Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help football terms & flat/jumps racing

• 29-03-2019 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Hi,

I have seen several markets offered for the same match:

Ipswich v Hull - Ganador del partido
    Ipswich v Hull - 90 Minutes - SSBT
    Ipswich v Hull - 90 Minutes
    Ipswich v Hull - Match Result and 5 or More Goals in the Match
    Ipswich v Hull - Esito Finale 1X2

If I want to bet on the final result (inc extra time etc) which one is it? And what is 90 Minutes - SSBT?

On the horses, how does one tell if the race is flat, or over jumps?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭ Marcos Shallow Sneaker

Hi,
    I have seen several markets offered for the same match:
    Ipswich v Hull - Ganador del partido
    Ipswich v Hull - Match Result and 5 or More Goals in the Match
    Ipswich v Hull - Esito Finale 1X2

If I want to bet on the final result (inc extra time etc) which one is it? And what is 90 Minutes - SSBT?

There are hundred of markets on each match, 99% of which are standard 90mins, that just the way things are.

Maybe an extra 5mins circa, of injury time carries too much variance for bookies to consider: red cards may get issued, fatigue sets into one side, or goalies & FBs rush up from the other end in an 'all-or nothing' approach.

Usually dictated by course location, e.g. Dundalk is all-weather (polytrack {wax-coated synthetic}) and flat. Suggest you stick with 'kick the ball' markets if unaware if a horse will jump or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Hi,

I'll take the hard one.

Have a look at the racecards
    e.g.
    https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/racecards

Today Wetherby and Fontwell are National Hunt meetings, so in the race description for all the races, it says one of 3 things:

Hurdle - small obstacles
    Chase - big obstacles
    NH Flat - no obstacles (known as the Bumper)

Oh, there's also cross country races too, but they have obstacles also.

For the flat meetings (today it's Lingfield, Newcastle and Dundalk), there are no such descriptions in the racecards, so therefore, you can assume these are flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

There are hundred of markets on each match, 99% of which are standard 90mins, that just the way things are.

Suggest you stick with 'kick the ball' markets if unaware if a horse will jump or not.

Would suggest to stop gambling altogether if he cant grasp the basic concepts he has posted :eek: guys like this are a bookies wet dream

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Maybe an extra 5mins circa, of injury time carries too much variance for bookies to consider: red cards may get issued, fatigue sets into one side, or goalies & FBs rush up from the other end in an 'all-or nothing' approach.

I've never ever seen a market for just the literal 90 minutes on the clock. "90 mins" in bookies terms is when the final whistle goes to end the regulation match, so includes all injury/stoppage time but excludes any extra time.

When ET is a possibility a lot of bookies will give a market of "To Qualify for Next Round" (or "To Lift Trophy" if it's a final). So this is a way of betting on the result after Extra Time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭MrCostington

kerry37 wrote: »
    Would suggest to stop gambling altogether if he cant grasp the basic concepts he has posted :eek: guys like this are a bookies wet dream

You assume a lot without knowing why I ask these questions.

• Advertisement

I've never ever seen a market for just the literal 90 minutes on the clock. "90 mins" in bookies terms is when the final whistle goes to end the regulation match, so includes all injury/stoppage time but excludes any extra time.

When ET is a possibility a lot of bookies will give a market of "To Qualify for Next Round" (or "To Lift Trophy" if it's a final). So this is a way of betting on the result after Extra Time.

Thanks.

But here https://www.unibet.co.uk/betting/guides/football-betting-terms-1.1037659 it does not define 90 mins but does say:

Full time result: In Full Time Result betting, often known as 1x2 betting, a bet is placed on either the home team to win, away team to win or the game to end in a draw. This bet does not include the final score after extra time or penalties which may happen in knockout games, so only the final score after the second half counts for this bet.

I'll take the hard one.

Have a look at the racecards
    e.g.
    https://www.sportinglife.com/racing/racecards

Today Wetherby and Fontwell are National Hunt meetings, so in the race description for all the races, it says one of 3 things:

Hurdle - small obstacles
    Chase - big obstacles
    NH Flat - no obstacles (known as the Bumper)

Oh, there's also cross country races too, but they have obstacles also.

