Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Para regiment under investigation for shooting at posters of Jeremy Corbyn

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,964 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Thing is the military is a little micocosm of society. So you'll be bound to find Thatcher supporters, Thatcher haters, labour supporters, conservatives, people who have no interest in politics, those that dislike the cops etc. etc.

Yeah, that's a pretty good assessment I think.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

FTA69 wrote: »
    It's basically a non-story really, the optics of it are very sinister and bad but the reality is that it's a bunch of eejits arsing around on the firing range with a picture of a fella they don't like. Some people are suggesting this is an indication that Corbyn will face some sort of a military coup or something but I think that's hyperbole to say the least.

There has always been an extremely reactionary mindset running through the Brit Army (and the Paras especially) of hard-headed militarism and a sense of British superiority. The fact Corbyn is a jam-making peacenik portrayed as an IRA supporter who doesn't back "our boys" fully is enough to send a lot of them around the twist.

But he does back them. He's one of the biggest advocates of supporting British veterans who have become homeless. The Tory party, for all their patriotism have cut the army budget to shreds and support for soldiers affected by PTSD, alcoholism and homelessness. Ironically when these boys lose their jobs it may be Corbyn advocating that they get adequate support. Also I can imagine there will be a lot of soldiers and veterans very angry at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

They'd have been disbanded in any normal society. The BA can do no wrong...unless you fight for 40 odd years to get them to admit that they did.

The only military to have committed atrocities against citizens of a colony in the 20th century, or their own citizens for that matter, that has not been disbanded?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

There was a statement released by the paras earlier. Apparently the Corbyn poster shot first and they only returned fire in self defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

maybe the paras in the vid are jews?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Many remember what thatcher did to the coal industry, a lot of normal soldiers come from the areas that were devastated by the pit closures and watched their families torn apart by her actions. Not many here in the North west at least would be big Thatcher fans at all.

I'm sure. Not sure what your point is though. Some army didn't like Thatcher? Fair enough. I still know one who does.
    There was a report about paras shooting a photo of Jeremy Corbyn too mind. Doubt they were Arthur Scargill's lads.
    I remember that soldier that got hideous burn injuries (can't think of his name) being asked to explain why so many soldiers adored her when she died.
    Can't remember his answer, mind you, but there was certainly a phenomenon of excessive worship, if that is the correct word.

West. I think during the Malvinas (Falklands) re-occupation.
    maybe the paras in the vid are jews?

No need to be antisemetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

I'm sure. Not sure what your point is though. Some army didn't like Thatcher? Fair enough. I still know one who does.
    There was a report about paras shooting a photo of Jeremy Corbyn too mind. Doubt they were Arthur Scargill's lads.

West. I think during the Malvinas (Falklands) re-occupation.

Simon West from the Welsh Guards

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Bit odd to join an army and at the same time mock shoot at someone who potentially gives you a job.

Well a Labour MP was murdered another Labour MP targeted, so that's why it's serious.

by some absolute lunatic neo nazi. Are you suggesting everyone who hates Corbyn is a neo nazi?

Is firing wax pellets at a picture of a politician worse than calling for someone to commit mass murder like the hard man below?
    schizo1014 wrote: »
    Another Warrenpoint would do these lads the world of good.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,434 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Aegir wrote: »

Is firing wax pellets at a picture of a politician worse than calling for someone to commit mass murder like the hard man below?

Of course it is. these are supposed to be professional servants of the state. that they did this and furthermore thought it was appropriate to put in the public domain points to a serious breach of their contract with the state. Of course, this particular state will not elevate it to this, but then they don't have a great track record in disciplining this regiment.

To compound their flagrant political bias with the utter stupidity of firing live rounds would not have surprised me tbh.

• Advertisement

Of course it is.

now there's a surprise.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

If true when corbyn gets in he should disband the regiment to send a warning to the rest of the army.

Court martial the lot of them.

Then summarily dismiss the very top brass and get loyal ppl in there.

I’d say same if it was a photo of lib dem or Tory leader.

now there's a surprise.:rolleyes:

And here you are, desperately trying to dilute/deflect again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I remember that soldier that got hideous burn injuries (can't think of his name) being asked to explain why so many soldiers adored her when she died.
    Can't remember his answer, mind you, but there was certainly a phenomenon of excessive worship, if that is the correct word.

Simon Weston

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Many remember what thatcher did to the coal industry, a lot of normal soldiers come from the areas that were devastated by the pit closures and watched their families torn apart by her actions. Not many here in the North west at least would be big Thatcher fans at all.

