Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

ZX7R wrote: »
    Nacho your been a bit Nick picky with you 3 examples, extreme snow falls in April are rarer than white Christmas to be fair.
    Most people on boards wouldn't be old enough to experience 81. let alone the other two examples.

Extreme snowfalls are rare in April, but my point is we can get falls of snow in April, they obviously won't hang around long, though. I think it's never too late for snow. Those that don't want it won't have to put up with it for long anyway.
    With this in mind there are signs that by the third week of April it may become warm and settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Just started lashing in cork city now, was beautiful all day. Bitterly cold morning and a warm enough afternoon. Blue skies

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Was a beautiful day in Galway today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Very heavy rain in Dublin 5

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Carol25

Beautiful day in Galway today, great sunshine.

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Was a beautiful day in Galway today.

Yes. It felt very pleasant in the sun today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,532 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Extreme snowfalls are rare in April, but my point is we can get falls of snow in April, they obviously won't hang around long, though. I think it's never too late for snow. Those that don't want it won't have to put up with it for long anyway.
    With this in mind there are signs that by the third week of April it may become warm and settled.

If you want another extreme example of April snow Nacho, have a look at April 1908.

Early on the 24th the mercury sank to -12.8C at Garforth in Yorkshire and at Perth in Scotland and the following morning a reading of -12.2C was logged at Corstophine, near Edinburgh.

Even in the city of Oxford the official observer noted a maximum depth of 42cm, the heaviest snowfall in any month there since February 1888, and not equalled since, while in Southampton the fall amounted to 37cm.

Data from Philip Eden, a late fellow weather historian.

fvg6Fph.png

OtKhsnU.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well, there are no yellow flags, not even marine. on met.ie, and they admit to a balmy 5 degrees... having said that, when I ambitiously headed gatewards for a walk, was beaten back by a cold blast breathing rain.

west mayo offshore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Other than the one really nice week we’ve got I really haven’t enjoyed this spring. Cold wet mainly and judging by the long term forecast more of the same to come. Think I’ll take a break at Easter and head south for some warmth and dry weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,299 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Gorgeous morning North Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭highdef

lawred2 wrote: »
    Gorgeous morning North Dublin

Just back from the Lucan area. Sun was beginning to make an appearance when I left but still overcast in Kilcock. Should get brighter for many in the next hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Sun is out here now and it feels nice. Feels tropical compared to the last few days anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

the sun is clearly trying to emerge.... we shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Other than the one really nice week we’ve got I really haven’t enjoyed this spring. Cold wet mainly and judging by the long term forecast more of the same to come. Think I’ll take a break at Easter and head south for some warmth and dry weather.

Same here, been another horrible week with plenty of wind and rain. Spent the morning looking at flights to the Med :pac:

In saying that, it's really nice today so far with milky sunshine all morning

Nice and cool with hazy sunshine. Perfect April weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭acequion

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Nice and cool with hazy sunshine. Perfect April weather.

Totally agree. I'm happy out with this weather. While showery, there's some lovely sunshine too and I much prefer cool to mild. If it stays cool up to June and then we get a steady run of temps over 20C I'll be delighted. Won't hold my breath though as temps over 20C are not the norm in Kerry,unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Lovely evening but a keen breeze. 12c

sryanbruen wrote: »
    If you want another extreme example of April snow Nacho, have a look at April 1908.

Data from Philip Eden, a late fellow weather historian.

Thanks for the information about April 1908. So maybe next week we might get something similar:p

Just a bit about Philip Eden, I used to love reading his weather articles in the Sunday Telegraph. It's a pity he never got to experience the very cold weather last March, as he loved writing about weather extremes that happen to us. He could also be funny. Also, although he believed in Global Warming, he was very wary of meterological information being spun and politicised to suit a certain narrative. He was quick to call this guff out. He is a great loss to all who have an interest in the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,532 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Not a bad day in Bray, lots of hazy sunshine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Meteorite
    ECM holding the warm look for the coming weekend, even warmer on the latest run showing it getting up to 18C next Sunday. Long SW'ly fetch with warm humid air sourced from the Azores. We will see if it holds.

:):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Meteorite
    ECM holding the warm look for the coming weekend, even warmer on the latest run showing it getting up to 18C next Sunday. Long SW'ly fetch with warm humid air sourced from the Azores. We will see if it holds.

:):):)

Just to clarify the above, it is a quote from Meteorite from another thread, not an original comment.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Just to clarify the above, it is a quote from Meteorite from another thread, not an original comment.

That's why I put his name at the top :-/

Fine night at Dublin Airport

Fine night at Dublin Airport

And amazingly chilly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

And amazingly chilly

Sharp Frost in maynooth dead came , shallow fog at times, plenty of shooting stars last night.
    Beautiful night indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Silent night

Beautiful morning here south west Mayo sharp clear frost birds in full song

Glorious morning as most are. I suspect it's not due to last the day?

Beautiful here in Barcelona Airport, 16c and sunny. Feels quite cool which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭highdef

Beautiful here in Barcelona Airport, 16c and sunny. Feels quite cool which is great.

Air con must be on full blast if its 16c in the airport! LOL

North Kildare, fog is lifting quickly now. Sun is beginning to break through. Gonna be a lovely day for many. Calm at home but a bit of a breeze once I climb more than about 10m up either of the hills beside home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭glwaymiko

A mighty morning as we say here in the westhhhh ...

Advertisement