Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to Half Marathon

Options
  • 22-03-2019 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking for a bit of advise.

I have been strength training for 18 months now, 3 times a week. I started running twice a week at the end of January using the C25k app.

I've now decided that i'd like to do a half marathon so have signed up for the Phoenix Park one in September.

As I really enjoy both strength training and running, i'd like to keep both up but I definitely don't want to burn out.

How do you think the following is for a weekly training plan

Monday - Strength & conditioning
    Tuesday - Run & strength
    Wednesday - Rest
    Thursday - Run
    Friday - Strength & conditioning
    Saturday - Long run
    Sunday - Rest

I have signed up for a few lead in runs too

5 km - Weekly, (until my long runs exceed 5k) Avondale Forest Park Run
    5 mile - 15th June, Phoenix Park
    10 km - 21st July, South Dublin
    10 mile - 10th August, Graiguenamanagh, Kilkenny
    Half marathon - 21st September, Phoenix Park

Finally, i'me between using the Nike Running App or the Zen Labs half marathon app for training. Has anyone used one or the other or preferably both and advise?

Many thanks in advance,
    Niamh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

My 2c would be that while it’s very possible to do the half marathon, it’s unlikely you will improve much as a runner giving that king of schedule. With running, there’s only so much you can improve by just going out a running/jogging a few easy miles. Eventually you need to start doing harder sessions of fast running, intervals etc which are much more taxing. If your SC sessions were also intense then that’s where the burn out risk would be quite high. So you should look to prioritize one over the other. If the half is important drop some of the sc and just run more.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Ballybog

I only started running last year, so a total novice building up the miles slowly. I started with the 5k parkruns and slowly built up the distance working my way up to 10km runs etc, but still a very slow runner.

I had foolishly signed up for the Wicklow half, thinking I would build up my base faster :) Alas, did the run on Sunday and struggled from 18km onward, just didn't have the miles on my legs just yet. Managed to complete the distance, but didn't enjoy the last 3km....

As a novice runner myself, my only advice would be to make sure to build up enough long runs into your plan to make the half a more enjoyable experience than I had :)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭R.F.

Ballybog wrote: »
    I only started running last year, so a total novice building up the miles slowly. I started with the 5k parkruns and slowly built up the distance working my way up to 10km runs etc, but still a very slow runner.

I had foolishly signed up for the Wicklow half, thinking I would build up my base faster :) Alas, did the run on Sunday and struggled from 18km onward, just didn't have the miles on my legs just yet. Managed to complete the distance, but didn't enjoy the last 3km....

As a novice runner myself, my only advice would be to make sure to build up enough long runs into your plan to make the half a more enjoyable experience than I had :)

Doing my 1st half marathon on the 28th April in Wexford. I am nervously excited about it

My longest distance is 15KM, I have done this now 3 times in the last 6 weeks. I generally just do 5km and 10km's to practice and I have entered a number of 5 and 10km races this year. I was at Wicklow last sunday and did the 10km within 50 mins, which for me is a very good.

Can I ask what time you got for the half?

Good luck with the half, sounds like you're doing much better than I am :)

My time wasn't great, I'm a very slow runner now to be honest - a golden oldie. My time was 2hr 17 - so a far cry from sub 2hr ....

Good luck with the half, sounds like you're doing much better than I am :)

My time wasn't great, I'm a very slow runner now to be honest - a golden oldie. My time was 2hr 17 - so a far cry from sub 2hr ....

the fact you did it is great. I am aiming for 2 hours

looking at the times from this year though, jesus I am a long way off!!

• Advertisement

What's the route like on the Wexford half, flat or hilly ? I'd like to try a less hilly half than the Wicklow one next :)

50 min 10km on that course is good going.

To be honest I havent a clue if it is hilly or flat. Hopefully it wont be like last weeks :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

What's the route like on the Wexford half, flat or hilly ? I'd like to try a less hilly half than the Wicklow one next :)

50 min 10km on that course is good going.

It's not flat but not as hilly as Wicklow. Not sure if the route will be the usual version through Johnstown or last year's iteration. Here's last year's thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105887368

Huzzah! wrote: »
    It's not flat but not as hilly as Wicklow. Not sure if the route will be the usual version through Johnstown or last year's iteration. Here's last year's thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=105887368

Are you doing it this year too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

R.F. wrote: »
    Are you doing it this year too?

Not this year, no.

• Advertisement
Advertisement