Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DC Universe TV Show Thread

• 14-12-2018 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭

Creating this thread for any casting news for Future DC Universe Shows.
    Current Shows in development
    • Swamp Thing
    • Stargirl
    • Doom Patrol

Stargirl
    stargirl-dc-universe-logo-1131027-1280x0.jpeg

Plot
    Stargirl follows high school sophomore Courtney Whitmore (aka Stargirl), who inspires an unlikely group of young heroes — the Justice Society of America — to stop the villains of the past.
    Current cast that has been announced so far
    • Brec Bassinger as Courtney Whitmore (Stargirl)
    • Joel Mchale as Sylvester Pemberton (Starman)
    • Lou Ferrigno Jr as Rex Tyler (Hourman)
    • Brian Stapf as Ted Grant (Wildcat)
    • Anjelika Washington , Yvette Monreal and Christopher James Baker (undisclosed)

Swamp Thing
    swamp-thing-logo.jpg

Plot
    Swamp Thing centers on CDC researcher Abby Arcane, who returns to her childhood home of Houma, Louisiana, in order to investigate a deadly swamp-borne virus. While there, she develops a surprising bond with scientist Alec Holland — only to have him tragically taken from her. But as powerful forces descend on Houma, intent on exploiting the swamp’s mysterious properties for their own purposes, Abby will discover that the swamp holds mystical secrets, both horrifying and wondrous — and the potential love of her life may not be dead after all.
    • Crystal Reed as Abby Arcane,
    • Jennifer Beals as Sheriff Lucilia Cable
    • Andy Bean as Alec Holland
    • Derek Mears’ as Swamp Thing (in costume)
    • Will Patton as Avery Sunderland
    • Virginia Madsen Maria Sunderland
    • Kevin Durand as Jason Woodrue (Floronic Man)
    • Jeryl Prescott as Madame Xanadu
    • Ian Ziering as Daniel Cassidy (Blue Devil)

Doom Patrol
    doom-patrol.jpg

Plot
    The Doom Patrol’s members each suffered horrible accidents that gave them superhuman abilities — but also left them scarred and disfigured. Traumatized and downtrodden, the team found purpose through The Chief, who brought them together to investigate the weirdest phenomena in existence — and to protect Earth from what they find. Part support group, part Super Hero team, the Doom Patrol is a band of super-powered freaks who fight for a world that wants nothing to do with them. Picking up after the events of Titans, Doom Patrol will find these reluctant heroes in a place they never expected to be, called to action by none other than Cyborg, who comes to them with a mission hard to refuse, but with a warning that is hard to ignore: their lives will never, ever be the same.

• Matt Bomer as Larry Trainor in flashbacks/Voiceover for Negative Man
    • Matthew Zuk as Negative Man (in costume)
    • Brendan Fraser as Cliff Steele in flashbacks /voice of Robotoman
    • Riley Shanahan as Robotman(in costume)
    • Joivan Wade as Victor Stone (Cyborg)
    • Timothy Dalton is Niles Caulder (The Chief)
    • April Bowlby as Elasti-Woman
    • Diane Guerrero as Crazy Jane
    • Alan Tudyk as Mr. Nobody.

Once a trailer and release date has been announced for any of the above shows, then a separate thread can be created.

If any other shows on DC Universe are announced, use this thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,179 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Pretty impressive casting going on in these shows I have to say.

DC finally learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Stargirl Casting news
    Henry Thomas has been cast as Dr. Charles McNider, also known as Dr. Mid-Nite.

More Stargirl casting, this time three mebers of the Injustice Society

Joy Omanski cast as Paula Brooks (Tigress)
    Neil Hopkins cast as Lawrence "Crusher" Crock (Sportsmaster)
    Nelson Lee cast as Dragon King

Doom Patrol premieres February 15th 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I see Young Justice is back and the first 3 episodes are out

• Advertisement

‘Stargirl’: Luke Wilson Joins Cast Of DC Universe Series

https://deadline.com/2019/01/stargirl-luke-wilson-dc-comics-geoff-johns-1202531355/

Doom Patrol teaser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Well, one good thing about this is that Cyborg is in it. That's two DCEU characters that they have allowed to have a TV show with different actors/characterisations. So there's still hope of a Tyler Hoechlin Superman series :D

• Advertisement

RStargirl Casting news
    https://tvline.com/2019/02/22/stargirl-cast-amy-smart-mother-neil-jackson-dc-character/

Amy Smart has been cast as Barbara Whitmore, who — now that teenage Courtney (played by Brec Bassinger) is older — is jumping back into the workforce and striving to be the best mother and provider she can be to her daughter, her new husband (Legally Blonde‘s Luke Wilson), and her new stepson (Trae Romano).
    Other new Stargirl castings include English actor Neil Jackson (Absentia, Sleepy Hollow) and newcomer Hunter Sansone, each playing an “undisclosed DC character.”

First look at Stargirl
    STARGIRL-DCUO-watermarked.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=450&dpr=1.5

Also Swamp Thing premieres on May 31st

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

That costume reminds me of another costume

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Oh cool is that S.T.R.I.P.E in the background?

Oh cool is that S.T.R.I.P.E in the background?

