Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luggage lockers

Options
  • 30-03-2019 6:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,032 ✭✭✭✭

I was on a Lufthansa A330-300 yesterday and was totally disappointed with the size of the onboard luggage lockers, the aisle lockers were too small for a trolley bag and the middle lockers could only accept that bag sidewards, therefore taking up more space that it really needed.

For my day job, i travel with a slimline large suitcase that would never go into any airlines bag cage, but I can load it in the overheads of A320/330/777/787's, so I have a good idea what can be carried without infringing on the passengers space.

So why don't airlines install larger overhead lockers?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Some airlines tried newer design bins from airbus/boeing, and I understand the general concencus was it created the same problems just on a bigger scale, everyone bringing a large case into the cabin hugely slows down boarding,the general public not managing the available space in an efficient and fair manner is also an issue, and it’s almost impossible to police, I don’t have a percentage but the boarding process today is something like double the length it took 20 years ago before “cabin baggage” as we know it today became a thing. Aircraft simple weren’t designed for everyone to carry a case into the cabin, they were designed with designated spacious holds generally under the passenger cabin where the passengers luggage would be stored.
    Aircraft cabins aren’t the most spacious as it is and simply can’t accommodate everyone’s luggage.
    Even aircraft that have newer “larger bins” are at also being crammed with more seats, take for example an A320 at BA, they used to seat 168 pax, now, the same aircraft with the same amount of overhead lockers seat 180 pax.
    Even with new larger bins, 180 people all trying to fit cases overhead would be chaos and take ages.
    So it’s faster to always take a percentage of hand luggage and check it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

smurfjed wrote: »
    I was on a Lufthansa A330-300 yesterday and was totally disappointed with the size of the onboard luggage lockers, the aisle lockers were too small for a trolley bag and the middle lockers could only accept that bag sidewards, therefore taking up more space that it really needed.

For my day job, i travel with a slimline large suitcase that would never go into any airlines bag cage, but I can load it in the overheads of A320/330/777/787's, so I have a good idea what can be carried without infringing on the passengers space.

So why don't airlines install larger overhead lockers?

Does your suitcase meet the Lufthansa guidelines? Because LARGE isn't a word I'd use for a case that's carry on compliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Bring back free hold luggage or make it far cheaper than it is and the boarding problem would be reduced somewhat.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Bring back free hold luggage or make it far cheaper than it is and the boarding problem would be reduced somewhat.

Absolutely agree and in many ways a lot of airlines have done, but they don’t advertise it. Most carriers will now check in your hand luggage for free. I availed of this all last year when flying, was great, sailed through security and could relax so much more in the lounge without dragging a case.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,032 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Does your suitcase meet the Lufthansa guidelines? Because LARGE isn't a word I'd use for a case that's carry on compliant.
    My suitcase, not even close to their guidelines, but all I had with me was a backpack. Hence the reason I posted..
    For my day job, i travel with a slimline large suitcase that would never go into any airlines bag cage

• Advertisement
Advertisement