Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your ultimate age limit (upper&lower!) when dating?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

YFlyer wrote: »
    Half my age.
    Right, that's your upper limit.
    What's your lower limit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Vela

Had a 48 year old message me on another site after setting up this thread. ��

I dunno man, I think maybe that's a stretch too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

• Registered Users Posts: 24,929 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Am 39 and going out with a 30 year old last 4 years. Not by design and I’ve no hard and fast rules but in fairness she is a very mature girl, a full time career as a psychologist and quite ‘settled’ as a person. Other relationships only a year or two in the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Strumms wrote: »
    Am 39 and going out with a 30 year old last 4 years Not by design and I’ve no hard and fast rules but in fairness she is a very mature girl, a full time career as a psychologist and quite ‘settled’ as a person. Other relationships only a year or two in the difference.

Four different people or some form of time machine? I don't know which is more impressive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,929 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Four different people or some form of time machine? I don't know which is more impressive

Both would be :pac:

Met my partners when I was 27 and they were 25 and 17. Still together. Really did not even consider age at the time or now. For me it was all about a connection or no connection.

A user of boards put it well once. If you like someone despite or regardless of their age that's one thing - if you like someone because of their age you might have an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Age doesn’t really matter, within reason. Someone who has their sh1t sorted, isn’t a drama queen, and doesn’t dwell on the past. I’ve learned that you cannot fix someone who is ‘broken’, don’t even try.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,266 ✭✭✭This is it

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Age doesn’t really matter, within reason. Someone who has their sh1t sorted, isn’t a drama queen, and doesn’t dwell on the past. I’ve learned that you cannot fix someone who is ‘broken’, don’t even try.

Hopefully I'm not 'broken'!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I am playing bitlife on my phone, I have come to realise one should go for as old as possible once they have some wealth, get married before they die and you can build wealth that way.

• Advertisement

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Oh, I gave up on that long ago.

Gas-lighting drama queens often come with a penis attached. And it takes a lot of time and experience to see that they'll simply never change. Or be "fixable".

You can't fix someone who doesn't have the self awareness to realise what they need to work on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Upper limit would probably be mid-40s. Not much older than that anyway - I don't want to catch the menopause.

The last I heard the menopause wasn't contagious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

Met my partners when I was 27 and they were 25 and 17.
    Polyamorist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Met my partners when I was 27 and they were 25 and 17. Still together. Really did not even consider age at the time or now. For me it was all about a connection or no connection.

A user of boards put it well once. If you like someone despite or regardless of their age that's one thing - if you like someone because of their age you might have an issue.
    You started going out with one of your partners when he or she was seventeen? Did you go to their debs?

I'm in my late 50s and happily married for many years but if something happened to my wife I suppose I'd go out with someone aged around 30-50. I couldn't go out with someone older than me, no way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    You started going out with one of your partners when he or she was seventeen? Did you go to their debs?

I'm in my late 50s and happily married for many years but if something happened to my wife I suppose I'd go out with someone aged around 30-50. I couldn't go out with someone older than me, no way.

Nothing wrong with a nice gummy blow job

I was in the reverse situation with my bf at the time, and yeah he came! It was grand! (maybe not so much for him:pac:)

Yet you expect the person who you would date to go out with somebody significantly older than them.

Also somebody aged 30-50 is more likely to be around to care for you than somebody your own age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

I'm mid 30s female.

Couldn't see myself with anyone under 30 or over 45 but depends on the person really.

Nearly everyone I've been with has been same age or 5 years old with one except, I dated a 27 year old when I was 17 & doing my Leaving Cert - didn't see anything wrong with it at the time but looking back it was all kinds of wrong but of course I wouldn't listen to anyone who said that at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,595 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Vela wrote: »
    I was in the reverse situation with my bf at the time, and yeah he came! It was grand!

I hope you used protection.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

I hope you used protection.

Walked into that one!

• Advertisement

fash wrote: »
    Polyamorist?

Never been 100% sure what the exact correct label is - but pretty much yes.
    You started going out with one of your partners when he or she was seventeen?

It evolved slowly from there - it was not a full 100% committed relationship from the outset or anything. But yes we are officially together for coming up on 13 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I am 45. On my dating apps and such I would always go 10 years younger and 5 older as am not into older men.

Have been with my 29 year old boyfriend for a year though. We didn't meet on a dating app, we met on a forum and just clicked. We live together since October. He is more mature than me.

Only slight issue I have with his age is that he is not that much older than my sons....oops.

But I haven't been this happy in forever so am sure that they would not be too bothered. They know he exists but don't know his age.

I have never met his family because am not sure a strict muslim family would be that impressed with a white, Irish, atheist corrupting their son.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

My Ex was about 5 years older and there were many times when I felt like he was too old for me. He was forever telling me I was too giddy and don’t take anything seriously.
    Now my other half is 8 years older and age doesn’t ever cross my mind with him. It’s just never an issue with us.

I never set out to date older guys it just worked out that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Vela wrote: »
    Oh, I gave up on that long ago.

Gas-lighting drama queens often come with a penis attached. And it takes a lot of time and experience to see that they'll simply never change. Or be "fixable".

You can't fix someone who doesn't have the self awareness to realise what they need to work on.

And they never think the problem is them. Met several guys like this, banging on about how crazy their exes were but not acknowledging that their horrendous behaviour was what made them crazy. Went out with this guy who was a total gas lighting drama queen. Refused to let me feel any security in the relationship, wouldn't make future plans, didn't let me into his life (meeting friends etc.), checked out other women in front of me, and just generally behaved like a selfish asshole. And just could not accept that his entire way of being created anxiety and insecurity in any normal woman. We were compatible in many ways but I realised he would never change. The goalposts just kept moving further and further away, the gaslighting got worse and worse, he was so commitment phobic that he started to devalue me and find faults in everything I said or did to have an excuse to push me away.

And what does his Tinder profile say? 'No drama queens' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Emme wrote: »
    Yet you expect the person who you would date to go out with somebody significantly older than them.

Also somebody aged 30-50 is more likely to be around to care for you than somebody your own age.

Late fifties/early sixties man thinks he deserves a 30-year-old woman (who has her pick of pretty much everyone) but won't date someone a year older than himself. Funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

As long as my wife doesn't find out, I'm not too fussy.

oLoonatic wrote: »
    As long as my wife doesn't find out, I'm not too fussy.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Kivaro wrote: »
    Right, that's your upper limit.
    What's your lower limit?

Upper limit half my age
    Lower limit (half my age)- 5

• Registered Users Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I don't have an age limit, ex's have been older than me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I don't think I'd have any interest in someone significantly younger or older than me, I'm 45 my missus is 40. You see 25 year olds and whereas they may look great, I just wouldn't have much interest in even bedding one, there's no way I'd consider dating one.

Much younger just feels sleazy and exploitative to me, and much older? What exactly would be the point!

Advertisement