Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Possible Boards Festival 2020!

• 02-04-2019 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,690 ✭✭✭

Well folks, I had been meaning to start a thread like this for a while now. Especially when people keep making comments about when we can do our own festival.

I think most of ye know where I stand on this, happy to provide the venue and would love to be involved in the running of an event too.

I'd like some feedback from the knowledgeable people on here, between us we would have a huge amount of events attended and would know what we would like. So I have decided to open up this thread for a bit of an open conversation about it, I want to hear the mad ideas that people have, I want you to tell me if I'm wasting my time even trying, every opinion is welcome.

At the very least, it could be a few of us in a field drinking cans listening to a bluetooth speaker (which would still be fun for me anyways) or it could be the start of something truly unique. Something built from the ground up.

So there ye have it, I have done nothing in the way of funding or anything mad like that. At this stage all I'm looking for is some ideas and to see what might work. Thanks for reading through my rambling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Fair play. I await developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Build it and they will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭exilec

Bring Pearl Jam over . They love Ireland :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Avoid the August and June bank holidays (and EP weekend, obviously).

Its getting annoying that there are so many festivals wedged into those weekends!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭corm500

Can I start a Radiohead rumour for this? It works for every other festival ��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

corm500 wrote: »
    Can I start a Radiohead rumour for this? It works for every other festival ��

Aphex Twin and James too. :):D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

What a wonderful idea and would 100% want to be involved! :)

Needs a catchy, sexy name! :cool:
    And a good rumour - AC/DC, Pearl Jam and G'n'R - g'way ;)

Guess just make sure there's adequate facilities - a good toilet team to make sure there's decent flow :D Of people and sewerage.
    I wonder if you could find a toilet paper company to sponsor it?!?

A great thing in Rock im Park is everyone gets a bin bag and if they fill it up at the end of the weekend you get a tenner back :pac:

Would you want people camping and pissing in your field?
    Separate camps so that I won't have a similar EP experience where a 19ish year old told me that he would slash, destroy and ruin my tent/stuff because he and his friends didn't know me :confused::confused: (bunch of ....)

Buses to and from the main cities. Encourage carpooling with offer of beer tokens or something for everyone in a car with 4+ people (I know, drink driving - woohoo :rolleyes:)

Maybe have a charity partner or two also which would encourage volunteers and maybe a band or two may donate their time.

Maybe don't use Ticket Bastard to limit touts?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,968 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Aphex Twin and James too. :):D

*cough*

Daft Punk!

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Gap in the market for an Easter music festival. Just when it's starting to warm up and the evenings are longer. And most people have a 4 day weekend.

Downside is the date changes every year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

endainoz wrote: »
    happy to provide the venue

Location is important too, where is your venue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭roll

can we bring more than 24 cans of beer?! :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

If youre serious about it, maybe contact the people who run one of the smaller festivals like vantastival, ALS, Knocanstockan etc to see what the costs are.

For a start, there will be the following expenses before a band is even booked:
    Stages, equipment and rigging hire
    Lights and electricity generators
    Security and fencing
    Toilets and sanitation
    First aid station
    Permits licence and garda permission
    Soil checking reinforcement & pathways
    Insurance
    Ticket agent
    Marketing
    Art installations
    Etc

All these expenses add up and you could easily be taking 10s of thousands or more just for this. You might also need a booking agent or promoter to book the bands so that they know youre serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,690 ✭✭✭endainoz

Gap in the market for an Easter music festival. Just when it's starting to warm up and the evenings are longer. And most people have a 4 day weekend.

Location is important too, where is your venue?

Seen as the location is the West of Ireland a couple of miles from the sea, I think Easter would be a no go due to ground conditions, would have to be in around mid July I reckon.

Or May bank holiday perhaps?

There's a festival on nearly every weekend in Amsterdam.
    I say we all go over for a weekend or two, for learning purposes ðŸ˜

Or May bank holiday perhaps?

Same issue, ground would probably be not ready for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

The team that operate Bloodstock in the Uk were a group of people who met through Donnington. They decided to run their own festival and it has grown to be a very welll established Metal festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Ireland's very own Fyre festival :D

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭lc180

endainoz wrote: »
    Seen as the location is the West of Ireland a couple of miles from the sea.

Nile Rogers has been spotted in Galway, bass guitar in hand, asking locals for directions to your festival .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

If youre serious about it, maybe contact the people who run one of the smaller festivals like vantastival, ALS, Knocanstockan etc to see what the costs are.

For a start, there will be the following expenses before a band is even booked:
    Stages, equipment and rigging hire
    Lights and electricity generators
    Security and fencing
    Toilets and sanitation
    First aid station
    Permits licence and garda permission
    Soil checking reinforcement & pathways
    Insurance
    Ticket agent
    Marketing
    Art installations
    Etc

All these expenses add up and you could easily be taking 10s of thousands or more just for this. You might also need a booking agent or promoter to book the bands so that they know youre serious.

And most importantly, that 'dance licence' :D:D

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement

Gathering momentum. Keep at it, lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

Middle of August there seems to be a lull in gigs/festivals, in between alltogether now and EP. Could be a good time for the site too.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭kg703

Is this a mess?

Unless it’s a few of your mates playing in your garden the crew you would need on board is massive.

I run events as my job and a whole festival, while it seems easy is certainly anything but.

Then you have all your licenses etc

But if I’m playing along, if you could get M83 to play the entire hurry up we’re dreaming album with an indoor tent full of space visuals, that’d be great thanks

Nice one. Events manager on board. Fair play, Kg.

No not quite, though I did leave it fairly open for people to throw out wacky ideas and also to tell me I'm wasting my time.

In fairness it's a pretty big garden

Great! It's people like yourself that would be great to give advice.

I've already been in contact with a small event company based on the recommendation of a member here, sur lookit we'll see how it goes.

There might be a few boardsies who are in bands or know people who are in bands who might be able to give you a rough estimate of what they would charge to play.

Some festivals ask some bands/singers to play for no fee and just the exposure or a free ticket, but I'm sure Boarfest wants to look after the emerging arists with at least a few hundred quid and a bottle of buckfast

There might be a few boardsies who are in bands or know people who are in bands who might be able to give you a rough estimate of what they would charge to play.

Some festivals ask some bands/singers to play for no fee and just the exposure or a free ticket, but I'm sure Boarfest wants to look after the emerging arists with at least a few hundred quid and a bottle of buckfast
    Bore fest? An inauspicious moniker, Johnny. Back to the drawing board.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Rfrip

lc180 wrote: »
    Nile Rogers has been spotted in Galway, bass guitar in hand, asking locals for directions to your festival .

My favourite post so far this year!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Great idea if it can be pulled off. But as said organising something on this scale is a lot of work so you really need a com-mittee of 8 or 10 people with each of them taking responsibility for an individual section to put the festival together. Theres just so much to organise you really would need a good team of people to do it, everything from booking bands to staging and lighting, security, insurance, St.Johns Ambulance, portaloos, the list goes on and on. Its a massive undertaking for the first year but if it is a success then you have all the ground work laid for subsequent years.

You'd also need to get a really firm idea of costs and a budget. You'd have to find out whats the minimum amount of tickets that need to be sold to break even and then make a judgement call if you can sell that amount. No point putting on a great gig but then it all falls apart when there isnt enough money to pay bands and other outside contractors.

Anyway OP I hear Daft Punk havent toured in a while....

• Advertisement
Advertisement