For the flat meetings (today it's Lingfield, Newcastle and Dundalk), there are no such descriptions in the racecards, so therefore, you can assume these are flat.

Many thanks!

So is NH Flat the same as flat?

Your right, overlooked that. But live bookie markets (except exchanges) often close the book shut around 87mins, as many a goal comes in the gusto of the final few mins (inc. injury time).

Seen one stat that there is a 15% chance of goal after the 79th min.
    Update: Highest goal period UKPL18-19 is 80-90m. Burnley & Fulham each had 14goals each against them in last 10mins.

Only ever touch the 1stGS markets as part of mixed e/w accas.

Any takers on the SSBT bit?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Many thanks!

So is NH Flat the same as flat?

Sort of :D

There are no obstacles during the race, so in that sense, it's the same as 'flat'.

But it's different in that these are horses that will be going on to race over obstacles in the future. Generally, they're young horses in jumping terms, but old when compared to 'real' flat horses. The distances involved are greater too.

You'll generally get one of these NH Flat races ('the bumper') at the end of a jumps meeting. On the other hand, a 'real' flat racing meeting has nothing but flat.

In fairness, this is something that confuses a lot of people when they first become interested in horse racing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Never heard of it myself. Might it be a Spanish term, like the 'Ganador del partido' and 'Esito Finale' parts of your first post?

Mind me asking where you took that from anyway? Just curious as to why it's in Spanish.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭phantasmagoria

Self service betting terminal?

Duffryman wrote: »
    Never heard of it myself. Might it be a Spanish term, like the 'Ganador del partido' and 'Esito Finale' parts of your first post?

Mind me asking where you took that from anyway? Just curious as to why it's in Spanish.

From a British bookie XML feed

Self service betting terminal?

Is that a guess?

Your right, overlooked that. But live bookie markets (except exchanges) often close the book shut around 87mins, as many a goal comes in the gusto of the final few mins (inc. injury time).

Seen one stat that there is a 15% chance of goal after the 79th min.
    Update: Highest goal period UKPL18-19 is 80-90m. Burnley & Fulham each had 14goals each against them in last 10mins.

Only ever touch the 1stGS markets as part of mixed e/w accas.

By close the book, I assume stop taking bets, during the game?

If one wanted to bet on the final score (as you would get reported on TV etc), and place the bet before the games starts, is it 90 mon that you bet on?

It means

Self Service Betting Terminal

You assume a lot without knowing why I ask these questions.

Didn't assume anything other than what you posted. Genuinely if you dont know what those terms mean, they're the simplest terms in racing and football, you shouldn't be gambling as you clearly dont know what you're doing.

That's not having a pop at you. Its genuine advice. Best of luck anyway whatever you decide

Didn't assume anything other than what you posted. Genuinely if you dont know what those terms mean, they're the simplest terms in racing and football, you shouldn't be gambling as you clearly dont know what you're doing.

That's not having a pop at you. Its genuine advice. Best of luck anyway whatever you decide

OK and apologies for the blunt reply. I have a research interest in this for now.

Self Service Betting Terminal

What is that, something in the shop? Why do the odds differ to just "90 minutes" market?

What is that, something in the shop? Why do the odds differ to just "90 minutes" market?

Odds displayed on the sheets in shops were often put there early that morning or even late the previous evening. The SSBT are "up to date" so the odds would he different. That can work both ways with odds being better or worse on the terminal.

To answer what it is, it's a little machine in a bookies that let's you pop money in and place bets, it prints the betting slip for you and if it wins you just go to the counter like normal to get paid

• Advertisement

By close the book, I assume stop taking bets, during the game?

Yes, normally and at bookies discretion, perhaps as there is usually more 'action' in the 80-90th min, than at e.g. the 27/62th min.
    If one wanted to bet on the final score (as you would get reported on TV etc), and place the bet before the games starts, is it 90 mon that you bet on?

Essentially, but may (or may not) include a few mins of injury or delay time, normally that's only 3-5mins or so, so in essence it's '90mins of active-play time'.

Seperate to what you might see at a FACup final match, whereby an 'extra time', set at 30mins, would commence after the 90mins, and then pen shootout if still a draw after all that. On some occasions it may go to 'event replay' instead of the ET, pending round stage or competition.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Advertisement