Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plug-in solar system

Options
  • 25-03-2019 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭

Anybody have any experience similar to the ones here?:
    https://www.pluginsolar.co.uk/

All sounds a bit 'too good to be true'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

It's the same as any other solar kit. They just word it to make it seem really easy to do yourself.
    You won't be able to connect it to your fuse board without an electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Doesn't connect to the fuse board, just to a fused spur. i.e. you wire it like an extra socket.

Been toying with the idea of taking the plunge. Easy way to tackle the low hanging fruit, i.e. the 200-400w baseload that the house is always consuming.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Doesn't connect to the fuse board, just to a fused spur. i.e. you wire it like an extra socket.

So you just wire it in on any other old circuit you feel like?
    Is there anything in the regs that says you can't do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mr Gumby

You can't 'back feed' a circuit, it would remain live even if tripped at the fuse board.

Mr Gumby wrote: »
    You can't 'back feed' a circuit, it would remain live even if tripped at the fuse board.

Inverters need mains to operate. Once the MCB tripped wouldn't the inverter stop sending 230v out to the spur?
    You'll still have DC voltage coming into the inverter from the panels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Mr Gumby wrote: »

They have anti-islanding protection. If something goes wrong and the circuit loses power, they automatically disconnect.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Look what I just spotted this evening. Damien Maguire is using a Mastervolt Soladin 600 :D

476916.png

The blue inverter in the back. Solar panels connection click into it and you plug it in any socket. Brilliant little yoke. Old but 100% fool proof. No need to do any wiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Thanks for all the replies. I know on Australia there was some warning that such systems were against the regs but I can't find anything for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mr Gumby

Sparks will say it has to be hard wired with an isolator both sides.
    The plug looks like a widow-marker, it relies on anti-islanding to not be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement