Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovelo cycling

Options
  • 31-03-2019 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, I am hoping to do a cycling holiday across Europe this summer/autumn, currently thinking one of the eurovelo routes 6, 7 or 8 around Germany/Austria/Hungary or down the coast of Croatia. Ideally somewhere flat with nice places to stop off, as I am more of a leisurely cyclist. I am not sure how to go about arranging accommodation, bike rental etc or if this can wait until I arrive. Does anyone have any recommendations of routes or websites/companies who would be worth checking out?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I did as a group tour cycle north Cyprus with Explore co
    Uk last October.
    Amazing trip.

Am doing Sardinia this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

I followed all those routes from London to Istanbul. Cycling in Germany and Austria is just fantastic. 2-3m wide separated cycle paths in off the road. You basically follow the Danube from Germany to Croatia. Easy peezy. Endless b&B's and in Germany there are even tube vending machines. Even in Hungary it was pretty good. Borders are seemless, even going between Serbia and Croatia was a breeze.

I brought my own bike and just checked into b&bs as I went. Was grand.

You're on the Danube most of the way. It's flat. Fast and fun.

Can't recommend it enough. Happy to send on more details if you want

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭devonp

How about EV13 :D???

funnily enough just today finished reading Tim Moores book "the cyclist who went out in the Cold' cycling from the tip of Finland down to the Black sea

about 9,000km on an old GDR shopping bike. really good book , basically a funny travel book not too much bike stuff, really enjoyed it.

he said the best countries were Serbia and Turkey

enjoy your chosen route

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭tampopo

We rented from viennaexplorer.com and were very pleased. An Aussie girl dealt with us. We cycled from Vienna to Bratislaca along EuroVelo 6 for Piratislava. Some bits are having maintenance work, especially around Shonen, I think was the village's name. Maybe Shonau. Yep, Shonau it is. East of there.

Will be doing a bit of EuroVelo 10 next month, renting from VeloCity in Vilnius.

And Budapest is gorgeous. Take the train to Lake Balaton and cycle around it. https://www.facebook.com/Epic-adventures-in-Hungary-368593950014175/

I exchanged DMs with this chap last year. He has a blog from his EuroVelo 6 trip last year.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1mr&doc_id=21122&v=Y5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭stiofan85

tampopo wrote: »
    I exchanged DMs with this chap last year. He has a blog from his EuroVelo 6 trip last year.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1mr&doc_id=21122&v=Y5

This chap has the right attitude - nice distances every day. The biggest mistake for me was pushing for 100-120km+ per day. Eat, sleep, cycle repeat. If I could go back I'd cut the distances in half and spend the extra time faffing about and enjoying being off the bike.

Also, don't forget to look behind you from time to time. Took me months on the bike to realise I was missing out on the views in the rear!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Hutty1

stiofan85 wrote: »
    I followed all those routes from London to Istanbul. Cycling in Germany and Austria is just fantastic. 2-3m wide separated cycle paths in off the road. You basically follow the Danube from Germany to Croatia. Easy peezy. Endless b&B's and in Germany there are even tube vending machines. Even in Hungary it was pretty good. Borders are seemless, even going between Serbia and Croatia was a breeze.

I brought my own bike and just checked into b&bs as I went. Was grand.

You're on the Danube most of the way. It's flat. Fast and fun.

Can't recommend it enough. Happy to send on more details if you want
    Hi,

Yes as many tips as possible would be great!! I wasn't sure how it would work renting a bike in one place and ending up miles away

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rootsman

Would love to do Eurovelo 15 following the Rhine but trying to work out where to start how to get bikes back if we dont do a return to start???

Anyone I have seen got the ferry from Hawich in UK to Rotterdam and return on the route.

Anyone done this from Ireland?Any suggestions greatly appreciated thanks.

Advertisement