Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential New Def Jam game?

Options
  • 03-04-2019 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭

I remember playing Def Jam Vendetta and then Fight for NY back in the day, and I absolutely loved them! I think the violence of it initially hooked me, but iirc it was actually quite a decent game in general. Vicious moves, such as throwing your opponent head first into a wall, DDT's onto concrete, fighting for your woman, and a few well known rap starts in the mix (Snoop etc). Through these rose tinted beer bottle glasses I'm wearing, I remember them fondly.

Well, looks like Def Jam may be looking into making another one, courtesy of this Tweet I found after discussing the games with a work colleague:

https://twitter.com/defjam/status/1012811592218628096?lang=en

Did ye ever play these back in the day? Can you remember it, and if so, can you remember good or bad times? Never played Icon as far as I remember, but looking at the Wiki, it looks like an inferior game.

Who would you like to see in a potential reboot? Snoop would have to be back, but I'd love if they would bring in Dre, Eminem, and the rest of those rappers. I don't have a clue about the modern ones at all!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

I remember that you had to throw Snoop out of a window to win the game

I think his character name was Crow. I do remember his signature move was called 187. I also vaguely remember Danny Trejo getting hit by a subway train.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The memories are coming back! Forgot that Danny Trejo was in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

There was one before that?

Bought it drunk for the N64 I think.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Excited and all as I am seeing that, the tweet's from June of last year and we haven't heard a peep about it since, so I'm not holding my breath. Was a fun game, but I think a bit niche.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I enjoyed the first two a lot. Nothing particularly spectacular about them, but they were just a lot of fun. Not sure how well a new modern version would do though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I absolutely loved Fight for NY. 90's Hip Hop is my favourite music genre so the game had all my favourite rappers. The character creation, customisation, fight moves, story, characters, loved it!

Mainstream Hip Hop is ****ing horrible today so I hope if a new game is to come out, it stays to the 90's settings with the odd few new guys thrown in. If it was a straight remaster, I'd buy in a second.

I played a bit of Icon but it was ****, they completely lost the magic they had.

Cleared this game twice! The story was actually pretty good too!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Beat 'em Ups is a genre that has suffered over the last decade. There are a handful of top tier offerings (Street fighter, MK, Tekken) and that's pretty much it, not nearly as many mid tier games as other genres imo

Advertisement