The British taxpayer should have been allowed to continue heavily subsidising the coal industry to keep the miners happy. And introduce grants for Cornish Morris dancers as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

steddyeddy wrote: »
    But he does back them. He's one of the biggest advocates of supporting British veterans who have become homeless. The Tory party, for all their patriotism have cut the army budget to shreds and support for soldiers affected by PTSD, alcoholism and homelessness. Ironically when these boys lose their jobs it may be Corbyn advocating that they get adequate support. Also I can imagine there will be a lot of soldiers and veterans very angry at this.

That Tory patriotism can often be little more than a dishonest recruitment tool. Like many countries with a tradition of militarism the British have a very weird double-think with their soldiers - They praise and celebrate them to high heaven in public but privately much of the population regard them as drunken thugs, especially those outside the traditional recruiting pool of lumpenproleteriat for the ranks and public schoolboys for the officers .

This is nothing new either. The Duke of Wellington called his own men

"The scum of the earth, recruited for drink".

Kipling's Tommy summed this hypocrisy up perfectly, contrasting them being treated like beggars until it's their time to face death

"But it's "thin red line of 'Eroes" when the drums begin to roll".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

tell that to the uk labour party

for clarity, here is what he said. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/margaret-thatcher/9997024/Margaret-Thatcher-funeral-Simon-Weston-calls-for-dignified-response.html

I guess in Francie's world, anything that doesn't call for her sorpse to be exhumed and burnt at the stake is hero worship :rolleyes:

by some absolute lunatic neo nazi. Are you suggesting everyone who hates Corbyn is a neo nazi?

Im suggesting that normalising aggression against Labour MPs is dangerous, and that demonisation of Corbyn by media adds to the fervour of the ultra right wing. "It was just an egg slapped into a pensioners head" "it was only soldiers with weapons capable of being lethal shooting at a picture of the pensioner"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

The mask keeps slipping alright.

• Advertisement

Im suggesting that normalising aggression against Labour MPs is dangerous, and that demonisation of Corbyn by media adds to the fervour of the ultra right wing. "It was just an egg slapped into a pensioners head" "it was only soldiers with weapons capable of being lethal shooting at a picture of the pensioner"

And it has been rightly condemned by politicians and the army. It was a stupid thing to do, although i would argue that the most stupid thing was filming and making it public.

Am I outraged by it? no, not at all. Are those claiming to be outraged by it actually outraged, or just looking to vent their own hatred?

Is calling for 18 Paras to be killed a reasonable response? No, it is stupid but that seems to have avoided any form of outrage (or censor) completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Footage from Afgan terrorist training camp shows terrorists training

Not sure why people are shocked.

for clarity, here is what he said. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/margaret-thatcher/9997024/Margaret-Thatcher-funeral-Simon-Weston-calls-for-dignified-response.html

I guess in Francie's world, anything that doesn't call for her sorpse to be exhumed and burnt at the stake is hero worship :rolleyes:

You really really shouldn't just reach for the first quote that backs you. Proper research would be much more sensible Aegir.
    Proper quoting of other posters would also be helpful. I said 'excessive adoration' which I think the following quote from Weston is:
    “I’m very sad. A person who made a great difference to my life has passed away and it’s always sad when someone who has people who loves them dies.

“In my opinion, Mrs Thatcher was the greatest wartime leader Britain has had since Winston Churchill.

“And I honestly feel if she had been around in World War II she would have been Britain’s greatest ever wartime leader.

The excessive gushing here is tempered by the fact that the Malvinas/Falklands is a tiny island in the south Seas and her adversary was hardly the German war machine. :rolleyes:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/margaret-thatcher-britains-greatest-wartime-2558826

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

:rolleyes:

what a stupid post.

I was agreeing with you :confused:

mattser wrote: »
    I was agreeing with you :confused:

my bad :o

You really really shouldn't just reach for the first quote that backs you.

So you search for an article with selected quotes that kind of supports what you said.

I linked to what he said, you linked to selected quotes.

So you search for an article with selected quotes that kind of supports what you said.

I linked to what he said, you linked to selected quotes.

What? :confused:

What? :confused:

Haha. He's got you there. Did you really think quoting what Weston actually thought of Thatcher was going to work, or how forums operate. Rookie error.

Haha. He's got you there. Did you really think quoting what Weston actually thought of Thatcher was going to work, or how forums operate. Rookie error.

What I said originally

Aegir jumped because somebody once again dared to criticise the British and inferred I was referring to what Weston said about Thatcher...which as anyone can see, I wasn't particularly, I was referring to general excessive adoration among soldiers.

Turning up a quote from Weston too, doing exactly what I said, 'excessively adoring' her, is a Brucie bonus really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Centre right politically but the treatment of corbyn by the UK media and now this, has been reprehensible

Advertisement