Yep, looks like he is going to be huge.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,718 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's definitely a superhero costume!

pixelburp wrote: »
    That's definitely a superhero costume!
    At least it's better than the ones from Smallville and more recently, Legends of Tomorrow
    CvQddF2WEAABuWF.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,718 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh god, she looks so miserable in that right-hand shot; like her partner persuaded her to dress up for Halloween, and got snapped at the party :D

I know Titans wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but so far the DC Universe material has stayed very true to their comics origins - though a pet quibble is the insistence on those 'floating' eye masks. The CW do it a lot too and it always irritates me more than it rationally should. What's keeping the masks on their faces! :D

Star Girl kinda HAS to look corny though. She is the new Star Spangled Kid, after all. Star Girl is a later thing (when Jack Knight gives her the cosmic rod. I suppose there's no chance of seeing him in the series, instant mark out from me if so, but James Robinson has his IP under lock so not likely).

Cool chance to deep dive into the JSA if they wanted to there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

pixelburp wrote: »
    Oh god, she looks so miserable in that right-hand shot; like her partner persuaded her to dress up for Halloween, and got snapped at the party :D

I know Titans wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but so far the DC Universe material has stayed very true to their comics origins - though a pet quibble is the insistence on those 'floating' eye masks. The CW do it a lot too and it always irritates me more than it rationally should. What's keeping the masks on their faces! :D

In universe for the Arrowverse at least doesn't Barry create some special adhesive for Oliver when he first meets him?

• Advertisement

Just finished Titans!

Have you finished Titans?

Why are you reading this post?!?!

GO FINISH TITANS!

TITANS!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

https://deadline.com/2019/04/batman-game-of-thrones-star-will-portray-bruce-wayne-on-titans-dc-universe-1202593583/

Damn, that's going to be fascinating. Wasn't move too badly for an oul lad in Titans season 1. :pac:

Production on ‘Swamp Thing’ Abruptly Halted as Future of DC Universe Cast into Doubt
    The DC Universe series have been chugging along with shows like Titans and Doom Patrol, but production upheaval on the set of Swamp Thing may mean some major changes for the streaming service. A local outlet in North Carolina [via The Playlist], where the show is filming, reports that production was suddenly halted after only 10 episodes. The plan is now to re-write the final episode to provide a satisfying conclusion instead of sticking to the original plan to carry the story across thirteen episodes.

As the streaming wars heat up, it’s becoming clear that not every streaming service is going to make it. Yes, DC Universe has a large backlog of animated series and select movies, but among its original titles, you really only had Titans and Doom Patrol, and while those shows had their fans, that’s not enough to keep plugging away at original content in the hopes of building a subscriber base that’s being asked to make some tough decisions about subscriptions. DC Universe had to make the case that it was worth $8/month or $75/year (depending on your subscription option), and it looks like it’s struggling to make the argument. If Swamp Thing can’t even make it to its first full season order, what does that mean for other shows in the pipeline?

It’s possible that this could just be isolated to Swamp Thing and that higher-ups are unhappy with what they’ve seen so far and they’re cutting their losses. Either way, it’s certainly a bummer for fans of Swamp Thing, since an abbreviated first season means a second season is highly unlikely unless the show becomes a surprise sensation.

If DC Universe does fade, it will be interesting to see what Warner Bros. does with it. Will they try to fold it into a subscription with the DC Comics subscription? Will the shows end up on WB’s upcoming streaming service? The studio certainly has options, and perhaps an isolated genre channel meant just for their superhero properties was a bit of overreach.

http://collider.com/swamp-thing-dc-universe-problems/#images

Swamp Thing!

It will be a petty if the end this Universe as I've been really enjoying it.

Doom Patrol is fantastically bonkers

Had to have always been a realistic outcome, if indeed the news relating to Swamp Thing is an indicator. A service dedicated to just DC material was only ever going to be niche, at best, and the market is too saturated to justify the outlay DC expected. Wonder how much Netflix paid for the international rights to the properties.

Somebody had to be the next Yahoo, you gotta hit the market with more than 3, 4 shows (yes they had animated stuff but let's be honest it was the live action that had the best chance for mass appeal)

DC might be better going into a longterm partnership with Netflix now that would benefit both of them long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

News circulating now that the halt to Swamp Thing is not indicative of the future of the streaming service. Looks like they're still ploughing on.

To be honest I'd be surprised if it gets canned so soon given it's a joint venture between WB and DC. Reducing the episodes of Swamp Thing from 13 to 10 might just be a creative decision similar to how they ended Titans Season 1 an episode early.

https://screenrant.com/dc-universe-future-swamp-thing-shutdown/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

So, uh. Titan's is pretty god damn good.

I went into it fairly sceptical, Robin is a pretty-boy and the usual saviour plot.

But, god damn this show is good. I really like the plot line for Dick Grayson and the trauma he would have gone through growing up, even after Bruce adopted him.

• Advertisement

Sonics2k wrote: »
    So, uh. Titan's is pretty god damn good.

I went into it fairly sceptical, Robin is a pretty-boy and the usual saviour plot.

But, god damn this show is good. I really like the plot line for Dick Grayson and the trauma he would have gone through growing up, even after Bruce adopted him.

My only problem with Titans is it is unrelentingly dark. The main storyline is Dick is a total edgelord now but it's not enough so they have Jason show up as an even grimdarker edgelord :D

But I watched it straight through basically, really enjoyed it.

Advertisement