Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best place to park for day in Derry (Monday)

• 28-03-2019 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

Hi, I’m bringing my kids to visit Derry soon and wondered where is the handiest place to leave my car for a few hours, arriving lunchtime Monday. Ideally close to city walls to do the walk.
    Thanks in advance and looking forward to visiting your city.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

Hi, I’m bringing my kids to visit Derry soon and wondered where is the handiest place to leave my car for a few hours, arriving lunchtime Monday. Ideally close to city walls to do the walk.

There's a 1 hour no return limit on free parking in the city centre.

You could park in Foyleside shopping centre - you can walk onto the city walls just outside the entrance to Foyleside. Parking fees are reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

waffleman wrote: »
    There's a 1 hour no return limit on free parking in the city centre.

You could park in Foyleside shopping centre - you can walk onto the city walls just outside the entrance to Foyleside. Parking fees are reasonable.

Sounds perfect, thank you.

Another option is Cranagh Terrace. It's the closest you can leave your car for free all day.

However it's about a 1 mile walk along queen's quay to the city centre. If it's a good day it is a nice walk - that walk has had a lot of investment in recent years and leads to the peace bridge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

There's free spaces along Roseville Street in the Bogside, under the shadow of the walls. Worth taking a walk around there for the monuments and murals along with the walls.

There's free spaces along Roseville Street in the Bogside, under the shadow of the walls. Worth taking a walk around there for the monuments and murals along with the walls.

I was thinking closest free parking for someone coming in along the strand road who doesnt know the city.

But yeah bogside is good for free parking also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Orbitaal

There are lots of options. Carpark on bishop Street is reasonable and leaves you right in the city centre. Foyleside is a little more expensive but also right in the middle of the city. My tips if you want free parking would be to park at columbs park and walk across the peace bridge into town. It's a ten minute walk. Look for a street called browning drive on Google maps and it's beside there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The multi storey car parks are relatively cheap in Derry.

To park up for a few hours won't cost you that much. Foyleside Shopping Centre would be your handiest option and it'll not cost you more than £5 for 3 or 4 hours.

Depending on the edge of your kids, and your free time in the city, also maybe worth a walk over the new Peace Bridge
    http://www.irelands-hidden-gems.com/derry-peace-bridge.html

a trip to the Tower Museum
    https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186482-d190011-Reviews-Tower_Museum-Derry_County_Londonderry_Northern_Ireland.html

or the Museum of Free Derry
    https://www.museumoffreederry.org/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Orbitaal wrote: »
    My tips if you want free parking would be to park at columbs park and walk across the peace bridge into town. It's a ten minute walk. Look for a street called browning drive on Google maps and it's beside there.

Alot of city centre workers would park there, not sure if you'd get a spot after 9am.

Cranagh Terrace was mentioned above and that's where I would park in the evenings but it's right by the uni and tech so is also very busy during the day. Might not be so bad after lunchtime. My advice would be to try there first and if you've no luck head to Bishop Street car park. Will only cost a few quid there and it's literally on the walls.

I think for a visitor coming into the town and not knowing where different places are, it would be silly to troop off looking for Cranagh Terrace etc, when just driving into the city centre and parking in the Foyleside is the handy option.

Edit: I'm from Derry and don't know where Cranagh Terrace is!

You are all so helpful- if this is an indication of Derry people I’m going to have a great visit:)

• Advertisement

I'm sure you'll enjoy the city.
    Its like Galway, compact and not too much walking involved.

How long do you plan to be there for?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

NIMAN wrote: »
    Edit: I'm from Derry and don't know where Cranagh Terrace is!

Most people would call the whole street Lawrence Hill. ;)

@OP

If you are looking for somwhere to get lunch in the city centre, I'd recommend the BrickWork. Nice spot.

https://brickworkderry.com/

I'm sure you'll enjoy the city.
    Its like Galway, compact and not too much walking involved.

How long do you plan to be there for?

