Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shops/Businesses opening/closing

• 01-04-2019 7:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This thread is for information about shops, restaurants and other businesses you have seen opening or closing.

It is not for hearsay ("someone told me X or Y is about to open/close") but for your own personal observations.

It is not for speculations on why a place opened/closed.

Chat is fine but keep it on topic.

Be civil to staff and proprietors of local businesses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

'New Line' on the Tuam Rd beside Expert Electric. Appears to be a new Tile/Flooring/carpets etc business. Just noticed it yesterday....it's new it me never noticed it before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Laviski

that credit union in galway shopping center closed and for a long time too as place is completely gutted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,083 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Laviski wrote: »
    that credit union in galway shopping center closed and for a long time too as place is completely gutted.

Not for that long, sometime in January I think.

The exact date is in the other thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I was walking past the Fisheries Watchtower Museum beside the Wolfe Tone Bridge last night and it had a sign outside saying it was closed until further notice due to structural damage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

City centre starts to remind me of the 80s /early 90s. So many closed shops and quiet streets even the likes of Cross Street- one side almost totally closed all day long, Eglinton St /Middle St many units empty or shut down.
    Not sure if its a bellweather or sign of the times but it is very quiet off the main street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

New paint shop "Paint More" in Oranmore. Beside Lidl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Anyone know when this month, the decision for Lidl Knocknacarra will be made?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

http://www.pleanala.ie/documents/reports/303/R303071.pdf

An Bord Pleanala have granted permission for a stand alone cafe to be constructed on the car park of Westside SC despite objections from all other retailers there including Dunnes over the loss of car parking spaces. I'm guessing it will be a Costa or Starbucks that goes in there?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

ongarboy wrote: »

An Bord Pleanala have granted permission for a stand alone cafe to be constructed on the car park of Westside SC despite objections from all other retailers there including Dunnes over the loss of car parking spaces. I'm guessing it will be a Costa or Starbucks that goes in there?
    Costas are starting to spring up in car parks elsewhere so they'd be the more likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

ongarboy wrote: »

So Irish.... I believe alright that the cafe in Westside SC objected due to parking issues :pac:

I've never had a problem finding parking there, you just drive to the end (church side) - less chance of your car getting dinged up there, too. Heaven forbid some little darling would have to walk 100m to Dunnes.

I'm not a coffee person, but jobs are jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jammyd

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/mothercare-ireland-reassures-customers-to-open-bigger-galway-store-1.3849497?mode=amp

I had mentioned this before but here’s a source for anyone who was wondering if Mothercare were pulling out of Galway- this has been years in the making as they had to wait to get out of there current lease plus the zoning had to be amended for wellpark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Between Mothercare and DFS seems Wellpark is filling back up again which is good to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭jkforde

I see the former Townhouse bar is being renovated, I'm guessing another bar, an concrete info?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

jkforde wrote: »
    I see the former Townhouse bar is being renovated, I'm guessing another bar, an concrete info?

That It will flood again in the next 2 years and then remain closed for a few years after that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

jkforde wrote: »
    The sweater place next-door are opening a cafe there as far as I remember from a local media article some time last year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

https://connachttribune.ie/regeneration-project-to-be-extended-to-former-bar-premises-300/

Yes, cafe and retail

They have done a good job on the first premises

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Between Mothercare and DFS seems Wellpark is filling back up again which is good to see.

great stuff but all i want to know is when Peter pan will reopen

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

youngrun wrote: »
    https://connachttribune.ie/regeneration-project-to-be-extended-to-former-bar-premises-300/

Yes, cafe and retail

They have done a good job on the first premises

having been in the shell of their first regen before the project began, they did a fantastic job, the owners, management and builders are a credit to the city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Xian Street Food in Quay Street and Gourmet Tart in Ballybane effected by food closure orders

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/newsireland/dublin-restaurant-closed-due-to-substantial-evidence-that-rats-are-active/ar-BBVJh2i?ocid=spartanntp

Temporary closures so hopefully they get the issues sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Xian Street Food in Quay Street and Gourmet Tart in Ballybane effected by food closure orders

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/newsireland/dublin-restaurant-closed-due-to-substantial-evidence-that-rats-are-active/ar-BBVJh2i?ocid=spartanntp

Both were sorted in days

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/two-galway-food-businesses-served-with-closure-orders-in-march/

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭irish_major

Anyone know whats happening with Salt in salthill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭westgolf

Closed as part of the Galleon group crash.n Galleon itself has reopened under a new leaseholder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Really disappointed to read the details of the closure order for the food prep premises of the Gourmet Tart. It's pretty gross that their premises were considered very dirty, with a lack of disinfection and hand hygiene.

westgolf wrote: »
    Closed as part of the Galleon group crash.n Galleon itself has reopened under a new leaseholder.

Currently Salt is being painted and seems like its being gutted on the inside!

Debenhams Galway gone into liquidation according to GBFM News

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Debenhams Galway gone into liquidation according to GBFM News

The whole company rather than just Galway I think.

jenno86 wrote: »
    The whole company rather than just Galway I think.

Yes, but this thread is more Galway based.

Their whole business fell into administration last night after rejecting a bid from Mike Ashley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Source Debenhams
    https://www.companyrescue.co.uk/guides-knowledge/news/could-debenhams-go-into-administration-4231/
    Update : 9th April 2019
    There has been much in the news about Debenhams and their chance of falling into administration. Today it has happened in that the company has now gone into administration and is in the hands of its lenders.

