Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a mortgage with 2 dependants

Options
  • 29-03-2019 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭

Ok so this might sound like a ridiculous question but are there any banks/buildinf society's etc that are favourable to giving mortgages to a couple with two dependants?
    If we put into a mortgage calculator that we have no children we are approved in principle for €50k more than when we put in our two dependants. €50k!! (We don't have childcare costs!)
    I was advised to look into the Rebuilding Ireland Home loan but the square footage of our house is too big.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Went through this myself it had a dramatic effect on what we could borrow we had very high childcare costs as well and only barely got the house we wanted in the end. My wife was self employed to boot which further reduced it.

The policy is too restrictive imo and a bit of common sense should be used when the applicant can clearly and comfortably afford the repayments.

I don’t know of any bank that is more favourable to couples with kids to answer your question. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 23,352 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’ve three kids and because my wife is a stay at home wife the bank reckon I’ve 4 dependants.

My mortgages is less about 2.5 tines my salary but I can’t get move mortgage yet alone house as they wont give me the one I have.

My LTV is about 30%

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭kirving

clearly and comfortably afford the repayments.

Yeah, you might be fine for a while. Until the grandparent who minds the kids can't do it any longer due to inevitable health issues, or the kids go to college in another city.

That restrictions are in place for very good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Yeah, you might be fine for a while. Until the grandparent who minds the kids can't do it any longer due to inevitable health issues, or the kids go to college in another city.

That restrictions are in place for very good reason.

I understand the reasons for the restrictions but how many childless couples get a mortgage and go off and have 2-3-4 kids? I know lots of people like that.

In my case I had no grandparent looking after kids and was at the peak of what childcare was going to ever be, indeed it has reduced massively now they are all in school. I also had a low LTV and was saving twice the proposed monthly mortgage while paying rent. The advisor in the local branch agreed the amount we qualified for was ridiculous in the circumstances but her hands were tied by this formula they had to adhere to. It worked out ok in my case in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭xalot

Yeah it has a massive impact, we could only get a mortgage of 3 times with one provider, the rest would only give us 2.5 times. Luckily we had over 20% of a deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Any local brokers able to help?

We just had the one child when we were buying but looking back, our broker worked wonders in getting us what we needed, there was a lot of negotiating with the bank. This was UK though so I don't know how that works back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

How does the bank know how many dependants you have?
    Hypothetically. If you've no creche fees coming out of your account every month for example.
    You could say two now, and your partner could be 8 months pregnant with triplets and the bank doesn't know.
    You could say you've none and I'm not sure they'd know (although this would be lying).
    Obviously you'd have to be very careful of your repayment capacity.

maxsmum wrote: »
    Hypothetically. If you've no creche fees coming out of your account every month for example.
    You could say two now, and your partner could be 8 months pregnant with triplets and the bank doesn't know.
    You could say you've none and I'm not sure they'd know (although this would be lying).

They’ll can see the child benefits hitting the bank.

Although to be honest I think they just take your word

• Administrators Posts: 53,483 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It would be fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

ted1 wrote: »
    I’ve three kids and because my wife is a stay at home wife the bank reckon I’ve 4 dependants.

My mortgages is less about 2.5 tines my salary but I can’t get move mortgage yet alone house as they wont give me the one I have.

My LTV is about 30%

but you do have 4 dependents

there's no 'reckons' about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭alwald

Gee_G wrote:
    I was advised to look into the Rebuilding Ireland Home loan.

I am curious to know too so I entered some random figures in their calculator with and without dependants and compared them to other banks and it appears that they offer less than banks.

Is their calculator accurate?

lawred2 wrote: »
    but you do have 4 dependents

there's no 'reckons' about it

I’ve way more than 4, there’s s dozen or so baristas around south Dublin that are dependant on my wife making her daily appearance!!

I’ve way more than 4, there’s s dozen or so baristas around south Dublin that are dependant on my wife making her daily appearance!!

:D

They’ll can see the child benefits hitting the bank.