I’m taking a detour en route from Galway to Belfast so will only be in Derry for the afternoon. I’ll have time for lunch and a walk before I continue to Belfast. Kids are 12 and 13 so well able for a long walk.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Most people would call the whole street Lawrence Hill. ;)

Same as that but when I looked at google maps the bottom half of the street was marked Cranagh Terrace so went with that.

I’m taking a detour en route from Galway to Belfast so will only be in Derry for the afternoon. I’ll have time for lunch and a walk before I continue to Belfast. Kids are 12 and 13 so well able for a long walk.

I was thinking more that they mightn't be interested in the museums, hence asking their ages.

Re: eating, if you don't fancy going into a restaurant, In the Foyleside Shopping Centre on the top floor theres a food quarter, which has a load of different outlets. There's a Supermac burger joint, a Chinese, a pizza place, a sandwich bar etc, so convenient spot to get a quick bite. Handy if you are only finding time to walk the walls and don't want to stray too far out of the city centre.

Well?

Did you make the trip?

If so, what did you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭serfboard

From Galway and visit Derry a few times a year. I always park in Foyleside, very handy.

As for things to do, there are some great walking tours of the Walls and the Bogside. If you have time also, try and walk over the Peace Bridge to the former British Army barracks and to St. Columb's park also.

Very friendly people in Derry.

Oh yeah, one last thing - Sainsburys! Plenty of parking, it's a very big shop and you'll get great value for your Euro at the moment!

Edit: Just re-read and saw that your visit is over. Leaving this in case it might be useful for others.

Well?

Did you make the trip?

If so, what did you think?

Coming in a few weeks :)

serfboard wrote: »
    From Galway and visit Derry a few times a year. I always park in Foyleside, very handy.

As for things to do, there are some great walking tours of the Walls and the Bogside. If you have time also, try and walk over the Peace Bridge to the former British Army barracks and to St. Columb's park also.

Very friendly people in Derry.

Oh yeah, one last thing - Sainsburys! Plenty of parking, it's a very big shop and you'll get great value for your Euro at the moment!

Edit: Just re-read and saw that your visit is over. Leaving this in case it might be useful for others.

Visit isn’t over - I’m coming in a couple of weeks. Thanks for all the info - am looking forward to Sainsbury’s already!

• Advertisement

Apologies, I assume you were coming today.

Just re-read your OP, and see that it says 'soon'.

Anyway, enjoy it. I wouldn't spend too much time in Sainsburys. I assume you have supermarkets in Galway? They are all kinda the same.

I'd have to agree on Sainsbury's - good for parking and walking into city centre along the quay but if yer heading for Belfast after Derry anyway I'm sure there's plenty of Tescos (cheaper than Sainsbury's) there - you could save a fair bit on spirits compared to Galway if you wanna stock up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭serfboard

Anyway, enjoy it. I wouldn't spend too much time in Sainsburys.
    I'd agree not to spend too much time in Sainsburys if you haven't too much time - there's plenty else to do besides. I only mentioned it as most likely the OP will literally be passing by the door and it's a handy place to stop and park and possibly more accessible than some of the ones in Belfast. She can also walk from there along the riverfront into town, and on that walk, there's a cafe called Primrose where she could stop for lunch. If it's a nice day and you can manage to get a table outside, it's lovely to sit there overlooking the river.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Asda is much better than Sainsburys'

threes a massive one in Strabane if you pass through on your route from Derry to Galway

Well guys, I was among you today and had a lovely afternoon. Parked in Williams street as came into town from wrong side for foyleside and panicked! Anyway parking was great value and handy for bogside. Felt very moving to see the locations of the Bloody Sunday march and killings. Enjoyed the artwork on the houses and walked the city walls. Went up to peace bridge and had a quick look in shops too. Derry girls mural finished the walk off nicely.
    Thank you to all who helped us enjoy our trip to Derry. Well worth the long detour :)

Advertisement