Mike Ashley's deal of £200m was not accepted so lenders are now in control of the business, wiping out the shareholders.

The £560m debt is being called. With almost £3bn pounds of sales last year, the company's shares have been suspended. It is expected that about 50 stores will close and there will be negotiations with the Landlords to reduce rents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

This seems to say Debenhams Ireland is a separate company and will be unaffected for the time being.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/debenhams-to-trade-as-normal-despite-administration-1.3854434

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,083 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Really disappointed to read the details of the closure order for the food prep premises of the Gourmet Tart. It's pretty gross that their premises were considered very dirty, with a lack of disinfection and hand hygiene.

Indeed. Especially given that this one factory prepares food for a number of outlets, and that they seem to be always looking for staff.

This seems to say Debenhams Ireland is a separate company and will be unaffected for the time being.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/debenhams-to-trade-as-normal-despite-administration-1.3854434
    Debenhams, which operates 11 stores in the Republic, says its trading divisions, staff, suppliers and customers are unaffected for now after its lenders took control of the UK parent group this morning and placed it into administration.
    Ok, thanks
    All clarified

I don't see anything on GBFM site so maybe they got it wrong and removed the news

biko wrote: »
    Ok, thanks
    All clarified

I don't see anything on GBFM site so maybe they got it wrong and removed the news

Id say that might well be the case. I heard it on their news bulletin & they introduced it as a "Breaking News" item.

Later when I checked their website news section there was nothing about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭JnarF

The owner of Monroe's and another Galway business owner have taken on the lease. Being re-fitted out again and will be open in a couple of weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,046 ✭✭✭✭cena

JnarF wrote: »
    The owner of Monroe's and another Galway business owner have taken on the lease. Being re-fitted out again and will be open in a couple of weeks

Who is the owner of Monroe's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭ratracer

cena wrote: »
    Who is the owner of Monroe's

The Monroe family

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

JnarF wrote: »

Partnership between Monroes and O’Grady’s on the Pier/Kirwan’s Lane. Will be called The Hangar apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

Gross. Won't be going there again.

Partnership between Monroes and O’Grady’s on the Pier/Kirwan’s Lane. Will be called The Hangar apparently.

Fair play to them, has serious potential!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Fair play to them, has serious potential!

Does it?

It seems to be one of those sites in Galway that never really succeeds no mater what business goes in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Does it?

It seems to be one of those sites in Galway that never really succeeds no mater what business goes in there.

Well the Castle was always a goldmine :D

In fairness though, noone seems to have given it a good shot there. The previous places were by their nature narrow in their target market. One was a Polish bar which seemed to do little to attract non-Polish and Salt was an overpriced joke.

Pretty much guaranteed that a combination with the business smarts and experience of Monroes and O'Gradys will succeed. Great news for Salthill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Will be giving Xian street food a miss too tbh. Article not very reassuring on either premises tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

tototoe wrote: »
    Will be giving Xian street food a miss too tbh. Article not very reassuring on either premises tbh.

Think it was the Xian cafe across from the Xian restaurant that was affected.think it stated the addresses were different but similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭westgolf

Think it was the Xian cafe across from the Xian restaurant that was affected.think it stated the addresses were different but similar.

One place probably a prep kitchen for the other. Indicative of poor management of both xian and gourmet tart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

To be honest, the reasons why restaurants fail inspections aren't always a reason for concern. Often, they could be spotless, but have technical failings that aren't huge worries for the average person.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

In the case of the Galway closures, these were very clearly of concern. There is no excuse for any business being hit with a closure order like this, and I don't accept that "technical failings" do not put the public at risk. The FSAI exists to protect the public, and the establishments should be adhering to the regulations. Food safety is very important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Attached is the actual closure order for The Gourmet Tart Company.

Some bits from it:
    The lack of adequate cleaning and disinfection in the premises and the food preparation activities evident
    gave rise to an unacceptable risk of cross-contamination of foodstuffs rendering unfit/unsafe food being
    placed on the market. The preparation of raw foods and ready to eat foodstuffs using the same facilities,
    equipment and cleaning cloths without adequate cleaning and disinfection was being carried out. Large
    containers for mixing foodstuffs that food workers stated had been cleaned, did not appear clean or
    adequately disinfected. Some of these containers had a foul odour.

The premises in its current condition is not adequately pest proofed and would allow entry of pests and
    thus allows an unacceptable risk for contamination of foodstuffs. This was evidenced by the following:
    Gaps were present at the front entrance door, and other structural points, including dishwasher ventilation
    duct and where pipe work was present in walls i.e. in the dish washing room, at the rear of the bread
    oven, in the wall above the macaroon making machine which would allow entry for pests,
    There was shrubbery and rubble in close proximity to the exterior wall of the premises, which can provide
    harbourage for pests.
    Ants were noted adjacent to the rear door underneath containers of crushed biscuit, and a slug was noted
    on the wall adjacent the dishwasher.

Some posts that could be damaging, and their followups, removed.
    Please drop Gourmet tart for now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

https://connachttribune.ie/galway-indoor-artisan-food-market-gets-go-ahead-300/

That food market has gotten the go ahead. Don't know if it's long term but appears to be.... Nice addition hopefully

• Advertisement
Advertisement