Although to be honest I think they just take your word

Our creche fees and child benefit don't Appear anywhere on our bank account. It just occurred to me I doubt the bank would know. Although it would be dishonest not to declare a child I agree. Not sure it would be fraud? As in a criminal offence?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,581 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Probably fraud but probably unlikely to be detected.
    Of course any fraud is not to be advocated on this board.

Our creche fees and child benefit don't Appear anywhere on our bank account. It just occurred to me I doubt the bank would know. Although it would be dishonest not to declare a child I agree. Not sure it would be fraud? As in a criminal offence?

to be correct - they don't appear on the bank statements you're presenting to the bank..

but surely there must be payments out to that account from the account statements you're presenting?

And if there are - they will be questioned and you'll have to furnish statements for that account as well.

lawred2 wrote: »
    to be correct - they don't appear on the bank statements you're presenting to the bank..

but surely there must be payments out to that account from the account statements you're presenting?

And if there are - they will be questioned and you'll have to furnish statements for that account as well.

In my case child benefit always went to a state savings account for the child so never hit my account. Creche is paid via Revolut. We recently had a mortgage application and did declare the child but just reading this thread, I'm not sure the bank would ever have known different. In circumstances where the OP doesn't have childcare fees etc and feels they would manage repayments comfortably is the bank being reasonable applying a blanket penalty for dependants?

In my case child benefit always went to a state savings account for the child so never hit my account. Creche is paid via Revolut. We recently had a mortgage application and did declare the child but just reading this thread, I'm not sure the bank would ever have known different. In circumstances where the OP doesn't have childcare fees etc and feels they would manage repayments comfortably is the bank being reasonable applying a blanket penalty for dependants?

but you must have been paying sizeable amounts into Revolut?

and I've heard banks are now looking for statements from Revolut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

lawred2 wrote:
    and I've heard banks are now looking for statements from Revolut.

Yes they look for Revolut statements, anything unusual going out of your account to another account will be queried.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭zreba

It's a mortgage fraud you're discussing here. A criminal offence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭PCros

I understand the reasons for the restrictions but how many childless couples get a mortgage and go off and have 2-3-4 kids? I know lots of people like that.

Can anyone comment on this as I've always wondered about it.

Couple A has 2 kids and gets €50k less.
    Couple B has no kids, gets €50k more but will have 2 kids in 2 years.

Wheres the common sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭irelandrover

PCros wrote: »

Wheres the common sense?

One couple has 2 kids when applying and the other has none.
    The bank doesnt base its offer on what it guesses happens in the future

Wheres the common sense?

common sense wouldn't be expecting banks to tell the future anyway

One couple has 2 kids when applying and the other has none.
    The bank doesnt base its offer on what it guesses happens in the future

I still think its a bit flawed and it should be included into the overall amount of the loan to begin with for everyone.

It would be an interesting statistic to know how many couples have children pre/post mortgage application.

• Administrators Posts: 53,483 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Pretty much the same as any change in circumstances.

You could have your salary slashed.
    You could get sacked.
    You could be made redundant.
    You could win the lottery.
    You could end up in prison.

Bank can only go on the present status.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I still think its a bit flawed and it should be included into the overall amount of the loan to begin with for everyone.

It would be an interesting statistic to know how many couples have children pre/post mortgage application.

How many kids would you assume everyone would have?

That's a fair enough point.

How many kids would you assume everyone would have?

I have no idea hence it would be an interesting to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭zreba

Wheres the common sense?

How do you know the Couple B will have 2 kids in 2 years? Couple's A costs are material, couple's B costs are potential and only a risk at this stage (may not happen). Banks can estimate the risks as they wish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Thank you all for your replies.
    We are dealing with a broker at the moment after being told by a bank that they would only give us less than half the value of the house we want to buy. It just seems a bit bizarre to me, I understand dependants obviously do put a reasonable strain on finances but to make a €50k difference is a bit much considering it's only a small mortgage we're looking for (we live in the country).
    Anyway, I guess it's back to the drawing board for a while!

Advertisement