Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youngest player to win a senior hurling or football medal...?

Options
  • 06-04-2019 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭

John Leahy, Eddie Keher in hurling.....stuck on football to be honest did the gooch win one as a teenager....?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Dublin's Joe McNally won a minor Al Ireland in 1982 and a Senior in 1983 (was 18). I think he's the only player to have done that in football, minor then senior in successive years.

But I'd say there was loads of minors with senior AIs years ago .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Jayo was 19 in 1995

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Jimmy Doyle in '58 was 19.5,Leahy was a week off 20 in '89.Conal Bonnar is a few weeks younger than Leahy and won in '89.Noel Mc Grath in 2010 was 3months off 20 so younger than the 2 in '89.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

Apparently the youngest senior All-Ireland winner was Paul Russell of Killarney, who was 17 years old when he played wing-back on Kerry's winning team of 1924. He had also appeared in the previous year's final at the age of 16, but Kerry lost that game. He went on to capture a total of six All-Ireland medals before departing the inter-county scene in 1934 at age 27!

http://www.terracetalk.com/articles/Kerry-Football-Families/160/The-Russells-of-Kerry

http://terracetalk.com/kerry-football/player/344/Paul-Russell (data from 1927 on)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Russell_(Gaelic_footballer)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

1923 and 1924 finals were both held in 1924 because of Civil War.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Hurling. Clare 1914, Brendan Considine, aged 17 or maybe even a few weeks short of it (born 1897)
    Football. Cavan 1928, Patsy Lynch aged 16 and a half
    These are generally cited as the two answers to the question.

Malachy O'Brien who captained Limerick football in 1887 was reputedly 17. He died in 1953, (in New York, I think.)
    Youngest hurling captain was supposed to be one of the Cork captains 1941-1944, aged 19. I forget which one, maybe Condon.
    I believe Kerry 1937 had two or three players aged 18.
    Eddie Keher played in the 1959 minor final and at a later date came on from the subs' bench in the 1959 senior final replay. He suffered defeat in both.
    Jimmy Duggan was young when he won his only senior medal with Galway in 1966, about 18.
    Laois 1915. I believe one of the Finlays was 17.

I suspect that the ultimate truth of the matter lies in the very early years of the GAA when counties were usually represented by the county champions. It is perfectly conceivable that a few 15 year olds tasted success in those days. Any of you who live near Aghabullogue or Tullaroan or Kilfinane or Ballyduff might be able to dig up the answer. Football might be a little more difficult as alot of the successful teams were urban.
    Not many so young played in recent years. Gerry McElhinney was 16 or 17 when he played in one or two semi-finals for Derry in the seventies.
    Hurling goalkeeper Randal McDonnell of Antrim was 17 when he played for Ulster in 1961 or 1962. I think he was an SDLP local councillor years later. I'm not sure, but I think Des Foley may have hurled for Leinster as a minor in 1959.
    Railway Cup football? I've been told that one of the O'Driscolls from Ballycotton, a dual player, was a Munster footballer as a minor in the early 1940s (maybe 1941.) I understand he became a priest. An O'Keefe from Kilfenora played for Munster in the 1980s while still a minor.
    Joe Loughran won an All-Ireland junior hurling medal with Meath in 1927, and a second one in 1948 when he played in the drawn final. He must have been very young at one end and very old at the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Tommy Murphy of Laois played in a semi final against Kerry in 1937 aged 16. And in the 1938 semi final against the same chaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Paddy McBrearty turned 19 in August 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Agus

feargale wrote: »
    Hurling. Clare 1914, Brendan Considine, aged 17 or maybe even a few weeks short of it (born 1897)
    Football. Cavan 1928, Patsy Lynch aged 16 and a half
    These are generally cited as the two answers to the question.

Brendan Considine must be a strong contender in hurling. In football though, Cavan didn't win the 1928 All-Ireland - on checking, it looks like they were beaten by Kildare in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Agus wrote: »
    Brendan Considine must be a strong contender in hurling. In football though, Cavan didn't win the 1928 All-Ireland - on checking, it looks like they were beaten by Kildare in the final.

Sorry. You are quite right. Lynch is usually recognised as the youngest to play in a final. Will you take Malachy O'Brien 1887, captain and all? (at least until the denizens of Clonmel, Tralee and Bray have done their sleuthing,)

• Advertisement
Advertisement