Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weird Price Fluctuations on IrishRail.ie

• 05-04-2019 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

Do any of you have a lot of experience with the irishrail booking system.

The "book seat only" function is ticked for a trip Heuston-Killarney and it's giving me like €40+ price quotes to book when the price is usually €5-10 to book the seat, the price (for the exact same time slot) also seems to change depending on if I change the options for the time period at the top (eg 9am-3pm or 2pm-8pm) even though the actual train journey quoted is the same.

I can't make head or tails of it, in one case it went over 100euro more than a full fare return for a regular ticket would be...the tickets for this journey are booking up fast as I can see with all the X's on the train and it looks like a nightmare packed train if I dont book online, and walk up the counter on the day.

Friends going with me wanted to enjoy the journey by going first class on the Cork train then changing near the end of the route but the times are too akward to allow this, but it seems if we go on the normal train it's a disaster.

I tried just doing my booking on it's own, and for one time slot it quoted 30euro just for my seat alone, I don't get what is happening here.

Is this journey always packed ? (even on a sunday and monday) and is that confusing the system or what? anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

Ok now prices are changing every time I click a button, and first class trains (there used to be only one per day at bizzare times to Tralee*) are appearing and vanishing that didn't exist before...AND the semiflexibles are more expensive than the flexibles....40 v 80 v 118....WTF seriously....WTF is going on with this site!!!

* said Mallow there by mistake earlier

Ok this gets more bizzare, just to check out the seat avail a little more I went a few paces into the booking process, ive done this twice now, with the same 2 trains, out and return.

The first time, A was full of about 1/3 free seats..now it's locked and grey'd out totally...this was maybe 5 minutes apart....oh and a book seat only journey for me return, alone just me, is €160....I'd not pay that to fly to the UK ...this has to be a mistake??

Something is defo very wrong with their system...in manual seat selection it's now going Heuston-Mallow and Mallow-Killarney-Heuston despite my asking for direct trains on 3 different browsers thinking it was a browser issue saving an old selection or something...I can't get it to function correctly no matter what I do.
    I thought maybe there were line works but there are none for sunday or monday....

When I go back to Killarney-Dublin return, it's quoting 41 for a full standard ticket, but when you go 'book seat only' which is meant to be a token 5-10fee...it quotes 30euro for that one 1pm slot and 5 or 10 for all the others...it's fluctuating all over the place with minor settings changes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Select 1 Adult, select seat reservation, tick box and continue.

First class seats are not 5.00.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Select 1 Adult, select seat reservation, tick box and continue.

First class seats are not 5.00.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that I thought they were..........or that I tried to make a reservation w ithout selecting seat reservation....I'm not that dim my friend.

I was referring to regular seats.

I'm gonna start over here because clearly I need to explain this better:

1. When you select 'seat only' the booking fee, which on the Belfast and Cork lines is 5-10 for every time slot uniformly, it wildly fluctuates between 10-20-30-118+, at one point it quoted €140

2. It also breaks the journey up via Mallow 4 ways, for no apparent reason (there are no line works).

Let me show you...Im gonna post screenshots because I'm clearly not explaining this right:

SETTINGS THAT WERE PUT IN.....

http://i63.tinypic.com/doot9t.png

PRICE FLUCTUATIONS....

http://oi63.tinypic.com/20jjqq9.jpg

http://oi67.tinypic.com/n5gff8.jpg

BIZARRE MALLOW DETOUR ....(look at the top)

http://oi68.tinypic.com/e86f7r.jpg

I can't get consistent prices and a straight journey to Killarney and back without Mallow involved.

Even if I get €10 for the outward journey I can't stop it shooting up for the return journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭Shedite27

There's only 1 direct train to Killarney each day, most switch at Mallow (the train only leaves once the incomming train arrives so it's an easy connection).

The checkbox you've ticked is to "Show Bike Availability".

Not sure what you're trying to do, Seat only means you have a travel card yeah (interrail, OAP etc yeah)?

Should be bout 80 return for a regular ticket at this stage

• Advertisement
Advertisement