no enthusiasm for his work anymore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Confirmed that Jeffrey Jones won't be appearing in this in a t substantive form. Makes sense all things considered.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Please: no more slow, ominous versions of songs in trailers. Even if they’re diegetic.

https://x.com/wbpictures/status/1793673242646839616

https://x.com/wbpictures/status/1793673242646839616

no sure about it after watching that. Just seems a carbon copy of the original, even the effects !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Funnily enough I went from meh to enthused after watching that.

I know trailers tend to have WIP FX in them, but that CGI airplane is a bit of a disgrace (unless it's contextual, somehow?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

First trailer for this I thought "ok, it might be alright".

This trailer looks like a rushed Netflix production. It really has a TV quality look to it. Michael Keaton, Catherine O'Hara and Jenna Ortega might be the best things about this when it comes time to seeing it, but Winona Ryder has lost any acting chops she had a long time ago and like her Stranger Things performance, looks cringe in this.

• Advertisement

Another trailer, showing a little more of the 'juice on the loose

I see this is now 'in the wild' . Anyone watch it yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭JKerova1

I came here to see if anyone had seen it yet, still can't find any reviews online.

my mistake, was only a trailer when I did go to have a look.

First reviews are out on Metacritic, after the premiere at the Venice Film Festival.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭El Duda

If it upsets the guardian and the dailymail at the same time it must be doing something right !

Ms

A pity none of the stations are showing Beetlejuice anywhere this week.

Would really love to see it again before going to see this in the Cinema.

Seems like a missed opertunity by the TV broadcasters.

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,033 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The ads aren't doing much for me.. seems like a lot of callbacks and references.. some pretty much lifted directly from the original.

Still will go see it but preparing to be disappointed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,046 ✭✭✭✭cena

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Correct, and possibly Amazon prime.

Saw it tonight, haven't seen it in at least 2 decades. Not sure it has aged extremely well, but it still is quite funny!!

I plan to go see the new one on Friday, will share thoughts here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,564 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,396 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Yep, seems to be both, oddly

Just a friendly plug for Just Watch, where you can see where things are steaming etc. Handy little website...

https://www.justwatch.com/ie/movie/beetlejuice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I saw this today.

I found it quite good. Sure not every joke lands, but the story is good enough to keep it going for the 100 or so minutes that lasts. Tim Burton directs with a similar flair to the first one, there is some great set design and I also liked the music- both original and the songs.

Performances a bit uneven. Michael Keaton is great again in the title role. Catherine O'Hara delightful, picking up from where she left at Schitt's Creek. Jenny Ortega playing a similar palette to her role as Wednesday Adams. And I also liked Monica Belucci in her small, femme fatale (literally 🙃 ) role. The rest were just OK. If I'm honest, I didn't get Willem Dafoe's role, wasn't particularly necessary in moving the story forward.

Overall positive balance and anyone that liked the first film will probably enjoy this one too!!

Ms

So just seen this. It takes a while to get going and is certainly different to the first one but it is good and there is some music and good laughs in it.

I enjoyed it.

6.5 out of 10 I think.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Pretty much agree with this Keaton has great fun, O Hara is very Moira Rose but loved every second she was on screen. It's enjoyable enough and moves at a decent clip I wasn't bored but the story is pretty basic.

RIP Bob :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,033 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Meh.

Best bits were Keaton and O'Hara.. as expected!

Not many laughs in the cinema bar one or two lines by O'Hara, and the Richard Marx ballad.

Can't remember Ryder being so wooden in other roles.. but any scenes with her reacting were dreadful.

Was it me or did Kyle Gallner not appear again after a tiny appearance? Was strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I was fully expecting to not like this but I laughed more than I expected and it did enough for me to enjoy it. There is too much going on, and not all of it interesting or going anywhere (you could cut out Dafoe and Bellucci and it would have damn all impact). They should have stuck to them main plot threads for Lydia being haunted by Beetlejuice, and Astrid's plot and flesh them out more and give them a better, less rushed ending.

I can't understand how they killed off Jeffrey Jones' character only to keep him around and constantly referencing him, and showing Jeffrey's picture on the gravestone, when they go to great lengths to not show him (stop motion animation, and half eaten dead body). It's such a bizarre choice. Just have him dead and move on.

You'd expect Michael Keaton to steal the show, but for me Catherine O'Hara was the MVP. I enjoyed both their performances, even if Beetlejuice isn't as sinister or as madcap as in the first movie.

I didn't like the amount of needle drops in the movie, Tragedy by the Bee Gees during Monica Bellucci's arrival scene was just bizarre and the wrong tone. Danny Elfman's name is on the credits yet it looks like he's done sweet F.A. here and left it for a soundtrack to fill. Too busy dealing with his lawsuits maybe.

I liked Jenna Ortega in it. I'm sure she's very within range of Wednesday, but I didn't watch it beyond the first episode, but her character and vibe works here. I appreciate the running time not being excessive but it definitely could do with a trim of the fat to make it a leaner and better effort for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭samo

I went to see this last night, not quite sure how I feel about it. I really loved the original and one of my favourite films as a teen back in 1990 + and felt very ‘stranger things’ retro vibe, after 30 mins debated leaving and thought it was utter crap with not a hint of story-line, but quite enjoyed the last 30 mins and set pieces.

Whomever said William Defoe and other characters didn’t add anything was right, also Winona Ryder was still a bit too Joyce/Stranger things-ish. But I’ve seen worse films - I just really wanted to love it 30+ years later….

Hopefully no one decides to make the Lost Boys 2 anytime soon to completely ruin my favourite teenage films. 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

There's a 2008 The Lost boys 2 with both the Corey's and Angus Sutherland…

• Advertisement
Advertisement